Used 2012 Volkswagen Tiguan Consumer Reviews

Used Tiguan for Sale
Select your model:
12345...8

Pros
Cons
5 out of 5 stars

Very satisfied!

scootyroo, 12/27/2012
S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I haven't owned a VW for some time, but after getting a fantastic deal on a new 2012 Tiguan (including 0% financing) and being blown away by its performance and quality, I turned around and bought a new GTI. As I had reviewed before purchasing the Tiguan, the statement "It's a GTI on steroids," is accurate. Get the base model, with the manual transmission, and you'll smile every time you think about it. We live in the mountains and still get on the throttle for fun, but we're getting 24 mpg in mixed driving. While I love the new GTI, I have to say that for an all-around family vehicle, you can't beat the Tiguan if it's the right size for you.

2 out of 5 stars

I want to love this car, but I can't

Rich, 10/22/2016
LE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have had several thousands of dollars of work done on this car, mostly covered by warranty. Now that I'm 2500 miles outside the warranty, the car is in the shop about every three weeks for something wrong. The last time, I was driving down the highway and the engine shut down and gave me a code. I was able to safely pull off and get it to the dealership, but that scared me and was incredibly dangerous! Every dealership I've been to keeps telling me it's not worth much because VW comes in "soft" for trade in value. I've had it. It was a great ride while it lasted, but I'll never buy VW again.

1 out of 5 stars
1 out of 5 stars
3.75 out of 5 stars

Unreliable at 100 miles

nytig29, 07/24/2012
S 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Brand new 2012 VW Tiguan S 4Motion from Open Road VW of Staten Island. I DO NOT recommend this dealer for sales or service. Buying experience was ok without any surprises so far but the AC stopped working 5 days later at 100 miles on vehicle. Brought in for service and these are their excuses: #1: machine to diagnose doesn't work, #2: need to order part and cannot tell you when it will come in, likely 3-4 weeks. #3: now got part but something else is wrong and cannot release car, cannot tell what's wrong yet, etc. They haven't even given me an estimated time of completion, neglect to call back when they say would call back, they just don't care. I do not trust them with my car.

4.75 out of 5 stars

Impressed With My First SUV

twelvecrows, 02/04/2012
SE 4dr SUV w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I was a Volvo C30 owner and decided that I wanted to see what was going on around me while driving: It was just too low. I decided to replace it with a SUV. The XC60 was too expensive, and the CRV was too dull. I decided on the Tiguan, even though Edmunds lists the Total Cost of Ownership quite high. As to the car's quality feel, the other reviewers are spot-on. I am liking the car more and more each day. But... The transmission races to get the car into sixth gear as quickie as possible in order to save fuel at the expense of smooth, linear acceleration. This is somewhat remedied by using sport mode but at the cost of greater fuel consumption. I wish VW had sought the middle road.

3 out of 5 stars

Nice interior but engine performance is ok

Tony Watanabe, 06/25/2016
S 4dr SUV w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

What I like the most my Tiguan S with Full Option is the interior. Once I get in a car, it makes me feel relax and smile. Wide open sunroof is very nice. My driver seat is ok. However, on the passenger seat, my wife always complains it is not comfortable. She has a trouble adjusting the seat position. My wife often change her seat position, especially for a long drive. I taught her several times how to adjust the manual passenger seat position, which she never figure it out. Sometimes, my co-worker sits on the passenger seat, when we go out for lunch, and he/she has a trouble too. The entertainment system is poor. It does not have USB connector to play music or charge my phone. It has an old special iPhone connector with the cable, but no use. (I have an Android phone.) Engine shakes with a slow steady speed around 30 to 35 mph. Despite of 2.0L turbo, I cannot enjoy the acceleration. I heard APR offers ECU update and upgrade turbo. In order to enjoy Tiguan's acceleration, we need an aftermarket equipment. Even without any upgrade, my Tiguan suffers mpg. Overall, it is ok...

12345...8