Used 2010 Chevrolet HHR Consumer Reviews - 23 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Chevrolet HHR - Consumer Reviews

2010 Chevrolet HHR

View reviews for a specific HHR model:

" A CLASSIC "
By harry dermody

2010 Chevrolet HHR SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

AWESOME, FUN, CLASSY, SPORTY, 3rd one I have owned..........

Where do I start
By Shane M.

2010 Chevrolet HHR LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

bought my 2010 HHR in 2010 went through 3 ignition switches (luckily recalled) then the car Cam Shaft Advance sensor went out. Was told by dealership 680 dollars to repair, reason was there are three and they cannot tell which one went out so they have to replace all three. Power steering issues, started my car and put in reverse the whole front end start lurching and jumping. The cooling fan on a 4 year old car threw a blade and was out of balance 380 dollars. 4 years and here are the issues I have dealt with out of pocket, water pump <-- 350.00 dollars. Alternator 760.00 (they have to remove engine mounts and then insure they do not break the other mounts to replace the alternator. 2 Turn signal switches they fail to turn off (400.00). Master Power window Switch ( would only roll down Driver side window) went to roll down window one morning and heard a pop.....all four windows rolled all the way down no switch was responsive. 189.00 repair. Driving down the road car had no power (on a highway) look down and to do 55 mph I had to have 4800 RPM. Take to dealer. 1789.00 Transmission repair car with ONLY 48,000 miles on it But wait, when this happens to the transmission it messes with your ABS and it starts grinding your car will overheat ABS, Brake Lights and Stability Control System all start flashing. The Air Bag Light comes on intermittently they cannot find issue. The speakers to the stereo work WHEN they want....rears never work now... I do not know about the person who says do not listen to those having issues we are just complaining, well we have a right too.....this POS has cost me in 6 month over 4 thousand dollar. I bought it new...and it has been a ROLLING CATASTROPHE since. I will NEVER buy another GM and H*** will freeze over before I do.....contacted GM and all they wanted to do for me was give me a 500.00 Certificate towards purchasing another GM Catastrophe.....NO WAY!!!!!

Hip Hoppin' Retro
By Nomadic HHR

2010 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Model: Not Listed under Edmund's dropdown.
2LT (running boards, trim, e-options), 2.2l Flex-fuel Automatic.
E85 fuel really boosts power and performance, but MPG drops.
I bought this GM Certified from a Dealership;
it was a San Francisco Hertz rental with 14K miles on it.
Nimble, economical, safe, & stylish 'retro' wagon.
Low profile tires, average ride quality, good handling FWD.
The front passenger seat folds down so I can stretch out into the back.
I removed the rear headrests for better vision. Glass tends to fog up inside some.
Mine came with OnStar, Bluetooth, Sirius radio, onboard connectivity.

I love my car and you will too!
By Jumpinghorse210

2010 Chevrolet HHR Panel LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Don't be fooled by all the negative reviews about the HHR, I would say this has a lot to do with voluntary response. A few people had such a terrible time with this car that they felt compelled to respond. This doesn't happen often when people have a positive reaction to something (go figure).

My HHR was the first new-ish car I had ever purchased. I got an excellent deal at the dealership; a silver 2010 Chevy HHR LT 2.4L with 35k miles for $11,500 in Dec of 2012. I got the 1 year 100k warranty along with it. After driving in a 1988 Chevy Celebrity for two years it was like a dream. During my first few months there was a recall for my power steering motor and I just took it over to the dealership and had it fixed in a couple hours. Easy-peasy.

I'll talk about the negatives first to get them out of the way. Firstly, it does have very big blindspots. I did have to purchase those additional circular mirrors you put in the corner of your side-view mirrors for some additional help merging and parking. The view out of the front is very square and small, not like a normal 4-door sedan where the windshield is rather large. Something you have to get used to and is not for everyone. Again, I'm very small so the small windshield doesn't bother me. The one feature I always wished it had was a USB for my IPhone. It would be cool to be able to charge my phone AND play my music simultaneously but honestly the auxiliary port has been a perfectly good substitute. I would say considering the kind of gas mileage most 4cyl are getting today (2012-2014 models) the HHR does leave something to be desired in MPG. Right now I get 22/30 and I think the new Chevy Cruise gets up to 36 freeway or something like that. In terms of engine performance it is only a 4cyl 2.4L so the acceleration leaves something to be desired. No wonder.

Other than that it has been smooth sailing, my favorite part about this car is that it is easy to keep maintenance up at home like a lot of Chevys. I changed my own brake pads, changed my own oil (after the warranty expired) etc, during the summer and during the winter just took it in if necessary. I even put new rotors on at 50k and it was a snap. Being a very small lady this says something. Parts are very cheap for this guy. Also keep in mind I've put A LOT of miles on this bad boy. I've had it for three years and I just hit 85k (yikes) and it still runs like a dream. Otherwise I made many long trips with this car, even took it to Florida and back a couple times. Space-wise I LOVE it. I have been moving once a year for the past 5 years and with this car I could comfortably pack all of my furniture and make one MAYBE two trips, no UHaul needed. I was also always the one driving a group road trips because my car was the most comfortable for 4 or 5 people.

Winter driving: I was basically Santa driving his flying sleigh through the snow. Enough said.

I really can't think of anything I genuinely didn't like about this car. I feel like most of the people who complain about performance didn't properly maintain their car so boo-hoo on them. At 85k, with proper maintinence, I can't even tell if my car is on sometimes it runs so quietly. I haven't even had to bother getting a tune-up because I have the 100k spark plugs etc. My brother owns a 2008 HHR and his still runs excellent at 130k. Of course he has had to replace his suspension which was expected but it was only 650 bucks. The only weird thing about the 08' is that the window buttons are on the center console. No idea why but mine is normal so who cares.

Long story short, if you are trying to decide whether to get this or a normal sedan, get the HHR. It has so much utility and is just overall just a great little easy-keeper car. I have every intention of driving this car until it can't run anymore.

After 5 years I still regret buying this thing.
By Nic

2010 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Problem #1 HHR would show the no seat belt light for passenger when no one was sitting there. Dealer claimed cell phones caused it to malfunction

Problem #2 The car would like autobrake rapidly causing the car to slowdown, and shake. It was very scary when it happened. The "ESC" or something was cutting on. Would have to pull over and restart the car. Dealer claimed they never heard of the problem but I found on line forums where others had this issue.

Problem #3 Recall, after recall, after recall

Problem #4 The door handle is made of cheap plastic and broke. Dealer wanted like $400 to fix it. Found a replacement on Amazon for $50 and put it in my self

Problem #5 Rotor and brakes when out. I think Problem #2 cause this. Cost me $530 to fix.

Other issues.