Used 2012 Volkswagen Tiguan Consumer Reviews - 37 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tiguan model:

Doesn't age well
By M Cantwell

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL 4dr SUV w/Premium Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

We own a 2012 Tiguan. Rides well, great acceleration and performance. Superior braking in early years, OK now (2018). Rear seat is satisfactory, not great. Very limited cargo space. Mileage will not match reported values but probably typical for class. Although we have not experienced many of the problems reported, particularly as related to performance, the Tiguan dos the age well. Expect numerous expensive repairs. Specifically, the drain tubes that empty the water pan, a feature that collects condensation, clog causing water to back up into the interior. This is an expensive fix. The water pump is sure to fail. Most critical and pensive repair is the turbo charger. The dealership first diagnosed this as a faulty turbo oil diverter valve which is a fairly reasonable fix. Hen the diverter doesn't correct the proble, dealership claims the entir turbo must be replaced and, of cours, this does not fix the problem. The turbo job is a long, deep engine, expensive fix, over $2000. Where we go from here, I don't know, neither do the VW mechanics. ThemTiguan looks great, handle well and has very good performance in its early life, but my suggestion, don't buy this vehicle. Many choices in this class. Keep looking.

Over all Great vehicle
By Freedom

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Pro's: comfortable and fun small SUV but feels more like a you are driving a car. I love the lack of delay in going from gears, the comfort, the sound quality, and the safety of this car. Love Love Love that. Con's: too small to really be considered a compact SUV. Too low to the ground. Its MPG is not that impressive for its size. The trunk is too small to be considered a "compact SUV". Change the size of the trunk, and raise the car and I think it would be much more effective. My Bluetooth does not function correctly and there are issues with some models regarding the fuel injection (or something) but a good dealership will fix it for free, per VW site. Last complaint is that others have also had issues with the trunk latch malfunctioning ( i have had this too). No idea what caused this. Total cost to fix is from $125.00-177.00. Overall, this car has a great company behind it, they own up and fix things. The car is safe, comfortable, effective, fun, awesome look, and great for family or the single adventurer. If you know how to drive an SUV you will get more mileage out of the car than what it list.

I want to love this car, but I can't
By Rich

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan LE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have had several thousands of dollars of work done on this car, mostly covered by warranty. Now that I'm 2500 miles outside the warranty, the car is in the shop about every three weeks for something wrong. The last time, I was driving down the highway and the engine shut down and gave me a code. I was able to safely pull off and get it to the dealership, but that scared me and was incredibly dangerous! Every dealership I've been to keeps telling me it's not worth much because VW comes in "soft" for trade in value. I've had it. It was a great ride while it lasted, but I'll never buy VW again.

Nice interior but engine performance is ok
By Tony Watanabe

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan S 4dr SUV w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

What I like the most my Tiguan S with Full Option is the interior. Once I get in a car, it makes me feel relax and smile. Wide open sunroof is very nice. My driver seat is ok. However, on the passenger seat, my wife always complains it is not comfortable. She has a trouble adjusting the seat position. My wife often change her seat position, especially for a long drive. I taught her several times how to adjust the manual passenger seat position, which she never figure it out. Sometimes, my co-worker sits on the passenger seat, when we go out for lunch, and he/she has a trouble too. The entertainment system is poor. It does not have USB connector to play music or charge my phone. It has an old special iPhone connector with the cable, but no use. (I have an Android phone.) Engine shakes with a slow steady speed around 30 to 35 mph. Despite of 2.0L turbo, I cannot enjoy the acceleration. I heard APR offers ECU update and upgrade turbo. In order to enjoy Tiguan's acceleration, we need an aftermarket equipment. Even without any upgrade, my Tiguan suffers mpg. Overall, it is ok...

Great performance with a few trade-offs...
By Rich G

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan LE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I LOVE this car's performance, when it's in Sport mode. However, regular drive mode shift way too early and the car feels slow and at times a little jerky. The brakes are responsive, but feel like they are grinding. Twice technicians confirmed there was nothing wrong, though. It beats the heck out of the Nissan Rogue I was driving, but this car is in the shop EVERY 3,000 miles on the dot because something is always breaking. Thank goodness it's covered under warranty, but that leads me to believe my out-of-pocket costs will be sky-high once the vehicle exits the warranty period. Just bought it in April (7 months ago)with only 25,000 miles on it, and it has had every window motor replaced, a couple of them twice, and the latest issue was the cooling fan died. The 40,000 mile service costs $650 just to have the car examined and the oil changed, so I will be scoping out other options.