Used 1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews

$831 - $1,915

Used New Beetle for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Follow Up - from May 2006 Review

christianhoy, 07/16/2013

Well, it's been 14 years. Bought it new in June of '99 because it was the "futuristic looking concept car that you could drive". The silver beetle really took the cake, spurred on with the commercial "Reverse engineered from U.F.O.'s." Now 14 years later, it runs and looks like the day I bought it. I wanted all manual - so I got the GL. It's hauled all kinds of cargo - kayaks, canoes, fish aquariums, metal house roofing, it even tows a small sailboat. Get the factory roof rack. Have it serviced by a knowledgeable dealer every year, and keep up on the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual. No Problems, No Issues, just miles and miles of adventure and fun.

Been 10 great years

trazy, 06/02/2013

I purchased mine back in 03' from a dealership with 35k miles. I just crossed the 110k mark. So far I've had nothing I'd consider a "major" problem. At 90k miles the water pump went out. I also replaced the tensioner and belt. Yesterday it started misfiring bad and learned the coil pack had gone bad. I also replaced the spark plugs and the wires while having that replaced. Aside from that just changing the oil, brake pads, filters...etc. Only needing 2 sub $500 repairs in 10 years of ownership. To me, that's great. Little things have broke though. Switches, trunk latch, knobs. But those are little DIY cheap repairs.

one tough beetle!

roman_capps, 06/09/2013

At first the beetle looks girly and cheap. girly to some, but cheap only in cosmetics. for the 13 years of it's life it has been ragged out by a teenage girl and my father. Both have been over revved before they change gears. my father changes gears at 9000 or 90000 revolutions (can't remember) and it sends chills up my spine when he goes up hills. Not one transmission replacement to me that is amazing it sits at 195k miles. Rockwell is a great company, only in mechanical. The cosmetics on this car are absolutely cheap and plastic the entire door panel has been torn off. It's true how Volkswagen has been given to the beetle it is truly the people's car.

1999 VW Beetle (2.0 Engine, GLS, Automatic)

hulahips2, 12/18/2012

Love my buggie!!!!!!!!!! I bought this used with approximately 55,000 miles on it back in 2010. Now my mileage is @ 75,000 and it has held up nicely. My buggie can move when I need it to, stop when I need it too. Suspension is awesome! I can fit into any stall with ease. And i think the quality is top notch (excluding switches, etc.), however, the German glass is top notch, so is the body from rust and the door closes nicely. in fact I really like the way VW makes the doors close, that certain sound it makes! LOL I'm truly a VW believer.

Love it so far!

Dangercart82, 09/13/2009

Just got my 1999- cyber green- 2.0 -5 speed with 82k miles. So far I love it! For a 10 year old car it looks outstanding, (Cyber green faded slightly but that is to be expected) It had one previous owner and was well maintained. I had to replace the timing belt right away because it had never been done and the motor for the window/lock on the drivers side was dead (also to be expected.) The ABS light is always on, not sure if that's a big deal or not yet the brakes seem to work fine. Other than all that she is perfect :)

In Love with the Beetle

Beetle Bill, 11/08/2009

I bought this car back in 1999 drove it until our daughter turned 16 and gave it to her. She took it to college and her first job. I took it back when it had water pump problem at 100,000 miles. Otherwise the engine runs like a Swiss watch. A couple of buttons have broken but I figure that to be expected after 10 years. I would buy another in a heartbeat.

My Review

Patman89, 08/26/2009

I've had my 1999 Red New Beetle for almost two years now... The first year I never had any problems! But my car overheated and dummy me I kept driving with the red coolant light on for about 20 minutes on interstate 80. Luckily no serious damaged was done, but I paid $1100 for labor and the replacements. But I love my Beetle, I really want a newer one thats redesigned, I'm always jealous when I see them. I've been lucky to not have major problems. However, the sun visors on the top do not block the sun at all! The cup holders don't work well since it's under the dashboard. And I notice my seats are that comfy compared to a 2005 model and for long drives my back hurts.

