Used 2004 Volkswagen GTI Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used GTI for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons
4.75 out of 5 stars

Tall people's little car

veedubbahjoo, 05/03/2006
1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I sat in a GTI as a joke while waiting for a sales rep to get back to me. I then test drove it since at 6 ft 8 I didn't fit in the other cars I wanted to test drive. It's roomy for me. It is way fast for its size. It does 0 to 60 in 6.5 secs. All of its amenties are convenient. It is very easy to park. The GTI is well designed and communication with the road is excellent.

5 out of 5 stars

Turbo Commuter

driver, 04/05/2007
1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

What a fun little car? Great Styling. Turbo lets me squirt through traffic with ease. Great utility. Comfortable on long trips. Haul around stuff when you need to by folding rear seat. Spent two weeks on the road out west camping with this car with mountain bikes on the roof. Still plenty of power and extremely supportive seats. Mazda 3 owner stopped me in the badlands. She was from chicago. she asked me how I liked the v-dub. I told her it's the most awesome car. She said her car was killing her. She was turning it in as soon as she got back to chicago. Go for the leather, 17's and monsoon, you won't be dissappointed unless you're not really looking for hot hatch.

4 out of 5 stars

Not Bad For a Box Car

Here for the Runnin', 06/28/2007
1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

First, this car is a great travel car, the gas mileage is amazing! Performance and handling is great as long as you learn to get past the turbo lag (thank goodness for the 5-speed manual!). Interior could use some work. Plastic started popping apart at the 2 year mark and the seat does not accommodate heavier people which makes it uncomfortable to drive! It is not too bad with one child the way the front seats flip up and plenty of interior room! You can carry almost anything in this car and get there fast and for a factory radio it is great! I am not a big fan of box shaped cars but this one I have to say (since my hubby loved it) is not bad for a box car!

4.5 out of 5 stars

My Little Pocket Rocket

Jason, 09/07/2007
1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My GTI was already lowered and had larger wheels and other suspension components installed by the previous owner so the ride is bit stiff, but it corners and jumps up from a stop like a champ! I'm totally sold on German engineering. I came from a Mustang background and while this car can't touch a Mustang in a straight line, when it comes to the full sense of drivability and fit and finish, the Mustang with all its plastic pieces and jittery noises can't compete with the GTI. I won't even mention my gas mileage improvement... that goes without saying. An all around great little car and an absolute pleasure to own.

4.63 out of 5 stars

fast and ugly

fubar, 04/07/2008
1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This has got to be the ugliest car I have ever owned!! However, this little car will pass almost anything on the road. I picked up the car with 7k miles (it now has 60k) and have had no problems, even after having the computer, exhaust and intake re-worked for more power. It loves to be punished! Loads of interior room is a bonus for such a small car. This is my first vw and I must say I'm impressed. Fuel economy is great if you keep your foot out of the turbo, but what fun is that?