Used 2015 Volkswagen Tiguan Consumer Reviews - 15 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2015 Volkswagen Tiguan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tiguan model:

Reliablity is questionalble????!!!!!!
By Thazul.

2015 Volkswagen Tiguan S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

After the 3RD/ 31k miles service I noticed the engine light is on and I took it to the dealer, as per dealer diagnose result ' misfiring or cylinder misfiring'. I been following the manufacturer advice in terms of maintenance and using premium 91 gasoline. The adviser from the dealer(since the car is still under warranty, I took it to the dealer) blamed the ARCO premium 91 gasoline(verbally no written statement) and advised me to fix 'cylinder misfiring' which cost me $1,262. Which does not covered under manufacturer warranty. After 31k miles a major issue like this in the engine of VW I was shocked. I am wondering that's all VW can do in terms of manufacturing quality cars. In my experience the cars which are considered to be lower grade than VW are doing far better.....my last Honda Accord started giving major problems like this at 100,000 miles. ******************RIGHT NOW I REGRET MY PURCHASE OF VW TIGUAN*************************

The Tiger that Guzzles
By MichaelDB

2015 Volkswagen Tiguan S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought this used Tiguan 8 weeks ago primarily as my commuter car. And for this purpose its been okay. The ride comfort, handling, visibility, and interior controls are great. It cruises nicely on the freeway; and with conservative driving I'm averaging around 33mpg, much better then the advertised 26mpg. The engine is peppy when needed. So far no mechanical or electrical issues. But there are 2 things that have really disappointed me. From a standstill there is a brief lag (about 1 sec) between the time I step on the accelerator and the car reacts. And it happens often when shifting from 2nd to 3rd and from 3rd to 4th in slow moving traffic. Its produces a mini whiplash. Its incredibly annoying. My wife hates driving it. I took it to a dealer to ask if there was an adjustment or program tweak that could eliminate this - "sorry that's how they're made." The second thing is city driving - this car gulps premium gasoline. Shortly after purchasing it I took a 40 mile round trip drive on city streets in Los Angeles and it consumed 4 gallons of premium. For those of you that don't like math that's 10mpg!!! Horrendous! False advertising! No where near the rated 21mpg. I was shocked and since then I've been monitoring my street driving and the milage is really bad. My combined MPG is misleading cause I drive 80% on freeway. Buyers beware if you plan on driving city streets. It needs premium fuel and in Los Angeles that's expensive.

List of problems with Tiguan
By Jeff

2015 Volkswagen Tiguan S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Here are the problems I have had with the Tiguan over the past two years which together make me believe that the car is unsafe to drive.
The worst problem is that even at the highest setting, the windshield wipers are too slow. This makes the car DANGEROUS in a heavy rain. It is also tricky finding the shut off setting on the wipers and so it generally takes at least a couple of tries. To add to the problem the headlights are too dim. The dealer says they are okay but they aren’t. The visibility to the right is poor if you are tall. The seat does not go down far enough and so your view is obstructed to the right. And if the backseats are in the up position, the rear view mirror is worthless because the head rests are too high. So we have the mid-section down all the time to see out the back. But that kills a lot of space. The head rests do not appear to be removable. All headrests are not comfortable for people who are 5'4" or 6'0" and they are hard and so even though the seats are otherwise quite comfortable, for a long trip, the car is not comfortable. The back seats only go down to about a 30 degree angle which means you lose a lot of what you thought was space for cargo. Turning off the turn signal turns out to be a trick; you go all the way left and all the way right and eventually find the middle which turns it off; bad engineering. The gas pedal is overactive and so there is a tendency to lurch forward. The keys to the car have automatic locking (sometimes). My car has been robbed twice because I thought it was locked and we come back all the time to find it is unlocked. Again, the dealer could not find a problem. The turning radius is pathetic; more like a truck. Like other cars, the automatic windows are annoying because it takes an effort to open a window a crack (going all the way down and all the way up). The red security light when the car is off is a tip off for car thieves. Brilliant feature. There is a ticking noise in the back that the car repair guys have no idea what it is but it is annoying on a trip. The backup system is out of date already; not bad, but not good either. The radio has Sirius and is otherwise too complicated. The Bluetooth no longer works. The gas indicator is fairly uniform until you get to the red zone. Then you have 20 miles, but it looks like ¼ a tank on the dial. Learned this the hard way. The gas door rusts very easily. You have to clean it every time but it is still rusting. The rest of the car has not had that problem, but we don’t get salt on the car. You have to go to a dealer to reset the warning messages on the dash even if it’s an easy fix. Also some of the messages are big brother watching. In the front seat console, the slots are too deep and narrow. So you have to rent a 3 year old to get stuff out of there.

Avoid 2015 models
By Tushar Sorte

2015 Volkswagen Tiguan SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Poor Outward Visibility with small mirrors and horrible backing up camera. Worst cargo space in this category of cars.

dissappointed
By Diana

2015 Volkswagen Tiguan S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

when this car runs its awesome, let me say again when it runs this is the first new car i've ever purchased and within the first year i was having problems. Almost every 6 to 8 months something was breaking or failing on this car I've owned it 5 years and that NEVER changed i was trying to keep it cause its payed off but I'm over it. In all fairness i live in las vegas and I went to an outside mechanic not the dealer for once and he said its cause a lot of their parts are plastic and don't do well in our heat so maybe just you desert inhabitants go in a different direction.