The Bug that just kept Going...

javbw, 06/01/2006

I have a 1999 (2/24/99) GLS bug with 200,000 miles on it, and I drive the heck out of it. I drive it fast, hard, and occaisionally offroad. (get the sport springs). I'm very hard on the things I own, and the fact my Bug is still with me is a testament to it's inital design and early warranty recalls (window switches and a couple sensors back around year 2) - all the "bells and whisles" worriers can forget about it for their next car - and get auto door locks and windows already! All of my issues have stemmed from things thrown at my car on the freeway (rocks, ladders, etc) and as long as you keep up with the maintaince, shocks, and a failed engine sensor every year, you're good.

I love my bug but some complaints

paul, 02/12/2010

I believe as a VW lover you kinda don't worry about some of the problems/I have realized after owning 3 VW's that they have a lot of electrical problems and you would think they would get the hint and fix these problems. But...I bought my 99 bug used of course and it runs great/fun little 5 speed/love the dash/hate the dang cup holders/I agree with other review they stink due to not being able to get anything in the cup holders and when you do the holder comes off with the can!/and also it just feels like it should have a arm rest/but I have 2 kids and I'm surprised at how easy it is to get them in and out of the back/I do worry that it will tear up and I will not have anyone to fix it.

Monday - Friday car?

li'l buggy, 08/25/2005

I'd like to start by saying I love VW Beetles, always have but my little bug has given me a bit of trouble. Is it the year? Is it the day of week it was built? I have had to replace the cooling system ($$$), oil pan, airconditioner ($$$), both windows due to motor failure ($$). And the little things...fuel door won't open from inside, and knob to adjust outside mirrors is broken. It is also expensive to replace the headlights (poor design). I'm wondering if I should get another Beetle, and if Volkswagon has made any improvements in these cute cars. I love the way the Beetle maneuvers expecially on curves and in parking lots. Love to share info with anyone out there.

Always Broke Down

HOLLY, 09/03/2010

I bought my car new in '99 & was so happy for about 2 yrs. The wipers never really cleared the windshield sufficiently & the radio never picked up ANY stations. Cup holders were a joke & the emergency brake would stick when it was cold out (makes it hard to warm up a standard when you can't set the brake) Heater took too long to warm up & if the ac fan was on high forget accelerating. The brake and headlights were a constant hassle as was the O2 sensor (replaced it 3Xs & only the 2nd was covered by a recall) I had 3 breakdowns while traveling, costing thousands. Melted fuse box, blown motor, peeling interior & exterior. I cared for this car properly but always wanted to push it off a cliff!!

You Pay for the performance of a VW

jay, 05/14/2009

Bought it used with 40K miles. Have used it for commuting and drive it hard over two mountains every day. The speed, handling and torque is outstanding. Use V or Z rated tires for better handling. Great in snow! I average 36mpg with an automatic driving hard. Body still looks new. Needs extended sun visors!!! Now the negatives....from 92K to 135K was about $4K in maintainence-- exhaust;cat. converter; axle boots; plus the ENIGINE LIGHT at least 2 time per year at a cost of 3-400 each time! Now faced at 145K whether to keep to dump as I can still pass everyone on the road and go uphills at incredible speed and confidence. Plus--an incredible stereo and safety features for a 10 yr car

Maine New Beetle

VW Flashback, 01/03/2010

Bought new, my daily driver for almost 11 years. Great headroom, & visibility except on some corners the "A" pillars are a massive blind spot. Car has too many plastic bits, started falling off early e.g. overhead bin button & the fuel cap. Recurring check engine light the past few years, garage clears it on oil changes & it's OK for a few months. Lousy in the snow (Maine), use studded snow tires to deal with that. Still I'd rather drive the Bug than anything else in the yard.

1999 Beetle- would buy again!

VW girl, 05/27/2010

have had this car for years, love it! just got totaled in a major hail storm, will buy it back and keep driving it! minor flaws: driver mirrors too high for shorter people (I'm 5'4") impairs view when turning. cup holders are for change etc. or small bottles. was in moderate wreck few yrs back hit in rear 40 mph by SUV pushed into ford f250. beetle came out out great! I had very minor injuries! safe car! passing it on to my daughter today.

