Used 2001 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M) Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Jetta for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Great commuter car

Phlonet, 01/27/2004
GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

In the first year I was driving 120 miles per day and was getting between 50-55 mpg. My commute lessened considerably, and now I'm only getting mid 40s, though on longer trips its back up around 50. While the TDI doesn't have quite as much pep as a 1.8T or a V6, its still sportier than many other "economy" commuter vehicles. Takes a little bit longer to start when its below zero, but have never had it fail to start. Only one mechanical issue related the glowplugs that was misdiagnosed at first, but then fixed properly on a subsequent visit. I wholeheartedly recommend this car to anyone who has to drive any sort of distance.

Never, ever again!

Bass_Baller, 08/30/2016
GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

What haven't I replaced in this lemon, besides the frame and the engine? Hmmmm.... let me think... Not the manual transmission, clutch, A/C condenser, power steering drive, fuel injector pump... nope, all of those, I had to replace. Power windows and power locks-- the ones without broken switches-- are unreliable. Cheap plastic knob for mirror control broke off with no effort. Trunk latch even broke. And, of course, it leaks. And then there's the melted crayon smell of the interior (dashboard, mostly)-- which, if you happen to brush against, will smudge and ruin your clothes. Fun to drive, but do yourself a favor and lease it instead of buy it.

WARNING!! DON'T BUY THIS CAR!!!!

italialife, 10/17/2016
GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

WOW, what a piece of garbage. I read the reviews before buying this piece of trash, but I thought, "eh, let me see for myself.." I'm an idiot for doing this. What haven't I replaced in this lemon, besides the frame and the engine? I bought the car for $3k with rusty fenders & a rusty chipped hood. Replaced both fenders & hood. It had some small dings, but no rust after that. I replaced the battery $210 ! I replaced the starter, coolant expansion tank, & a few other parts. I had invested a total of $1,728. I almost immediately put it back up for sale because is was beyond annoying to keep fixing little things. My wife hated when I chose to drive it over our other cars....The interior smell is atrocious, it smelled like a melted crayon constantly-- plus the interior is beyond cheaply constructed, which, if you happen to brush against, will smudge and ruin your clothes. The interior plastics were seriously made out to the strength of styrofoam cups. Though, peppy & fun to drive, do yourself a favor DON'T BUY THIS CAR! I finally sold this car yesterday for $5k after trying for over 4 months! Making a $272 profit! I can't believe I didn't loose my [non-permissible content removed] on this car. After counting the cash, and after the kid left, my wife and I were literally dancing!

I also love my car and hate the dealer

Heidi, 09/22/2008
GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This was the first car I purchased on my own. I did the research and I felt strong negotiating with the dealer. I have been loyal to the dealer, until I found another mechanic who offered a second opinion on a pricey repair. He taught me about how I was getting ripped off. The new mechanic educated me, showing me the parts and how they worked. He treated me like I actually had a brain. The dealer always presents problems - every time I went in for routine maintenance - as if it always was urgent and threatened my safety. I have stopped going to the dealer. Had I been treated as if I had a brain I might still be going there.

Great Car!

TDILOVER, 06/12/2003
GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This car has not been in the shop for anything except for the regular maintenance intervals. I bought the car because I drive about 50,000 miles per year and wanted the good gas mileage/longevity that a diesel provides.