Used 2013 BMW X3 xDrive28i SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X3 model:

Loving the X3
By clayewi

2013 BMW X3 SUV xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I have had four successive 5 series wagons. Sadly, BMW doesn't bring them to the states so I had to really consider what to get next. The X1 was TINY and just didn't feel like a BMW to me. Without question my last 5 had a more luxurious interior, but that's expected. The X3 has a much nicer interior than the current 3 series. The screen is IN the dash where it should be, not sticking up like a design afterthought. The engine/transmission combo is amazing; very quick and agile. It doesn't handle like a car, but much better than other SUV's. The tech package is very nicely done. Gas mileage is really good for the size. The car feels much lighter than my 5 wagon, much faster though.

Overall design is elegant yet practical. Plenty of space for everyone and everything. Excellent interior ergonomics. Elegant interior layout. Rear and Top View cameras really help. Thoughtful cargo area design. Outstanding iDrive features - much improved. Blueteooth audio is seamless. Heated seats and steering wheel are excellent - nice and hot! Large sunroof.

Front seats/headrests have an odd forward lean at top. Can't tilt headrest back. Although a lot quieter than a 328i, it could be quieter. Body roll is more than I like, but that's largely because I like cars, not SUVs. Inner headlight lens is fake. That's odd - why not use it for something? Night time gauges are odd - there is an animated "box" that looks very dropped in. It's about the only design flaw. I would like makings on the 5's in the speedo.

WOW sports car with a back pack!
By msbeanz

2013 BMW X3 SUV xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Bought this in alpine white on black and I call it my new spaceship. I also test drove the 3L engine but the 2L seemed lighter and much more responsive, not to mention for '13 both models have the same horsepower and torque! I traded in a Nissan Juke which was truly just a joke, super small, not safe, tiny 9 gal gas tank, no hatch space for a big grocery trip unless you put both rear seats down etc.. so this was a giant upgrade with absolutely no regrets!!! I wasnt a huge fan of run flats due to their cost if you even run over a nail, but i'm starting to be a fan of how thick they are for any bumps in the road, you feel practically nothing! To assure myself, I bought the extra tire warranty.

Back up camera and sensors, mirrors fold in with one button ( otherwise I wouldnt fit into my garage) panoramic sun roof! wow cant wait for my baby to be born and check that out! Good size gas tank, all the safety features, and just plain weight and build of the body, they know how to make a strong sturdy machine. Run flats are very dense so you feel hardly any bumps or holes in the road. I love that you can play with the nav or go on the internet while driving, most cars only let you while you are stopped. Great entertainment for my hubby while I drive :)

The start/stop function is interesting to say the least, have to still get used to it. Thankfully it has an off button should I get tired of it, but you have to press it every time you start the car to turn this function off. My suggestion would be to have it shut off at 5sec not 3sec, but it does save gas if you can handle the slight jerk every time before you accelerate. Why the unlock button is in the middle of the dash is odd since the rest of the door/window buttons are on the side panel. The shifter is also something to get used to, to park you press a button, same for the E brake. Not all models come with key less entry! What a shame BMW! No Sirius/XM either! really for 48K? come on!

Expensive, but you get what you pay for
By tostig

2013 BMW X3 SUV xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Traded in my old 2003 BMW X5 for a shiny new 2013 BMW X3 28i. It doesn't have quite the build quality of the X5, but on the other hand, doesn't cost $80,000 either. Road feel, handling, steering, and general sportiness/fun are outstanding. The 28i 4 cyllinder turbo is surprisingly powerful and capable. Absolutely love the interior and all the tech gadgets (sat nav, bluetooth, large computer screen, whole music library on hard disk, etc etc). Very upscale appointments and nice touches throughout. Kind of a cross between an SUV and a sport sedan, for those who want both and are willing to pay a premium to have them both embodied within the same vehicle.

Road feel - that solid, planted, quality feeling that's hard to describe. Steering. Surprisingly great mileage (I'm getting 30 highway in this heavy crossover - very happy about that). Interior appointments.

Wind noise is pretty high over 50 mph in mine, could really use some more sound insulation. Some of the tech only works with iPhone and not with Android. There's some quirkiness with where the switches are located - the trunk opener is near the floor and very hard to reach from the driver's seat. Other than that, it's pretty much great all around. I would buy it again, and would recommend it to any friend. You do get what you pay for.

Wish I hadn't bought this car
By missmyscout

2013 BMW X3 SUV xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I "upgraded" from a Volvo XC90 2.0T to a BMW X3 because I wanted something, smaller, zippier, and with modern electronics (bluetooth, ipod interface, & nav). Well, I did get smaller. Prefer my old Volvo or my husband's new Subaru Outback. Not pleased with: Back hatch doesn't not close well - half the time I get a message that the back hatch is open after I close it with the push button. Electronics are "fussy" to use - you can use the joystick on the center console to go to radio or ipod, but you still need to turn the sound knob on the dash to "on". Why two steps? And why does BMW make "Park" a separate button on the transmission stick from Reverse & Drive? TG it's a lease.

- live traffic with Nav - peace of mind with BMW assistance (like OnStar) - size is great - smaller SUV with functionality of bigger car

- Ride is very bouncy for a luxury car - I like some "feel of the road", but this is oddly springy and bouncy. - Seats are not great for a tall person - top back of the seat curves forward and hits my shoulderblades pushing me forward into a hunched person. - Media & Radio are displayed on the view screen separately for sound - still need to turn on sound knob on dash when you switch over by joystick on center console. Why two steps? - Why a two step "off" button? Worried I am going to leave the car running

Mileage overstated!
By woodsieco

2013 BMW X3 SUV xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

My 6cyl 3 series averaged 28.4 mpg on the highway when traveling in the 80-85 mph range. The X3 is in the area of 18mpg. Now, if I slow down to 70 the mileage jumps up to 26+. Of course on the highways of AZ and CO where the limit is 75, traveling under the limit is somewhat risky as the normal flow is near 90. Overall I really like the X3, and I suppose 18 mpg on the highway for an all wheel drive isn't horrible, although my previous Explorer was over 20 mpg. Driving within normal limits I average 27.6 combined. I notice no difference in performance or MPG with different gas grades. So it seems as if the cheap stuff is just fine in the cool weather and mid-grade when it is warm out.

The ability to have the satellite radio added after the fact with only a code entry. X drive The ride is awesome.

Reverse the engine stop start feature to need to be turned on rather than turned off. I had the dealer deactivate the feature. Supply the trailer package as a standard feature. $1300 from the dealer is a bit steep. Do something to make the car turn off after a period of time if you leave with the key and the car is not moving. Forget the run flats on an SAV and put a spare tire in the boot or under the car. $400.00 tires and the chance of being stuck off road is terrifying.