2014 Acura RLX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Acura RLX - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RLX model:

RLX-- love this car
By angela2014

2014 Acura RLX Advance Package 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I got the RLX with Advanced package in Oct. 2013. Have driven more than 15K miles, I can not be more happier. No matter it is 8 hrs drive from southern California to San Francisco or road trips to Vegas and Grand Canyon, or even daily commute on the highways, the car is so quite and comfortable, every time behind the wheel feels like a special treat to myself. My friends have A6 and E class, whenever they rode with me they can not stop praising how much they enjoy the ride and how well made the car was . Actually I got the feeling they sometimes find excuses to just take a ride with me because of they like this car.

I saw same critic reviews that Acura cars are not good looking, honestly to me Acura looks is classy, not every car needs to be macho man looking. Krell sound system in RLX is superb too!! I also have a 2013RDX. Reliability, Safety, Comfort, user friendly panels/display, abundant technology, and very important low maintenance are the features keep me coming back to Acura.

Acura need to invest more on marketing campaigns to build up consumer awareness. Once you drive an Acura it is very hard to switch to other makers, unless of course you have a lot of money and need a German badge to show off.

Really Good Car
By billg8

2014 Acura RLX Navigation 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This car is alot better than reviewed from my perspective. I think the issue is this: This DOES NOT compete with the BMW 5 series or MB E-Class (regardless of what Acura would like)...really more like Lexus, Infiitniti or Lincoln based on my experience. That said, based on actual purchase price-- strong discount to MSRP/Invoice so well below BWM/MB this is a high quality, nice driving (love teh AWS) vehicle. My personal feeling is, while not flashy, the car is also sophisticated looking. So far I'm very pleased with the overall package

Bad designn or bad quality?
By s_sc

2014 Acura RLX Advance Package 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought of my RLX-ADV about 4 months ago and only put on about 1500 miles so far. I have already took it back three times for repair. There were iPhone 4S issue (automatic dial out and hang out), low battery and charging system warning sign(happened in less than first 50 miles), and camera too hot/LDW, LKAS shut down (90 degree outside) during driving. Dealer recharged the battery, but no action to other issues. Dealer and Acura insisted the shut down is the proper action by design. SF Bay Area is known for good climate. The LDW, LKAS shut-down happened multiple times in April. I really wonder what the car would do in Summer!

It is a fun car to drive when it works!

Camera can not sustain over 90 degree outside temperature is not acceptable. It would disable important security features of LDW, LKAS and FCW. A recall and re-design is urgently needed!

RLX Rattles down the road since purchase- no solution
By rlxregrets

2014 Acura RLX Technology Package 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I noticed rattles coming from front suspension after 500 miles. Brought it to the dealership and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Dealership reported service rep had the same problem but worse after 7k miles. After another 2k miles the rattles increased in frequency and loudness from all 4 wheels. Dealership replaced front struts which resolved a majority of the rattle but the rear rattle persisted. After another visit, the replaced the rear rattle. The rear is better but now the front is ever present over every bump. When I had a 2014RLX loaner the vehicle had the same issue as both mine and the service reps car. Cant believe engineering isn't all over this issue. Beware of RLX.

Smooth plush seats and quiet ride as long as bumps are no where in sight.

Fix the suspension rattles!!!! After 27 years of Hondas and Acuras, I would not purchase another Acura after this experience. 3 RLX's with the same problem in the same region is evidence of an engineering flaw. Buyer beware!

'14 RLX from '11 RL
By rfw3

2014 Acura RLX Technology Package 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

RL coming off lease. Dealer initiated a special offer which was very attractive and quite a bit less expensive that the RL lease. Both vehicles have many pluses and a few minuses. The critical reviews of the RLX in Consumer Reports and Edmunds made me focus in on the suspension and seat comfort. The RLX is our six Acura. Acura reliability is definitely above average. We did experience transmission problems with the RL which took a couple months to sort out. We have had three of four recent AWD vehicles with transmission problems. There is a message there I believe.

For the RLX, much larger inside - wider, better rear leg room, much bigger trunk. Added safety features: lane departure, collision, and blind spot warning system. Knee air bags. Much better gas mileage - 35 mpg on the highway. Much higher resolution on the back up camera. Nav has a second smaller readout on the dash - very handy. Infotainment screen works well after a steep learning curve.

Not on the RLX-tech : AWD, cooled seats, back-up sensors, rear sun shade. Back-up sensors were not a dealer installed option. Suspension is noisy on rough roads. Rl was a ' lead sled'. Not a deal breaker for me, but this is surprising for an Acura and must be fixed on future models. Seat comfort is OK for me.