2018 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews - 8 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Passat 2018
By Paulstheman81@yahoo.com

2018 Volkswagen Passat SE w/Technology 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Transmission has a hesitation when driving slow and shifting from 1st to 2nd.

Old VW owner
By Dave

2018 Volkswagen Passat SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Had this one a month and love it. My 6th VW over over 45 years and it has been fantastic. Comfortable yet fun to drive.

Not surprised liking my Passat
By Dan Nigro

2018 Volkswagen Passat SE w/Technology 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I only have 614 miles on my Passat SE w/Tech so far. 1st tankful got 27.1 mpg city. Haven't taken highway trip yet. I owned a 2004 JETTA TDI for 3 years w/6 speed manual transmission. Averaged 38 mpg/Diesel city & 54 mpg/highway. Handled extremely well taking curves, shifting gears. VW German engineering hasn't changed. The past 6 years, I leased a BMW 328iX, then a 2016 Ford Fusion Titanium. When it came time to research & test drive other vehicles, Hyundai Sonata, Subaru Legacy, Honda Accord, I then turned to VW because of VW's 6 year/72,000 mile (transferable) warranty. After test driving the Passat SE w/tech, there was no doubt and I purchased the Passat. The Dealer I chose was after dealing with 3 VW Dealerships. I purchased from my 4th VW dealership because of their many 5 star Customer YELP ratings, and having purchased New & pre-owned vehicles the past 57 years, I had the most pleasant transaction with this 4th VW Dealer, also gave them a 5 Star YELP rating, in addition to the other 3 VW Dealers couldn't beat their price. I enjoy driving my 2018 Passat, and being retired, the 614 miles are all pleasure driving. I can't say anything negative about this Sedan.

Disappointed
By Mr. Jay

2018 Volkswagen Passat SE w/Technology 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I wanted to like this car, in fact I do like the car for its looks and room. Unfortunately, it just isn't what I expected. I do realize I am coming from a midsize GM sedan but I just don't see how VW sells these things with such high ratings. First off, mine came with Bridgestone tires, one of 4 different tires VW uses on these cars. Tire Rack rates these as the lowest of all OEM tires. They are terribly loud and create a lot of noise on the highway while sending vibration back into the steering wheel.. The Continental tires which are on some of these Passats are highly rated. Second is the engine transmission combo. The engine has plenty of pep but I find that the tranny never is feeling the right shift point whether in regular or sport mode. Lastly which is what will make me sell this car before I finish paying it off is the way it surges after a stop. For some reason after a full stop, when I release my foot off the brake and before I can get to the gas pedal, the car jumps forward. The dealer tells me that is the way these cars are. It has to do with the clutch releasing or the turbo or something. It doesn't make sense to me and it is the most unsettling thing. Also, and this is just me, I always have bought black cars. Now maybe because this just recently was produced but the clear coat scratches unbelievably easy. I mean if I see a water spot or something on the paint and I swipe the spot ever so gently with my finger or cloth, the clear coat will get spider lines in it. I'm hoping the clear just has to cure and this will stop. So I'm not bashing VW as plenty of people go gaga over these Passats, its just not for me.

It's Not a Lexus
By Marilyn

2018 Volkswagen Passat SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Coming off a bad accident in which I totaled my Lexus 350 ES, I was looking for all the safety features I could get, and the VW Passat had them. It seems to be a strong, reliable vehicle, but I've only had it for three weeks. Gas mileage is great.The brakes grab quickly, so you have to get used to them. I'm still learning all the bells and whistles, but the basics of windshield wipers, lights, gas cap, etc. are easy enough. The ride is very stiff, as in most German cars, which is a big adjustment for me after driving Lexus sedans for 12 years, but it's a fun ride. So far I'm pleased with the vehicle; ask me again in a year or two.