2014 Acura RLX Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Acura Rlx - Consumer Reviews

2014 RLX Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RLX model:

Sort Reviews by

RLX-- love this car
By angela2014

2014 Acura RLX Advance Package 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I got the RLX with Advanced package in Oct. 2013. Have driven more than 15K miles, I can not be more happier. No matter it is 8 hrs drive from southern California to San Francisco or road trips to Vegas and Grand Canyon, or even daily commute on the highways, the car is so quite and comfortable, every time behind the wheel feels like a special treat to myself. My friends have A6 and E class, whenever they rode with me they can not stop praising how much they enjoy the ride and how well made the car was . Actually I got the feeling they sometimes find excuses to just take a ride with me because of they like this car.

Favorite Features

I saw same critic reviews that Acura cars are not good looking, honestly to me Acura looks is classy, not every car needs to be macho man looking. Krell sound system in RLX is superb too!! I also have a 2013RDX. Reliability, Safety, Comfort, user friendly panels/display, abundant technology, and very important low maintenance are the features keep me coming back to Acura.

Suggested Improvements

Acura need to invest more on marketing campaigns to build up consumer awareness. Once you drive an Acura it is very hard to switch to other makers, unless of course you have a lot of money and need a German badge to show off.

Really Good Car
By billg8

2014 Acura RLX Navigation 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This car is alot better than reviewed from my perspective. I think the issue is this: This DOES NOT compete with the BMW 5 series or MB E-Class (regardless of what Acura would like)...really more like Lexus, Infiitniti or Lincoln based on my experience. That said, based on actual purchase price-- strong discount to MSRP/Invoice so well below BWM/MB this is a high quality, nice driving (love teh AWS) vehicle. My personal feeling is, while not flashy, the car is also sophisticated looking. So far I'm very pleased with the overall package

Bad designn or bad quality?
By s_sc

2014 Acura RLX Advance Package 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought of my RLX-ADV about 4 months ago and only put on about 1500 miles so far. I have already took it back three times for repair. There were iPhone 4S issue (automatic dial out and hang out), low battery and charging system warning sign(happened in less than first 50 miles), and camera too hot/LDW, LKAS shut down (90 degree outside) during driving. Dealer recharged the battery, but no action to other issues. Dealer and Acura insisted the shut down is the proper action by design. SF Bay Area is known for good climate. The LDW, LKAS shut-down happened multiple times in April. I really wonder what the car would do in Summer!

Favorite Features

It is a fun car to drive when it works!

Suggested Improvements

Camera can not sustain over 90 degree outside temperature is not acceptable. It would disable important security features of LDW, LKAS and FCW. A recall and re-design is urgently needed!

RLX Rattles down the road since purchase- no solution
By rlxregrets

2014 Acura RLX Technology Package 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I noticed rattles coming from front suspension after 500 miles. Brought it to the dealership and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Dealership reported service rep had the same problem but worse after 7k miles. After another 2k miles the rattles increased in frequency and loudness from all 4 wheels. Dealership replaced front struts which resolved a majority of the rattle but the rear rattle persisted. After another visit, the replaced the rear rattle. The rear is better but now the front is ever present over every bump. When I had a 2014RLX loaner the vehicle had the same issue as both mine and the service reps car. Cant believe engineering isn't all over this issue. Beware of RLX.

Favorite Features

Smooth plush seats and quiet ride as long as bumps are no where in sight.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the suspension rattles!!!! After 27 years of Hondas and Acuras, I would not purchase another Acura after this experience. 3 RLX's with the same problem in the same region is evidence of an engineering flaw. Buyer beware!

'14 RLX from '11 RL
By rfw3

2014 Acura RLX Technology Package 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

RL coming off lease. Dealer initiated a special offer which was very attractive and quite a bit less expensive that the RL lease. Both vehicles have many pluses and a few minuses. The critical reviews of the RLX in Consumer Reports and Edmunds made me focus in on the suspension and seat comfort. The RLX is our six Acura. Acura reliability is definitely above average. We did experience transmission problems with the RL which took a couple months to sort out. We have had three of four recent AWD vehicles with transmission problems. There is a message there I believe.

