Used 2010 Chevrolet HHR Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Chevrolet Hhr - Consumer Reviews

2010 Chevrolet HHR

View reviews for a specific HHR model:

Something Chevy Doesn't Tell You
By oceanhhr

2010 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

We have an HHR LT with the 2.4L Ecotec FlexFuel, automatic. Drives great. Plenty of pick-up. But no one mentioned the engine is NOT happy using the Ethanol gas we have to put in it!! To get decent gas mileage we have to put in an additive by Lucas every time we fill up! That's a pain. I would think about it before buying. Another problem is that the interior has MANY blind spots. You have to be extra careful to look more than normal to make sure you see properly. (Esp. for someone short in height.) It sits comfortably and the power driver seat works well. The round air vents are nicer than the standard louver ones. There are ample cup holders compared to many more expensive cars.

Favorite Features

Size, space for small car, good luggage space.

Suggested Improvements

Should find a better engine that will do well using Ethanol gas, since that's all we can find at gas stations. Otherwise, gas mileage drops as Ethanol builds up. Also need to eliminate so many blind spots.

HHR...road warrior
By fordguy63

2010 Chevrolet HHR LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car for my wife in 2010 (new). The only problem we've had is with the ignition switch, which got stuck in the ON position & the car would not shut off. This happened on a Sunday afternoon & onstar was spectacularly unhelpful. The operator told us to find a shop that was open & go there, then sent us to Honda dealer which was closing by the time we got there (5pm). We finally had the running car disabled & towed to Bachman Chevrolet, per Onstar's instructions. (something to do with warranty regulations blah,blah,blah). Bachman Chevrolet had the car up & running free of charge by 3PM Monday, so pretty good service on their part.

Favorite Features

Pretty good gas mileage. Good stereo with Satellite radio & integral hands free phone with its own phone number.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders are in a really bad spot. Door lock knobs stick up at a bad spot if you like to drive with you arm on the window ledge.

Chevy building good cars again.
By teachweber

2010 Chevrolet HHR SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

A solid, tight car/truckette. Handling better than my MiniCooper S except for turning radius but then that should be obvious. My fuel mileage hovers around 28/29 mpg while my little truckette is faster than most V-8s I owned nothing but Chevy's until I was 35 years old. Then strayed for 20 years. Back again with this great little truck. Love retro and this vehicle is true to that while being very reliable.

Favorite Features

HUD display on upper dash. Don't see many cars with that. Very trick while very practical. Slick shifting 5-Speed, considerably faster than my MiniCooper S without abusing it. Better fuel mileage than I expected. Chevy nailed it with a turbo 4 cylinder. Love the versatility of the larger cabin with all fold down seats. Versatility of On Star with Sat radio and hands free calling is amazing. This is a retro cruiser, that most near my age can really identify with.

Suggested Improvements

Turning radius, but really not a big issue, I'm used to a MiniCooper.

Cool car/truck
By lakelizrd

2010 Chevrolet HHR SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I just purchased a 2010 left over automatic SS/HHR. List price $27,975. Bought the truck for $20,260. The dealer had the SS left over in his inventory from 2010 and wanted to get rid of the truck. I only have 3000 miles on the SS, but so far it is a kick to drive. I added the stage 1 turbo booster kit which is a $690 dealer installed option. The booster kit kicks up the performance to 290 hp, 330 pounds of torque. This little guy screams and will keep up with my G-35 infinity. The ride is great, and handles well. You know the HHR is what it is - an inexpensive fun ride. If you are looking for big hauler buy a big truck - this is just a fun ride netting me an average of 27 MPG. So far so good

Favorite Features

Fun ride - great gas mileage - stage 1 boost kit makes this baby fly!

Suggested Improvements

The cup holders are are located in a terrible place.

LT2 Automatic transmission with 2.4L engine
By lbf58

2010 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I don't know why this trim level wasn't included in the menu, but that's what I have. Has all the whistles and bells. Bought a few months used with 13k on the odometer. Handles and brakes great. Very comfortable interior, mostly well designed. Fun to drive! Either you like the look of the retro exterior or you don't. I do.

Favorite Features

Handling, appearance, Pioneer sound system, OnStar, XM, leather interior, hands free controls, USB, sun roof! Comfy ride, great sound system.

Suggested Improvements

The placement of the cup holders in the front seat is very awkward. Glove box a bit on the small side. But hey, if that's my only complaint, it tells you something, right?