Used 2006 Chevrolet Equinox LS Consumer Reviews - 53 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Equinox - Consumer Reviews

2006 Chevrolet Equinox

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

Falling apart one Piece at a Timne
By maric

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Heater door broke, was quoted $1500 by local GM dealership ($250 for parts and $1100 for labour plus taxes) , charged me $50.85 to diagnose the problem, car had 77,500 kms. Contacted GM repeatedly - got voice mails, never spoke to "Jane" in person. Went out of town to another GM dealer paid $750 for repair, in December in Canada you cannot drive without heat or defrost. Feel "ripped off" , now the leather upholstery is splitting. Had to replace Bridgestone tires at 45,000 kms. Not happy with GM .... inferior product and by the lack of response I have to assume that they don't really care! My experience answers the question for me "why are so many people not buying North American cars

When numerous vehicles have the same heater door problem you need to look at your design .... maybe a modular unit that can be pulled repaired and re-inserted rather than having to remove the entire dash - an 8 to 10 hour job. Better yet improve the quality of the materials you use so it doesn't break in the first place! The extra cost of leather upholstery suggests a value added feature .... leather that splits is not quality leather - fabric would be more durable. Bridgestone tires ----- bah-h-h-h!

Never again
By Christian

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Equinox brand new in 2006. Before hitting 20,000 the ignition switch went out and had an electrical problem. It still goes dead right after I crank it, but they say nothing is wrong with it. I have had 4 sets of brake pads in 6 weeks, other mechanical problems and it is in the shop right now as I type this for the 2nd time in 3 weeks for an "electrical" problem in the air conditioner. I like the car's look, but not all the problems it has come with. I would not recommend this car to anyone. It is the biggest piece of crap I have ever had. I am just waiting til the day I can trade it and not lose too much money.

room and looks of the car

cup holders, better cloth on seats, more comfortable seating,

Purple electrical nightmare
By Betrayed chevy owner

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car ignorantly in may after totalling out my impala. I wanted another impala but couldn't find one for the price I payed originally. I found this purple equinox that I had to have but then I realized my eyes are bigger than my patience. The doors leak, the ac works when it wants to, it starts when it feels like it, the radio changes stations at random, the cd player has to be pounded on by your hand to work, last night the headlights started flickering and went out and now only the drivers side headlight works and only on bright. The lights on the dashboard randomly dim, have to be hit to work again, and I'm not done yet...

Still listing the bad stuff, the suspension rattles for no reason other than just to anger me, the windshield wipers from and back will stop during the hardest of rainstorms mid wipe, if gas was beer it'd be an alcoholic, I only get 21 in the city and 17 on the highway, as opposed to my impala..

That would get 27 city 36 highway. My improvements? You don't want to know! This car is the reason gm went bankrupt! I don't know if I'll ever buy another gm vehicle, I've never had a problem out of fords.....

Not What I Expected
By Rachel

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Equinox brand new expecting to drive off without having any issues. Within my first year I began having starter problems & the dealership looked it over and says it's suppose to make the grinding sound,when I turn the key, it's a safety feature..yeah right! After 4 years now, I find myself having to turn the key twice to get the engine started. After the 3rd year, I started dealing with a/c problems and once again after being in the shop twice, Chevy can't seem to fix the problem. I called GM and all they can do is file a report and have me bring it back into the shop to pay Chevy more money to try and fix the a/c problem a third time. I will be trading this bad purchase in soon!

What a mistake
By Ranger

2006 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

We used the NHTSA and FuelEconomy.gov websites to narrow our search. We chose this based on their ratings and boy, were they way off. My son tapped a deer one night, didn't even break the headlight lens. $5500. At 75k miles we're putting on the third set of high quality tires. It is the noisiest vehicle I've ridden in since leaving the Army, the mileage is about 14mpg, my 2007 3/4 ton 4WD Diesel has a tighter turn radius and these seats are absolutely terrible. Spilled water on the seats and they look terrible and stains won't come out. Can't sit in them more than an hour. There is nothing redeeming about this vehicle.

The color.