Good stuff

Robert94114, 04/21/2004

I have not had any problems with this car. The only pet peves I have is the cup holders and the reverse takes so long to shift the gear on the automatic.

Back to the future

LionJR, 06/25/2004

Highly reliable, efficient, fun to drive transportation. It is very adaptable to carrying people, pets, and lots of tailgating stuff. Gets more looks than my neighbor's BMW. Great gas mileage. A good car to run around town or travel distances. Finding good tires has been the only challenge.

Lotsa small problems

joeynemo, 07/12/2004

Fun car, a lot of Micky Mouse little things that fall apart; Cables, hoses, plastic bits. Everything is held together with plastic, while replacing normal wear and tear items the plastic just breaks during disassembly or reassemmbly. This car is not built to last very long. After 100k miles nothing major has needed to be done but it seems that is just around the corner. Has always burnt oil and has some hesitation while accelerating.

Ughhh so disappointed

iloveu21, 01/24/2011

i 1st bought my car from a used dealership..i loved my buggy and was so excited...BUT the 1st week i bought my car my gadge for my gas was not telling me the proper amount of gas in my car since my car still had a warranty the dealer fixed it. 4 months after that my check engine light came on,and ever since then my car never has been the same...check engine light comes on sometimes for no reason, my cars alternator broke, my engine system broke, and i have gotten to a small car accident which just broke my radiator which just cost me $150...but still it was ridiculous and now after having it for just a year my transmission is DONE and now all that money wasted on fixing my car is nothing now

A true gem

sunnygirl, 07/17/2008

After the purchase of our 99 beetle we have only been back to the dealership for oil changes, nothing else. We purchased the car through the CPO program and never looked back. This car is the best car we have ever owned, hands down!

Bugged Out

dbug, 11/11/2004

I have owned the car for two years. I bought it with 33k miles on it and it now has 86k. The major problem I had with the car was the plastic grill. A plastic highway cone hit the front grill and broke it. $3600 dollars worth of damage! Then a week after I got the car back the compressor failed. The VW dealership who did the work claimed that one didn’t affect the other but since they had to take the entire front of the car apart it seems rather suspect. They want $1700 for a new compressor. Everything on the car is plastic and either breaks or falls off. I won’t be buying another VW product.

Breakable

SS, 01/15/2006

I have had my 1999 Volkswagen Beetle for six years and I have had to replace a little bit of everything. Everything that can go wrong with a car has. It is fun to drive a Bug, but it has so many blind spots.

Good Car

Alisa, 11/17/2006

I've owned my '99 for seven months. I had a '98 Beetle for a year and half before I got this one. When I got into an accident there was no doubt I was getting another Bug. It's a great car, and it does well in the mountains and on long high trips. I've had to change both headlight bulbs, window motors, serpentine belts and the AC has a leak. Aside from these minor things (which I've come to find EVERY car manufacturer has) the car runs great, is fun to drive, and I get tons of compliments on my cute red car. I'm hoping to upgrade to a newer, higher model soon.

Little Things...

Ladys Bug, 12/01/2006

I bought my '99 Beetle with 38,000 miles on it. It now has 52,000 miles. It is pretty good overall, despite the little "Mickey Mouse" problems that most bug owners complain about (cup holders, visors, etc.). The cloth seats do stain easily. The plastic does melt and scratch/break easily. The lights are iffy, however they are not as hard to replace as most think. Get a Haynes Repair manual (about $12 at any auto shop). My car's headlight was replaced in 10 minutes and for only $3 (the cost of the bulb). Everything seems to be working fine except for the CD player which is located in the trunk and a leak in my a.c. evaporator. The shop quoted me about $2,000 to fix it. I said "no thanks" and just added freon. It's good for now until it all leaks out again, in which case i will add more freon.

