2012 Volt Experience
By newvoltowner on
2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)
I've had my Volt for a week and a half and I am very happy with it. I want to share as much as I can for those on the fence about it, I sure spent a lot of time thinking about it and weighing the options before I made this move. I was also considering the leaf, but I went with the volt because of the extended range with the gas engine. I was I was sure happy that I did when I was driving to my parents house this weekend (47 miles away) and the gas engine kicked in. It takes about 8 hours to charge on 120v. So I can drive during the day, come home and charge. I do plan to get a 240volt charger but I would say it is not a requirement. Check www.spx.com/volt for free chargers.
Favorite Features
My favorite feature is the smooth ride. There is no transmission shifting like there was in my old PT Cruiser. This is especially noticable when you step on the gas to accelerate - it accelerates immediately, there is no pause and downshift. The acceleration is excellent, the electric engine has power! I love the idea that most days I don't use any gas!
Suggested Improvements
Keep in mind that I love to find ways to make things better: 1) when accelerating at highway speed up a steep hill with the battery empty, the gas engine will directly engage to drive the wheels. This is a great feature but I wish it could be as smooth as the battery full experience - rather than feeling that transmission shift that my old car had. 2) I wish there was a way I could sit in the car and engage the electronics without "starting" the car. Something like the accessory mode of the old car. (eg headlights shouldn't come on and airconditioning shouldn't come on). 3) Deeper integration between my android smartphone and the Volt without Onstar in between. 4) even more seat adjustments
By newvoltowner
on 10/16/11 18:58 PM (PDT)

I am commenting on my own post. In Suggested Improvements 2) I wished for a way to turn the electronics on without "starting" the car. Well, eventually I held down the power button on the radio and after a couple of seconds the radio and the center dash came alive! - even though the power was still off. It makes sence, I've just got to keep trying new things with this.