Used 1998 Dodge Durango SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Dodge Durango SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

Great SUV
By JTIP

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I love this suv. It looks better than all others in my opinion, the towing ability and power are superb,have owned for 3 years now and no problems other than new brakes. A lot of issues that happen to used vehicles are from a lack of maintenance. No ball joint problems here,but we don't take off road. Only thing we added was remote start, lighted running boards, and new Michelins. The tires make a huge difference in ride quality. Would buy another one!

aggressive styling, best looking suv out there, power for towing my boat, room for kids and groceries, comfortable ride-our friends have a '98 4Runner and it beats you to death

gas mileage gas mileage gas mileage

No Problems
By soFarSoGood

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought by 98 Durango used in 2000 with 46,000 miles. It's now at 90,000 and I have had no problems with it at all (besides getting it stolen, then returned). Nothing has fallen off, nothing is loose, and I keep it looking like new. The only thing negative I can say is that the gas mileage is starting to hurt. But, who knew 4 years ago that gas would be so expensive. I must say, though, I've not had the terrible gas mileage I'm reading about on here. I've been able to get 19 mpg on the highway with 92 octane, and about 15 in the city. Must be different driving habits. Oh, and change your air filter and keep your plugs clean... it works wonders.

Cavernous interior. Lots of cargo space with no third seat. Aggressive styling. Nice interior layout.

Suspension - I don't mind it riding like a truck, but I've driven 3/4 ton trucks with better suspension.

Never Again
By Kelly L

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I loved it at first, but then I hit 70k miles. YIKES!! Needed a whole new transmission for the tune of $3,600. Now the A/C evaporator has a leak - $1,100. Have had to replace radiator, water pump, thermostat, ball joints, etc. Has a minor oil leak - who knows where that will lead. On the positive, has great room for the 2 car seats and all of their gear, but am now looking into a mini-van, which is what we were trying to avoid in buying the Durango!! Poor gas mileage.

3rd Row Seat, great in the MN snow, great interior room, love the exterior design, isn't a mini-van, which is why we bought in the first place.

Improve the gas mileage and quality... The quality is just plain poor. Shouldn't have so many problems with a car that only has 74k miles!

Love my Dodge
By ushowilook

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

First, dodge vehicle i ever owned and all i have to say is I LOVE IT.

mileage computer

needs to get lots better fuel mileage.

Great Tow vehicle!
By grndsm

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I got an awesome deal on my 98, back in 02. So I used $$$ left in my truck budget to completely rebuild its front end (all 8 new Moog ball joint). The difference was amazing! Overall, gas mileage was poor (11-12mpg). But I had ZERO other problems with the truck and it now has 148k miles!

Styling! 4x4 and AWD transfer case (only offered in '98 and '99) Great towing capability.

Ball joints, ball joints, ball joints. I guess Dodge didn't listen and will now be dealing a NTSA...