The Bug

Stuntman, 01/18/2007

VW Beetles are great cars. They are solid and fun to drive. Handling-wise the stock H rated tires crimp them a little, but upgrade to a Y, or Z rated tire and WOW she handles better then my Toyota MR2. Drivetrain-wise the gears are perfect for the power. She will scoot up to 60 in about 7-8 sec (manual 2.0). This is a heck of a fun car to drive on a windy road. It gets great gas mileage, 30-32 mpg highway.

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle

zoomzoom06, 08/08/2007

Ok, so I loved this car when I first got it. Fun to drive, envy of friends, etc. Well, then the problems started. This car eats fluids like crazy, the oil and anitfreeze especially. The fuse for the brakelights blew. The 'check engine' and ABS lights stay on for no reason. I have heard these are common problems, but come on, you'd think they would have fixed them. Also, I hate pumping it with gas. If the pump's nozzle is not in just the right position, the stupid thing stops because the sensor says the tank is full although it is not. There are so many more problems I could list, but there is not enough room to put them all down! Reconsider whether or not to purchase, and don't do it!

Great car

e, 09/30/2007

I love my car. It's been great - it's got about 166,000 miles on it at this point, same clutch! Needs only the basic maintenance, nothing special. Fun to drive. Paint still looks great, still running strong. Will easily make it past 200,000. No doubt.

I love my yellow Beetle

tara, 12/06/2007

I have to say my bug is running good even thought it has 137,000 miles on it no major problems yet. And this is the first bug I ever owned and I love it. Great on gas. But the light bulbs have to be changed every time one goes out. I just love my bug, it's a fantastic car when nothing goes wrong with it.

VW longevity

lisa'sVW, 12/11/2007

I have wanted a VW since I was a child. In 2000 I purchased my first beetle. I am still driving it to this day. The bug has over 110,000 miles on it. The only problems I have had are the buttons on the radio snapped off inside the dash and I had to have it repaired, my heater died, and one sensor when bad. I can not stress enough to have only a VW dealership work on your car for any repair. I recently had new belts, spark plugs and wires, and few other things done to my car, only because I wanted to be a good "mommy" and take care of my baby. The garage was not a VW repair shop. To fix what they messed up has costed me over 1500. I have learnt my lesson.

Love-Bug

JerseyShore524, 05/16/2008

Love my car! I can fit 3 adults (me included) and a car seat quite comfortably. It hugs turns and is quick as a bunny. German cars are really made better!!

Not a great car to buy, lot of repairs

Zeus, 12/27/2016
GLS 2dr Hatchback

Bought this vehicle in 2015 may, within few weeks of buying i had a lot of issues. Everything fell apart except engine. Things i got replaced/repaired are water pump, radiator, fans for ac and radiator, muffler was rusty so replaced as it broke, leaky washer tank, battery. I spent a lot of money after buying, i had to sell it as it was a totally unreliable.

Calling Dr.Porsche

BuySwedish, 01/21/2004

You can spend millions if not billions on quirky,Mtv like commercials, but you can't build a quality car?I have to say it is by far the worse car I have ever owned.This is coming from a guy who has owned three Saab 900's.Why is this? Well,Everything falls apart,everything from the side mirrors to the shift knob, to the gas door, to the window switches, to the melted fuses to the terrible radio(hasn't worked in a year)

A good and a bad car.

Tara, 04/30/2008

A week ago I wrote a review for me bug and a couple of days when I wrote the review I have noticed that the transmission is doing some weird noises.

Debt.

savannahb, 05/27/2013

We bought this car as a first car, and at first, it was great... Until about two months later when we spent $1200 on engine, heating, and oil repairs. (Mind you, $1200 is a little less than half of what we paid for it.) Then the buggy worked fine until the window rolled down and wouldn't roll back up... And the tail light bulb burst... And the battery kept dying. If I had the choice, I'd sell it to my now-well-known VW repair man for spare parts and buy a RELIABLE car.

