Used 2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews - 139 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

NOT meeting Expectation
By ldw3

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

2010 Jetta TDI rated 42 on the road and getting 38 on the road. MPG indicator always reads higher than actual MPG.
Fun to drive...MPG does not meet implied MPG. Car will lope and/or miss fire dealer finds nothing and has no way to correct issue of very low MPG.

Driving the car is fun!

All cars should be required to meet there implied MPG rating on the road. City drive could vary. But, out on the road could be a simple task to meet and all dealer should have proper equipment to locate issues!

Poor quality and poor Service
By nchezy

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

The car has had numerous issues and it is only 27 months old with 38k miles.
Most recently and now 2k miles after warranty coverage ended, the turbo intercooler cracked which caused the particulate filter and EGR cooler to fail.
My extended warranty covers the IC but the DPF and EGR c ooler not covered.
Cost to repair is $2100.
VW offering to contribute $1000.
2-year old car and I owe $1,100 for repair...POOR Quality and VW not standing behind there product.
BEWARE this car and extended warranties purchased from VW

good gas mileage, nice interior, panorama sunroof

Mechnical reliablity and affordable replacement parts. Offer a warranty with less small print

Norm from Mississauga
By nplatt

I have a 2011 Golf Sportswagen (Jetta in U.S.A.) and
knew precisely what I was getting into. I was aware of the DSG problems that have been fixed . I knew that these were perhaps the finest seats that you can get in a car because I have a very bad back and these seats were the tonic. I loaded up the options list because I travel a lot each year - about 60,000 miles per because we have a home just north of Maine and I drive about 16 hours at a stretch.
My only complaints have been the trim seals for the rear doors that were fixed under warranty. Other than that I knew to get a mid cycle refresh model so that all the bugs were worked out.

Like I said the seats are great as is the acceleration with the turbo. Where I drive there is a need for overtaking large trucks and campers so, this car passes others with little drama. Also, the car is nice and quiet at 75 mph. This is clearly a highway vehicle and it gives lots of confidence on long trips and varying climates. Cannot beat the mileage either. I get about 500 miles per tank providing I stay below 75 mph. The torque is addictive!

In Canada all of the sportwagens were fitted with Hankooks which I switched pretty quickly to Continental DWS. Very quiet and a much more composed ride. Also, we do not get the HID headlights which would be a big improvement over the base ones. Finally I had the brakes serviced at my cost ($300.00) and it makes a big difference. VW in my opinion should have done this for free because clearly it needed this servicing.

1.5+ year ownership. Would buy it again.
By balkor2

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I purchased my Jetta TDi early January 2010 and at the time of writing this it is latter September 2011.
Since purchasing the vehicle I have been using Fuelly.com to track my expenses and fuel usage from mile 1. Mixed city driving and average around 38 miles to gallon so I fuel up around once a month. Highway to DC 50+ mpg back roads to Ocean City loaded down with luggage and people 39 mpg.
ISSUES:
iPod cable (on third one and will replace this one on warranty). Bluetooth issue at purchase. Could not pair phone with it. Warranty replace. RCD10 media button came off on my finger more than likely do to interior temp was over 120 degrees F. Transmission did not engage once on a steep hill

We don't get extreme colds here but we do get cold and I love the heated seats! Love the bluetooth hands free. Some states and areas it is illegal to use hand held device. Enjoy the multifunction display. Ergonomics is great and easy to use. Trunk space is great large capacity and love the velco blocks to hold things in place when only a few items.

relocate the iPod dock plug. I am sure that is where the issue is with the bad plug issue. Cigarette lighter - relocate really hampers the use of that area. Would love more feedback from the vehicle like EGT (Exhaust Gas Temperature) some times it is best to leave vehicle idle so wont damage turbo Boost Gauge (turbo boost) - if your cruising at 60 mph it would have Xlbs of boost (being a diesel) if it doesn't one day, you know there is an issue. Also helps with managing the vehicle

If only it were reliable
By chingpoongli

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

19k miles and 21 months of ownership. So far ran into these problems ( all fixed under warranty):
parking brake failure.
Both rear door locks stopped working, doors would not unlock. Dealer replaced the switches.
Front passenger door wouldn't lock, I was in another town on vacation and had to leave the car knowing that the front passenger door was unlocked.
rear center seat belt jammed/locked. dealer replaced the whole mechanism.
Fuel pump failure on 8/1/11. an expense of about $8000, dealer replaced even though they said it was not covered under warranty.
fuel economy dropped to 28 recently.
steering wheel loosened a bit at the center.
pursuing mediation through BBB.

First and foremost reliability and dependability, everything else comes later. stop dumping half baked solutions in the name of cutting edge technologies.