Used 2016 Volvo XC70 Wagon Consumer Reviews - 10 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Volvo XC70 Wagon Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XC70 model:

Safety First
By FirstVolvo

2016 Volvo XC70 Wagon T5 Platinum 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6A)

Except for the fact that this unit must have some infrared sign saying 'Hit Me' in it, I am actually thrilled by the purchase. At 600 miles, before the first installment was due, a deer jumped in front of the car while it traveled 60 MPH. Front airbags deployed and car brought itself to safe stop. Two occupants, including a 93 y.o. man, climbed out unscathed and without post accident issues. Volvo safety operators immediately called the car and summoned police, EMT squad , and fire truck. Out of state repair at Volvo dealership in Syracuse NY was exemplary. Now with 13,000 miles, the car was rear ended by 1 ton pick up truck with dual rear wheels. XC-70 bumper and hitch took brunt of impact. Volvo drove home, but offending pick up was not so lucky. Volvo hitch saved much rear end damage and transferred much of the impact to the colliding vehicle. Dealership service in two different states has been excellent. This is an extremely safe and comfortable vehicle, although I could do without further safety system tests.

Best Car I've Ever Owned!
By David Abrams

2016 Volvo XC70 Wagon T5 Drive-E 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I've had my XC70 for about a month and have just over 1,000 miles on it. So far, I'm loving the vehicle more each time I drive it. This car is simply a pleasure to drive. It's quiet and comfortable on the road. The technology is amazing and very well thought out. Every time I get in, I'm impressed at how the design blends elegance and function. I really feel like this is a special vehicle and I'm at a loss to understand why Volvo is discontinuing it. I'd been considering the XC-70 and the Subaru Outback for the past several years. However, having made the purchase, I'm really glad that I went with the Volvo. Having test drove the Outback I can say that it doesn't come close to the ride my XC-70 provides. Also, the seats in the XC-70 are simply amazing. They're the most comfortable car seats I've ever experienced. Some reviewers complain that the car is sluggish or doesn't handle well, but that's not been my experience. It's not a small car, so it's not as nimble as a sports car might be, but it feels solid on the road and the acceleration seems more than adequate to me.

Don't Let This One Get Away
By JimT

2016 Volvo XC70 Wagon T5 Platinum 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6A)

Volvo has sold a wagon with a vertical liftgate since 1953. This is the last, don't let it get away. My 5th Volvo and the best yet. 7K miles on it so far. For a huge wagon, the steering is responsive with good feedback. Breaks are awesome. They have finally eliminated the torque steer, totally, which was present on my 1998 V70XC and worse on my 2007 XC70. the 2007 had terrible wet braking, the 2016 has great wet road brakes. Very quiet, very comfortable, good electronics. Better than 27mpg in mostly highway driving. Next year's 2017 cross country costs 18 thousand dollars more and may not be as good. The 2017 has a hatchback, cutting cargo room, and a 4cyl engine which may not be as smooth, at least, not yet. This 2016 has the tried and true 5 banger. The only downside is that the 6 speed auto is a little reluctant to downshift, you have to mash the throttle a little or shift manually. Oh, and the active safety already prevented a collision for me, accelerating onto a highway, checking the left mirror, did not notice the stopped traffic ahead until the Volvo applied the brakes for me. Thanks, Volvo.

Reunited
By MMS

2016 Volvo XC70 Wagon T5 Premier 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6A)

Sold my 2004 xc70 5 years and two cars ago with 150,000 miles on it. Missed it from day one. When I heard this was the last year for the model I had to get one. Best car ever. Solid ride, excellent performance with the 5 cylinder engine. The best all around car on the road. The Golden Retriever of the car industry.

Beautiful new XC70
By AnnetteW

2016 Volvo XC70 Wagon T5 Premier 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6A)

Love my new Volvo XC - after driving my 2001 V40 with over 172,000! Before buying also considered a Subaru Forester and Subaru Crosstrek. What sold me on the Volvo was the longer warranty period - 4 years/50,000 miles; 12 year rust protection - I live in Western Massachusetts where they salt and sand profusely in the winter; and the alloy wheels. The interior is so luxurious to me and the people at Gengras Volvo in East Hartford gave me the best deal compared to 2 other Volvo dealers. I won't really know how the AWD does in winter because I just got the car - so far the handling is stable; and because the wheelbase and size are larger than my old V40 I am adjusting to how it handles with parking and taking the curves - still breaking it in with only 302 miles so far. The other thing that sold me was the cargo design and layout - my goal is to get to some National Parks to camp in the future - and the 250 horsepower and ability to tow were also part of my decision. And I love the turbo - my V40 has such great pep - and I have loved that capacity. The XC70 does weigh more - so haven't tested the pep of the turbo yet - still being cautious as I adjust to the new height - but love being able to just get in the car - rather than have to lower my body as I did in my V40. And I just get out - so getting in and out is pretty neutral. Love the proximity package and can see that when my hands are full it will be a blessing; the tailgate with auto up and down - fantastic! And the flat trunk - great for tailgating and picnics. All the new technology - navigation; phone; etc. - I am still learning how to use this - so can't really make a call on this yet - plus this stuff didn't exist on my 2001 V40. And have to get the new garage door opener programmed yet - that's how new it is to me.

One year later - and I still LOVE my new XC 70!! Currently, I have over 18,000 miles! The XC70 was a real champion in the winter - I was on a small hill and the lead car at the stop light was spinning and going no where - there was one car in between - I backed up my XC70 and with my AWD went around both cars up the same hill and went on my way!! Then I drove through a blowing snow storm down to New Jersey and again, the XC 70 made the trip - it is wonderful and the AWD is fantastic! Before buying I had checked out the difference in the Haldex versus symmetrical drive - and I am convinced that the Haldex is the way to go. Over the summer I was also able to test out the turbo when passing on some two lane roads in North Carolina, Virginia, and Ohio and it has pep to get around when needed - on two lane roads I don't take time to pass - so the turbo punch does an amazing job and does it well considering the size and weight. Still leaning to adjust to the new features, but the back up camera is one that has helped so much - it is a great feature and the hands free telephone is wonderful. Other features that have come in handy - the remote start and the ability to lock the car from afar or to be sure it's locked - especially after parking at the airport. Still adjusting to the higher center of gravity - especially as I was driving through West Virginia on some very long up and down curves - but it performed beautifully. The car has been to Northern Michigan, across part of Canada and New York state! When going across Canada - I was trying to figure out how to get the odometer to switch to kilometers per hour - still have to look that one up - so I turned to the fuel consumption feature where I based my best guess when it indicated I was consuming 100 kmh to estimate the speed I should be going. Compared to my old low road hugging V40 - it takes time to learn how to steer a car with a higher center of gravity and higher ground clearance - which I need for the snow - but as I am learning - the car is performing beautifully. And I am so happy with the service department at the Gengras Volvo dealer in East Hartford. One year later - and know I made the right decision to buy the XC70!! I can't believe they still don't make this car!

Okay, my odometer now reads 28,921 - I have been racking up the miles. Still love my XC70 and it has taken everywhere I need to go up and down the East coast - summer, winter, fall and spring. And amazingly it still cranked this winter when the temperatures hung in the -10 to -18 range for three weeks in the morning. The folks at Geneva’s Volvo are still doing a great job for all me service and I couldn’t be happier with my “new” Volvo.