Heartbreaker

RachieSLC, 03/08/2004

I was so excited when I bought my Beetle. I had wanted one since they came out in 1998. I had about a good 2 months until I realized the air conditioning didn't work, which was just the beginning of my repair woes. I have had my car in THREE times to have the air conditioner fixed along with the windows and window switches, the gas and trunk hatches, the temperature guage, and other problems. In the two years I owned this car, I took it to have it fixed TEN TIMES. My clutch went out and it cost $1400 to have it fixed. The week after that, my check engine light came on. I sold that lemon and bought a Civic Si.

Don't get one

RollTide, 03/25/2004

My VW is fun to drive howeever I am not sure I can afford to drive it... Although I did purchase an extended warranty I am out over $1000.00 in one year. Knobs fall off, lights go bad, 27 miles to the gallon, Radio Sux, Poor workmanship

Not my Grandma's '58

straightliner, 08/28/2007

First VW I've owned. Purchased used w/55K and doubled the mileage. Not bad in the beginning, but repairs have been escalating. Went through three water pumps, mass air flow sensor failed, intake leak (causing check engine light and failed emissions), radiator replacement. Funny, but all the electrical glitches and broken plastic others complain about haven't been a problem. The alarm system never seemed to work as advertised, trunk latch doesn't always catch and I got stranded w/the valet key once, but otherwise OK. Fun to drive, love the stick and still turns heads after all these years. I'm glad I tried it, but approaching 110K and $4,000 in repairs, I'm ambivalent.

Beetles are Extremely Uncomfortable

baileym12, 10/06/2005

I bought my 1999 Volkswagen Beetle because I was looking for a car with good gas milage three months ago. I have to comute at least 60 miles one way to work. The seats are extremely uncomfratable, to the point where I have extreme back pain and I have to use a towel to support my lower back. The quality inside stinks, it is very poorly designed, has bad cup holders, and everything is plastic and falls off. The side mirrors are postioned very high so there is a big blind spot when you take left turns, which is very dangerous at night. The only thing that the Beetle has going for is its gas milage and reliablity. It says 32 mpg, but I can manage 34-36mpg. I haven't had any problems mechanically, but the unbearable cabin design forced me to trade it in.

1999 new beetle

Mark, 01/02/2016
GL 2dr Hatchback

I had just bought a 1999 new beetle but my problem ,it takes long to start the engene .you start several times but the engene doesn't pick up immediately .can I say it the fuel pump ,Air mass flour , battery wires . Please whoever is there and experience d the same pls I need your advice.Mark

Never Again

vw99, 06/09/2008

Bought the car used from a VW dealership, said it had been checked out and was in great condition. 6 months later came in for extensive engine repairs, have been back to the service department at least 4 times a year since then for random electrical failures. Check engine light is on at least once a month for no reason, I go in and pay $90 for them to turn it off. Have spent over half of what I paid for the car in repairs and that is with taking it to cheaper garages instead of paying the ridiculous prices at the dealership. It is very cute and fun to drive but extremely poor quality and the most unreliable car I've ever driven. Do not make the same mistake!

I have gotten my money's worth!

Emilee, 07/12/2008

Bought my bug used on Ebay for $6500 with 75,000 miles on it. It now has $130K miles and is still going strong. I have maintained this vehicle and it only broke down once when some board fried out and cost me $238. The AC Compressor did go out and the dealership quoted $1200 to replace it. Instead I bought a compressor on Ebay for $200 and my mechanic put it in for $200 and its been working fine. It seems like the headlights and brake lights go out a lot and are very expensive to replace. Poor design that allows water intrusion. The trunk latch and gas cap latch stopped working at 100K and the alarm has never worked right. Minor issues overall! I still love it & would buy another.

More room than you think

Collin, 05/14/2002

People think this car has nothing to offer on the outside, but all you have to do is take it for a drive and see just how much headroom you have that you won't find in other cars. Plus what is truly amazing is just how quite and and deceptively fast this car feels. You'll find yourself driving down the highway thinking you are going 70mph when in actuality you are going around 90 or more. And when it comes to a quiet ride, it is amazing. Its nice riding and quick responsive when turning or switch lanes. This car handles just like a little sports car and as such i find myself driving it that way. Take it for a test drive, you will not be disappointed at all.

