1998 Dodge Durango Consumer Reviews

1998 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

1998 Durango Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Adored this car
By AEpixie7

1998 Dodge Durango 4dr SUV 4WD

My parents purchased this car when I was in middle school, and passed it down to me as my first car. We live in an area of heavy snow at times, and I swear this car has gotten me through 2 to 3 foot snow drifts without a problem. It now has 210,000 miles on it, has been in 2 wrecks, but it still runs EXTREMELY well. Very reliable and great in extreme weather. I will sincerely miss it when the time comes.

Favorite Features

High ground clearance in the snow, great on wet or dirt roads, reliable, and very stylish, compared to other SUVs. Also, great interior options and sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Obviously, with any large SUV, fuel economy is a problem. However, a lot of large SUVs these days require premium, and the Durango has always run well on midgrade.

Ball joint blues
By Ball joint blues

1998 Dodge Durango 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Durango used, had it checked out by my mechanic and then took it on a long trip. (OK, I know, that was dumb). When I went to get the alignment done, they said they couldn't do it because of bad ball joints. It was covered under warranty AND so was the next set 10K miles later. Last summer I had to replace the ball joints again. It has a nice inside but my power windows gave out around 130k miles. I drove it to 202K miles and the 4WD has gone out. I kept very good maintenance on it but stuff has just starting going. The front bumper is rusting.

Favorite Features

How the seats fold down. This was huge in 1998. The leather seats are comfortable but it is LOUD inside.

Suggested Improvements

Ball joints. Gas mileage.

Me and my Durango
By Gigi

1998 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I was the first owner and with a little help on the gas mileage, I would never give it up. Body still good, interior quality was very good after all the years and the people no real wear and tear to speak of. Drives like a car and makes me feel safe. Stereo needs to be changed but...

Favorite Features

Just the whole car. I really love it.

Suggested Improvements

Mileage. Oh and I do have a bit of an issue with the wall mirrors:)

My Best Vehicle
By janbon

1998 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I've been driving my Durango for 7 years, longer than any other vehicle I've ever owned, and I plan to drive it for a long time to come. I am getting ready to have the trans rebuilt, it's been messing up some for a couple of years, and with 154k miles, I can see why it would. But it hasn't broken down on me because of it. I love this vehicle. I do wish the gas mileage was better, but with the performance and reliability and comfort, etc, the mileage has been tolerable. This has been my favorite rig.

Favorite Features

Love the body style, color, comfort, gets up and goes, handles well.

Best SUV
By Rob

1998 Dodge Durango 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned three Dodge Durangos and they have always been dependable and fun to drive. My 98 Durango has 237,000 miles on it. I do not plan on getting rid of it any time soon. I own a 2008 Dodge Durango also and love both of them.

Favorite Features

Power, comfort and looks.

gas guzzler
By kyle c

1998 Dodge Durango 4dr SUV 4WD

it was ok, until the breaks squeaked after 3 weeks. but the gas is ridiculous. i dont go far without visiting a gas station so if u want to save money dont buy this car.

Suggested Improvements

better gas, better breaks.

Had some trouble but love the vehicle
By Caliebear22

1998 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had to replace the front differential, tires (regular maintenance). I changed the oil to synthetic, now we are having trouble with ball joints. Gas mileage is OK. I get about 15mpg and I have the 3.18 v8 best engine to get. In town I get 11-13mpg. I overall love this car and it did wonders on a slippery slope while having a trailer attached and the brakes are wonderful. I would recommend buying this vehicle. I do have tranny problems. It doesn't like 2nd gear and I have the auto.

Favorite Features

How much it is like a truck, how comfy and roomy it is. How reliable it is when it is working right.

Suggested Improvements

Tranny, gas mileage

30,000 miles of hard driving, still great
By white98d

1998 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Had the car for 30000 miles and been in two accidents. Rearended a pickup, got it fixed, then was rearended by a Jeep Cherokee that got totaled but other than a lot of scuffed paint the Durango was fine. Only thing bad about it is the gas mileage so I put on an aftermarket intake system and exhaust now it gets 13 city 19 highway. Best thing about it is the power. Took it offroading didn't have a problem anywhere in 4wd. Also driving on the highway is a blast . I love this car and would get another after this if I can find one with low amount of miles. does great burnouts, too.

Favorite Features

Power. Knowing that i can drive pretty much anywhere and not get stuck.

Suggested Improvements

None. Only thing is gas mileage but that's expected out of a 5.9l engine.

Love of my life
By maxposner

1998 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

When I bought this truck, I needed a backup truck for my business, and a car to haul my children around. I was asked many times how I liked it, and always replied that I needed to put more miles on it. Well It has been over 10 years, and 193k original exhaust, 4 sets of tires, and very little maintenance. The tranny finally gave up(plugged cooler line),and I need to replace the blower motor.This truck has pulled everything, hauled everything(I've bent the springs), driven hundreds of miles in 4wd through blizzards and drifts, it could quit and I wouldn't fault it, I don't baby anything, this one has been used and abused, it will last forever. 22 mpg, 65 MPH lightly loaded. 13 MPG, 75 mph, heavy load.

Favorite Features

4wd, tow pack, styling,ergonomics, and that marvelous 318

Suggested Improvements

quieter blower

Get your own
By Love It

1998 Dodge Durango SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

This SUV is almost perfect. It's large, it powerful, great design, comfort like a spendy luxury, reliable as they come and very fun. I had to replace a $3 valve in the AC, a battery and the normal brakes and tires in the 8 years i have had it. Other than that all my paycheck goes toward gas but its worth it.

Favorite Features

Looks, comfort, heads up display, 4X4 on the fly

Suggested Improvements

Shifter in the center console instead of the column, would like 50MPG (wouldn't we all)!!