Used 2010 Volkswagen Tiguan Consumer Reviews

Used Tiguan for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...13

Pros
Cons
1 out of 5 stars

The worst car I've ever owned/leased, 2010 Tiguan!

BobVilla, 12/20/2016
S 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I leased this car for three years, then financed it for three and a half years. I figured that it hadn't had any issues and why not just own it since I only drive it to and from the train station everyday (average about 7k miles a year). I took care of the car. Made all scheduled oil changes and check ups at the dealership @ Curran in Stratford CT. This past year has been a complete nightmare. I looked forward to finally having no payments which was going to end in July 2016. In May the waterpump went ($1200). Of course the warranty ended in Jan. I only had 44,000 miles, but the 5 years was up. About a month later the light popped on again. This time I was told it was the turbo. So I just replaced the sensor ($350) and more recently got a new turbo installed ($2700). Meanwhile, I'm now told there is oil leaking in 3 places. Each of these replacements will cost about $400 each (another $1200). I don't have the money to fix the leaks. So I have to hold off for now. So now I don't have any car payments. But I have already spent $4250 this year, with another $1200 for the leaks starting in 2017!

2 out of 5 stars

Great car until the turbo blows out the engine

CB, 05/31/2017
Wolfsburg Edition 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

My 2010 Tiguan looks brand new. I loved the car. I've driven it about 97k highway miles. Took it to mechanic after check engine light kept coming on. The car became noisy and ran rough. The mechanic (who I've had for years and has advised me regarding all of my vehicles & never failed me yet) said it might be just plugs or such. He went through my engine & said it looked like the turbo was blowing out 2 of the cylinders. The check engine light continued to come back on after replacing the plugs and working on whatever else could cause such a problem. (I don't know much about engines) & he said I should get rid of the vehicle as quickly as possible as a repair to fix the problem would be extremely expensive and not worth it. I looked for a recall notice and saw that many folks are having this same problem. I've actually kept the vehicle rather than trading it in. I was offered $3500 trade in and I don't think the dealership where I purchased my new vehicle even realized it had a problem. They looked at the vehicle and did not road test it. I would hate to see someone else purchase my old car and get stuck with really big problem. I have 2 other vehicles. One with 89k miles and one with close to 200k miles. I take good care of my cars.

4 out of 5 stars
5 out of 5 stars
5 out of 5 stars

Be Warned - Tiguan TSI Engine Major Failure

R Spurzem, 01/11/2017
S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Be warned! The 4-cylinder TSI engine in the Tiguan is known for failure due to timing belt issues. The fix is a "new engine". If you are shopping for a used Tiguan in the 2009 and 2010 years, ask if the engine has been replaced. I am telling you this from experience. My Tiguan is at the mechanic now getting a new engine. The mechanic said, "I see these TSI motors used in the VW Tiguan and other VW models all the time". Update: engine is replaced for approx. $5,000.

Repairs started at 30,000

Disappointed, 12/10/2016
Wolfsburg Edition 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have always had a vw but this was my last. At 30,000 engine coils failed on the highway and it went downhill from there. By 70,000 miles I had: 3 intake manifolds, a new turbo, turbo taken apart and cleaned once for $750, broken suspension coil in rear, struts went bad, 2 sets of spark plugs and towed twice. This was on top of routine maintenance like new brakes and tires. It caused me so much stress and was not dependable at all. When I bought the car the plan was to give it to my 20 year old daughter when I got a new one, but I didnt trust that it was dependable enough for her. Traded it in and for the first time I no longer drive a volkswagen.

4 out of 5 stars

3.38 out of 5 stars

First VW may be my Last

tg3, 05/26/2011
S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Owned a chevy and honda previously, went with the Tiguan b/c the manual trans and looks... have had the car just over a year and it's been in the dealer for fixes 3 times (my chevy and honda needed nothing but routine maintenance). People warned me with buying a VW, but I was like 'how can it be so bad if so many people have them?'. Well sadly I am finding out. I love the car but never imagined having probs with a car that's only a year old. How can VW shoot for achieving #1 car sales if they make junk? Well, this is definitely my last VW, thinking of trading it for a Rav4 before I have to start paying for the repairs. Sorry to say, I did have hopes of 6 years with this car.

12345...13