Used 2015 Volkswagen Passat Diesel Consumer Reviews - 18 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2015 Volkswagen Passat Diesel Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Hard to beat 42 MPG Hwy in a family sedan.
By Jedi Dad

2015 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

A true manual would be awesome, but I'm a purist. At 603 and 300 lbs. getting in/out is troublesome, but its a great ride for long distances. Maintenance free. Just change the oil every 10K. For diesel change the fuel filter every 40-50K miles too.

this is an auto that fells like it will lastforeve
By william

2015 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

you will learn to love it!!!

VW paid me to buy another one
By Fred Brown

2015 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I've driven diesels since 1983, and was still driving the Mercedes I bought in 1988 in 2012 because they weren't bringing anything I wanted to the USA. Because the car was a stick shift, still looked near-new with 297,000 miles on it, someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse on a car that was getting seriously outdated technologically. I checked the diesels available, including VW, and soon after bought a Jetta TDI 6M because the dealer called me with a bargain offer. Someone loved their Jetta TDI so much, they traded it after only 10 months for a similar Passat. Price was great. And...I liked it too, but kept it and just bought a 2014 Passat TDI 6M in addition. REALLY loved that car, but in Spring 2018 VW decided the few hundred stick-shift Passat TDI's were too hard to write new software for, and notified me it had to be sold back to them. So I located an auto broker who had just bought two trailer loads of VW's from the company, and two of them where 2015 TDI 6M's one with very low mileage when it was "sequestered". Stick shifts weren't popular in his city, and he offered it to me for over $10,000 less than VW had paid me for my 2014. The car has the new "Euro 6" diesel, which meets US and European emissions limits honestly. Some of the interior has been cheapened a little, and I swapped many switches, the seats, interior lighting, and some trim, from my 2014 to the 2015 before selling it back to VW. They said they didn't care. Driving it home the 350+ miles from the broker, on mostly Interstate with the cruise set on 82 mph, and about 80 miles of rural 2-lane, I got 54.9 mpg. That's about 3 mpg better than my 2014 with the older engine (which is the same as the one in my Jetta TDI, which has been trouble-free at 95,000 miles). With its 240 ft/lb of torque as low as 1,500 rpm it has ample freeway acceleration, its ride is superb, handling excellent for a FWD car (I own and drive sports cars), and as everyone notes, passenger and luggage space is astounding. The dimensions and body shell are about identical with the Audi A6, yet the Passat gets 2+ extra inches of rear leg room, without giving up trunk space or front passenger space. How?? I have not had to test the stability control on this car, but it is essentially the same as on the Jetta TDI - and I HAVE tested that: cresting a slight to an overpass at 75 mph in the Interstate, traffic was at a complete standstill due to an accident, and in the half-second it took me to realize the situation, I also noted there were several chain-reaction rear-end collisions right in front of me as a result. Knowing I had stability control, I jammed on the brakes, steered onto the left shoulder, right wheels on asphalt and left wheels on grass which sloped steeply left to a drainage channel in the center of the median as the Interstate sloped downward from the overpass I'd just crossed. And doing still over 50 mph, the car did not swerve, did not slide down the hill and overturn, it simply juddered a bit and stopped. beside about the 3rd car in the line. And, as the car behind me hit the car I had been behind. You can tell I think VW has done a good job on the stability control's logic. I don't really expect this Passat to be "nearly new" as it nears 300,000 miles like my last Mercedes was. That was a car designed to be "the European/world taxi" as well as a nice passenger car, and there are many, many in Europe with over 2 million miles. But the last of VW's TDI's with the 2015 Euro 6 motor they currently use there (and the most popular motor in Europe in their larger cars) is a fine car, made in Chattanooga TN thought it may be, with the motor shipped in and installed. They haven't used the diesel in the US in 2017 or 2018, but the new[ish] turbo4 gasoline engine does a great job, has almost the power of the diesel, and since you probably like automatic cars instead of the stick shifts I use exclusively, you'll find the Passat an amazing bargain. A big, comfortable, great handling, economy car. Say what?!

Great Until the Turbo Blew Up
By David A Winters-Dunn

2015 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I had a 2013 Passat TDI SE that was great and part of the buyback program. About a month before I was supposed to sell it back to VW, the Turbo blew up around 80k miles. The car was in the shop for 2 months. What happened was the turbo blew metal into the engine and destroyed the engine, at least that is what they told me. So, the car had a new turbo and a new engine that had to be flown from Germany. I would have expected that the turbo not blow up and destroy the engine, but... I was disappointed. Had I been planning on keeping the car that would have been great, but knowing that there are issues with the turbos on these cars, unless you plan on installing a new one that isn't junk, then I would steer clear of the car. When I bought the car, I bought the extended warranty, which cost around $1800. The repair total on the engine replacement and turbo was close to $9000, so thankfully I bought that.

VW Passat TDI
By Curt F

2015 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

When the service engine light goes off, its at least a $500 (part alone). Not including labor. Special diesel oil and a lot of dealer parts because parts stores don't carry most of the parts.