Used 1999 Volvo S70 Consumer Reviews - 71 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S70 model:

Pile of Junk
By 5.0Mustang

1999 Volvo S70 4dr Sedan

As a comparison, my supposedly redneck, slap-dash and git-r-done 2000 Mustang GT went almost 180,000 miles with about 10% of the maintenance and repair costs of this overpriced, "superior European quality" pile of crap that I purchased at 57,000 miles and unloaded at 142,000. We had the non-turbo car which is supposed to be bulletproof. I have no doubt that the basic engine and body structure would have survived a million miles, a missile attack, and the next ice age, but the sensors, switches, A/C, brake discs, engine mounts, CV boots, etc. are what nickles and dimes you to death. Oh, and the drivers' seat and center armrest vinyl started to slough off in thin layers like a moderate sunburn at around 100,000 miles. It's not like we as a family beat on our cars - they are garage-kept and I do take care of them.

Maybe we got a bad one, but overall, considering all the hype I was not impressed. It does drive nicely overall, and the doors shut with a reassuring clink that sounds like you're closing a gun safe. But I doubt I will ever buy another Volvo.

Toyota Volvo tech review
By Tim

1999 Volvo S70 4dr Sedan

I own a 1999 s70 2.5 non-turbo 5 speed i work as a Toyota tech in a Volvo Toyota dealership I bought the car off a customer with throttlebody issues with is very common on volvos with is engine. I have a couple things that bother me about the car. The noisy dash drives me nuts but someone has removed it before so i cant blame Volvo. the second is acceleration is poor up until about 3500 rpm the car comes to life. Their is maintenance ive done timing belt struts engine wire harness (why i got the car no power to the throttlebody) I have access to specialty tool dice scan tools and volvo tech line. but if you but a 15yr old car expect maintence costs and a lot of the work is dealership only because of reprogramming. I drive the car 300 plus miles a week with minimal problems problem i dont know if from preventative maintenance but the car treats me good but if you are not mechanically inclined you probably dont want to get this car or any other 15yr old car all wear parts will fail at some point with good maintenance on some common sence you can have volvos run 300k i see them every day but the owner take car of them if any thing listen to your car it will tell you when something is wrong and act on it spending a little money now will save you a major repair later timing belts fluid flushes engine lights their on for a reason if a part continues to fail someone hasent diagnosed the root problem have a skilled tech take a look but all in all i like the car

Still going strong after a crash!
By Andrew

1999 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

DO NOT be fooled when they say that this car is safe. My grandma would be dead if she wasn't driving this car. Overall, THIS IS AN AMAZING CAR.

1999 volvo s70 base 5 speed
By sj_volvo_s70

1999 Volvo S70 4dr Sedan

What can I say that has not already been said.
Very noisy dashboard,
pathetic acceleration.. Air conditioner decides to stop working after its been working fine all day,
wind noise,
power door locks not working, and the locks in the back are at the rear of the door, very tough to reach...
The need to always have the code reader in the car, just in case!!!
Very poorly design throttle-body.. gets dirty really easy causing most drive-ability problems..
MPG not good for a small 5 cylinder with 5 speed manual low-mid 20's..
my 99 e320 with a v6 and auto 27+ mpg...

Stay Away
By mecjac

1999 Volvo S70 GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

Always told Volvo's were reliable cars. This one has had problems since day one. I have gone through 2 sets of O2 sensors and its ready for a 3rd, used both Volvo and OEM before. 02 sensor harnesses. Replaced throttle body. Oil breather box, emissions system, and PCV needs replaced. Replaced ball joints and tie rod ends. Steering still makes noise. Power steering fluid leak. Cam seal oil leak. 2 heater cores replaced. Ate 2 sets of breaks and rotors in 50K. Turbo needs rebuilt. Fuses and bulbs go out all time. Electric seat motors are going out.
Cup holders are poorly designed.

On the rare occasions it ran properly it was like driving a sportier car.

1.Take design 2.Throw in trash 3.Start over