Used 1998 Dodge Durango SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

1998 Dodge Durango SUV

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

No Problems
By soFarSoGood

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought by 98 Durango used in 2000 with 46,000 miles. It's now at 90,000 and I have had no problems with it at all (besides getting it stolen, then returned). Nothing has fallen off, nothing is loose, and I keep it looking like new. The only thing negative I can say is that the gas mileage is starting to hurt. But, who knew 4 years ago that gas would be so expensive. I must say, though, I've not had the terrible gas mileage I'm reading about on here. I've been able to get 19 mpg on the highway with 92 octane, and about 15 in the city. Must be different driving habits. Oh, and change your air filter and keep your plugs clean... it works wonders.

Favorite Features

Cavernous interior. Lots of cargo space with no third seat. Aggressive styling. Nice interior layout.

Suggested Improvements

Suspension - I don't mind it riding like a truck, but I've driven 3/4 ton trucks with better suspension.

Never Again
By Kelly L

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I loved it at first, but then I hit 70k miles. YIKES!! Needed a whole new transmission for the tune of $3,600. Now the A/C evaporator has a leak - $1,100. Have had to replace radiator, water pump, thermostat, ball joints, etc. Has a minor oil leak - who knows where that will lead. On the positive, has great room for the 2 car seats and all of their gear, but am now looking into a mini-van, which is what we were trying to avoid in buying the Durango!! Poor gas mileage.

Favorite Features

3rd Row Seat, great in the MN snow, great interior room, love the exterior design, isn't a mini-van, which is why we bought in the first place.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the gas mileage and quality... The quality is just plain poor. Shouldn't have so many problems with a car that only has 74k miles!

Love my Dodge
By ushowilook

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

First, dodge vehicle i ever owned and all i have to say is I LOVE IT.

Favorite Features

mileage computer

Suggested Improvements

needs to get lots better fuel mileage.

Great Tow vehicle!
By grndsm

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I got an awesome deal on my 98, back in 02. So I used $$$ left in my truck budget to completely rebuild its front end (all 8 new Moog ball joint). The difference was amazing! Overall, gas mileage was poor (11-12mpg). But I had ZERO other problems with the truck and it now has 148k miles!

Favorite Features

Styling! 4x4 and AWD transfer case (only offered in '98 and '99) Great towing capability.

Suggested Improvements

Ball joints, ball joints, ball joints. I guess Dodge didn't listen and will now be dealing a NTSA...

Durango
By Max Weltzin

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Excellent design, agressive looks.

Favorite Features

POWER, POWER, POWER!

Suggested Improvements

A few more creature comforts.