Used 2004 Volvo XC90 SUV Consumer Reviews - 384 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:

Super SUV
By DR

Don't buy past 2012 model

Best mid size SUV there is
By Bill Ever

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Biggest of the mid size suvs. The seats are the best of all the european cars. This suv has super visibility, ride, comfort, handling and even performance. It gets over 20 mpg on the highway. If it had a 6 or 8 speed transmission it would come close to today's vehicles. This the BEST CAR EVER for my family.

Transmissions and bearings
By Matthew

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

We bought this car from an original owner with about 90,000 miles on it. I had read about the transmission issues but this car had just had a complete transmission replacement from Volvo at 87,000 miles. We felt like we would get another 100k or so out of the replacement. Turns out we were wrong. At 130k the transmission started slipping and we traded it in on a new car. During the 40k miles we owned it we also had to replace the rear bearings and the front drivers side drive shaft. We also put a new headliner in. When it was running it was a great riding car. Handled snow great and was a beautiful car. Just too many issues that cost $$$

Very Reliable SUV with an Exception
By Mike

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

The only major concern is the anti-skid function. It seemed to require service although I never had a severe breaking episode. Other than that, the car is all that I expected of my 3rd Volvo since 1984. I still own the 1995 GLT and this XC90

Cheap plastic parts
By Nate

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Ignition cylinders go bad and are PRICEY to fix ($5-600). Heater on the feet only hits the right foot above the gas pedal. There's no heat directed at the left leg. The seats wear unevenly with the left side being smushed, and lopsided. The most uncomfortable seat in any car I've ever owned.

Only good thing I have to say is the engine still runs strong, and the metal is fairly rust resistant. Many interior and exterior parts have been broken multiple times because they are made of cheap plastic in an attempt to be "eco friendly" which means you'll pay alot of money for a china-quality part.