A Solid Vehicle

dsiddle, 07/27/2002

I have found my New Beetle to be a solid performer. Pickup is adequate and the ride is very comfortable for a small car. Interior room is surprisingly spacious and the instruments/controls are well laid out. Power windows and mirrors have worked without difficulty. My only problem has been AM reception on the radio which the dealer says is in the radio itself.

Never Again

JJ, 12/22/2004

This my LAST VW. I have electrical problems galore. Now the headliner is coming off and some of the leather on the driver's door is coming unglued. What terrible quality for a German car, and VW won't stand behind their own work after a measly three years. I am going back to the Japanese cars. They know how to make quality and stand behind their products.

Great.....at the begining

Aryn, 02/17/2005

At first I loved my bug, and now I still love the way it looks. I haven't had any major mechanical problems, but my headlights went out and I took it to Tires Plus and they had the hardest time trying to put new headlights in and didn't get them fixed the first time so I had to go twice. I also have never had all of my break lights work, even 10 minutes after they are replaced. The trunk release has not worked since I bought it. And I can't go over 60 without it reving to 3,000 rpm. So gas milage isn't what you would expect. The worst thing is the cost of maintenance! But after a year and a half I am still attached, that must say something.

Fun Car / Not Reliable

m_dsdrc, 09/24/2005

I love the design of the 1999 Volkswagen Beetle. It's the cutest car ever made. But it is poorly put together. What ever is made of plastic in that car is going to break. I have had to replace all the window switches in it. And now I cant use my CD player because the plastic switches on the radio have broken. My flex plate in the engine craked and had to be replaced. The actual part only cost $36 but it ended up costing me $800 after labor. So it's not that the parts are expensive is the difficulty to replace things in the car. I had to also replace my alternator, air conditioner, and the window units. My fuel door will not open from the inside If they would just fix all these minor problems it would be an exellent car!

VW Luv my bug

NancyP, 10/27/2004

Okay, only owned it for 2 months, but what a joy to drive! Responsive in traffic- big plus. Shifting a breeze with the 5-speed. Cuter than cute! Safe, fun, performs when asked-- what more could you ask for?

340,000 and still strong as ever

Jim B, 04/13/2019
GLS 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car in 2006 w/82,000 on it. Had the timing belt and water pump changed at that time as this is an interference engine. At 136,000 transmission replaced. In 15000 more miles it will need timing belt/ pump again. Silver color,clear coat is trashed. Interior is wrecked due to my dog that I got when she was 6 months old (she just turned 6 yrs) and she likes to ride on the dash (She's a chihuahua). Even with the trouble I've had,this car is the best. I have an issue with "secondary air flow incorrect" check engine light. Normally that is the plastic piping from the air pump cracked. She might be a bit beat but I love my car...Runs like a top!!

Love this bug

tb, 09/07/2007

I love my yellow color bug. No problems, fantastic on gas. I love all the features on the car. My car is a 1999 VW Bug. I love how the inside dash board lights up blue at night. The seats are really comfortable. When you get on the highway it really responds fast. The car has been mantained.

No trouble at all

Tara, 04/22/2008

I have a yellow bug for a year now and I have no trouble with it yet. I just love the bug. It has a lot of miles on it and I am afraid one day the bug is going to give up so I am thinking of selling it and getting a Volkswagen Cabrio.

Never again...

Mandys, 08/18/2002

If you are considering it, don't. At this point, I doubt that anything more could go wrong with it...4 power window switches, 2 Oxygen Sensors, 1 power mirror switch 1 uncontrollable dead battery right after crappy 2 year warranty expired, knicks all over fenders after 1st week off lot, no warning when I leave lights on, when locking doors w/ remote the car beeps, but the doors do not lock, brakes replaced by VW, they now squeak, and apparently nothing can be done about this, it is terribly embarrassing

51050