Favorite Features

For the RLX, much larger inside - wider, better rear leg room, much bigger trunk. Added safety features: lane departure, collision, and blind spot warning system. Knee air bags. Much better gas mileage - 35 mpg on the highway. Much higher resolution on the back up camera. Nav has a second smaller readout on the dash - very handy. Infotainment screen works well after a steep learning curve.

Suggested Improvements

Not on the RLX-tech : AWD, cooled seats, back-up sensors, rear sun shade. Back-up sensors were not a dealer installed option. Suspension is noisy on rough roads. Rl was a ' lead sled'. Not a deal breaker for me, but this is surprising for an Acura and must be fixed on future models. Seat comfort is OK for me.

nice car
By gman124

2014 Acura RLX Navigation 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

all in all, a very nice car. but not sure if i would lease it again given the opportunity

Favorite Features

back up camera, large interior,headlights

Suggested Improvements

1. make USB port compatible with droid phones, not just iphones. USB port useless for droid phones 2. forward collision warning indicator not consistent. has gone off a few times with no cars in front of me. 3. blind spot indicator should be standard on all RLX models for a car this price. I can get it with the honda accord coupe for less than$28K 4. Ride could be a little more quiet on the highway. 5. bluetooth does not always pick up cell phone. have to turn car on and off sometimes for t to recognize my phone. Not sure if this happens because i have a droid phone or not

Better Than It Looks
By texastom2

2014 Acura RLX Technology Package 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Coming out of my first Acura a '12 TL AWD, I looked at everything else in its class. My wife got the '13 Lexus GS 350, which is very nice, but I needed more testosterone. I was very surprised when I test drove the RLX as most of the reviews by the 'experts' were average at best.. It is a perfect fit for me. Bigger inside than my TL and the Lexus 350. Lots of room in the back seat. The control panel is much more intuitive than my TL. The ride is plenty smooth, the transmission feels great shifting in all gears, A/C is perfect. I really enjoy driving it. I leased it and did not know until I was handed the keys it comes with a great Roadside Assistance Pkg. basically covers everything.

Favorite Features

smooth ride, easy to navigate radio, nav, a/c, pandora, etc. back seat is roomy takes corners really well with new steering pkg rear camera has 3 view options

Suggested Improvements

i would have liked front sensors more color selections I got Black on Black

Acura Beats to a Different Drum! And I Like It!
36 of 73,431 people found this review helpful
By thkim

2014 Acura RLX Navigation 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Acura plays by no one elses rules as far as I can tell. Every competitors car that Acura claims the Acura RLX competes with is either rear wheel drive or all wheel drive. The RLX is front wheel drive with Rear Wheel Precision Steer. Initial marketing reasons would conclude its silly for Acura to say they compete with those other cars, but the truth is when you drive the RLX and feel how wonderfully precise it is and how nice the drive is you have to ask yourself why would I want all wheel drive with more things to break and horrible fuel economy. I have had my RLX now for 1000+ miles and I love it. The more I drive it the more I love it. I have owned Lexus LS430, ES300h, BMW...

Favorite Features

Nice and cool looking LED head lights, the overall styling, the dash layout and impressive rear seat room.

Suggested Improvements

The people who created the user interface for the new nav system could have done a better job. Its a good concept. I think they need to update the system with a software upgrade and make things alittle more intuitive.

Huge Step Backwards
By jimvette

2014 Acura RLX Navigation 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I just traded my 2009 RL for a 2014 RLX w Navigation. I cannot get over the step backwards in features and quality. The interior could just as easily be for a Corolla. The Radio is inferior to the standard model in 2009. As best as I can tell the only additional feature on the RLX is the X! After a week, I wish I had just stayed with my 2009. I suggest that you stay away feom any of the RLX models except the Advanced package if you don;t mind paying its sky high price. Honda should be ashamed of itself for calling this a luxury car. A loaded Civic would come closer.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Install a decent radio with a CD changer! Upgrade the interior. If you refuse to include leather, at least use a better quality of naugahyde than the "leatherette" now being pawned off. Larger Nav screen. Switch to Google Maps or something similar. The Nav system data is years out of date. Acura Link is a joke. Install at least one convenience outlet in the rear seat area.

acura finally got it right!
By jtienda

2014 Acura RLX Advance Package 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Just bought 2014 rlx advance, had 2011 rl the difference is like night and day. WOW! what a great car , we love it. rlx does it all , great ride, tech is state of the art. looks great. jg

Favorite Features

all