Used 2004 Volkswagen Golf Diesel Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Golf for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

A fantastic economical car

dretal, 01/12/2008

I used my golf diesel to tow trailers and all I need to setup and race motorcycles throughout Canada. I never had any problems, and the diesel engine had no problems towing the loaded car and trailer at 130 KM/hr. We love the car. In winter, we park it inside our heated (10°C) garage, avoiding any cold-weather startup issues, but when it does sleep outside, I've never had problems starting it.

Very happy

Caleb, 07/11/2005

This has been the best car i have owned. all the performance i need and the comfort. fuel mileage has been unbeleivable. i drove from vancouver bc to calgary alberta on one tank of fuel.

GOLF TDI!

HotSauce, 02/22/2007

I've had my Golf GLS TDI for three years now and I love it. The diesel engine runs great. I use biodiesel for fuel and average 38-42 miles/gal. The turbo provides quick pick up. The manual transmission is fun to drive. It has enough trunk space for storage. It is the perfect car for day to day commuting and to able to fit into tight parking spaces. As with many VW diesel cars the engines will last forever, but the small electrical components are not reliable.

Awesome Car

PO2 Richard W., 11/23/2017
GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

So my review for my 2004 Golf TDI is based off my owning it for the last two months. I had to take a step back in time to answer the survey to base it off of it being 13 years old and not quite as tech'y or up to date on interior design as of today. But overall this is one fine auto, I average 37 MPG on B5 Bio or regular Diesel. the body is of sleek design and looks great. I would expect a diesel to be more torquey but it seems to be lacking in that department. The power band is set to that of a 1990's coupe(CIVIC 5 speed 92hp great power for the time but not very good now a days). The interior for the GLS is more of what I would consider at base model interior. I have put around 6000 miles on the vehicle since purchasing it as I drive 92 miles a day to and from work. I have yet to have any major issues in that time I have not done an oil change yet but will be doing one very soon. The seat heater is a blessing to have with Seattle weather. I recommend this vehicle to everyone. If you find one in good condition that has decent milage scoop it up even if it has a turbo issue I've seen them on amazon for $350.

Try it, you'll like it

USPSORUM, 05/21/2004

My friends told me I was crazy to buy a diesel. They were crazy not too. It's a tight, quiet car, very quick and fun to drive. Plus, it always gets over 40 mpg. Not for big families but can carry 5 adults if you have to. Went on a 2000 mile driving trip with 4 adults--we were fine. Great in the snow.

The best car I have ever owned

dennycreekls, 12/12/2010

My Golf 2.0 (2004) Automatic 2 Dr. Hatchback is the best little car I have every owned. I bought the car with only 3000 miles on it--it now has 36,000 and still purrs. It rides clean and very quiet--the interior is pretty--the exterior sporty. NOTHING HAS EVER GONE WRONG WITH MY LITTLE BABY GOLF. I put the gas mileage at around 38 MPG/on HWY-little less in city (I don't do city though) The only item that needed to be replaced from 3000-36,000 miles was my battery because I drive the car from the Pacific Northwest to Arizona at least 3-4 times a year. In AZ the battery gets sucked dry fast in the heat and humidity. Only other car that compares to the Golf was my Honda Odyssey.

Surprisingly Sporty, Economical & Fun

jddaigle, 09/06/2004

I got this Golf to replace a 2001 Jetta with the 1.8 liter turbo engine. I wanted to reduce my fuel usage & try using biodiesel fuel. I loved the Jetta and love the Golf. The design of the interior is near-perfect, with everything where it should be. The performance of the high-torque diesel engine is excellent--I can easily keep up with (or pass) traffic and merge & pass on the highway without downshifting. The seats are very comfortable and supportive and even in base trim offer many ways to adjust your driving position. Handling is tight but not quite sports car tight (I may upgrade my suspension in the future). Road noise is very well controlled.

excellent car

Ronny VT, 09/06/2004

Actually, we bought the car in 2000... we live in Europe, and diesel is the most common fuel here... It must be said that Volkswagen was a pioneer in the direct injected diesel engine... and you feel this when you drive a VW diesel... They perform like a petrol engine, are quiet, but they have a better fuel economy... It's a great car to drive... If you are looking for a nice reliable car, for a fair price... this Golf is your best buy

Can't go wrong with a TDI golf

Ears, 09/07/2004

I bought a golf TDI and it has been the best car I have ever owned. The car gets around 50 miles per gallon running on diesel fuel which in some cases is considerable cheaper than gasoline. The car's interior is beutifully designed and very used friendly. The stock sound system is incredible. The only downfall is the performance. The car stock doesn't have all the much power, but for a diesel it does out-do many of its competitors in the performance category. But hey if u want speed go buy a corvette, if you want reliable efficiency buy a golf TDI, you won't regret it.

Get Up and Gone

ihctrux, 10/12/2004

I bought the 3 door hatchback Golf TDI and have been getting over 51 mpg average in highway driving. That's with the air conditionner running and at speeds of about 72 mph average. This car develops top torque at 1900 rpm and so is fast off the line and extremely economical to drive. It meets my standards for economical yet competent top end driving as it gets more than one-half its horsepower rating (93) in miles per gallon and will quite easily go faster than 1x that same horsepower rating. Most cars can't come close to meeting this horsepower-based driving standard and with most drivers driven by high horsepower ratings alone, they likely never will! Bravissimo for the Golf TDI!

Solid Buy

BlueVW, 12/26/2004

I've had my VW Golf TDI (AT) for over 6 months. It's been everything I hoped for - reliable, fuel efficient, and really fun to drive. I live in Annapols, MD. This car is perfect for city living and highway driving. Small enough to scoot around small historic city streets (nimble handling). Plenty of power (great torque) for highway driving. The hatchback provides nice utility. This Golf is by far the best car I've ever owned (I've had a Toyota Celica, Honda Civic, Pontiac Sunbird, Mazda B2000, VW Passat 1.8T, Dodge Durango, and a Jeep Wrangler). I'm going to drive this car for many many years.

Everything I Hoped It Would Be

VWinMD, 09/04/2005

I've had this car for just over a year. It's been a great ride. Frankly, it's been perfect. The size is perfect for city driving. The power and ride are excellent on the highway. The build quality rivals the fit and finish of much more expensive cars. The seats are very comfortable. The sound system is excellent. The rear seats and hatchback make this car very practical. As for fuel mileage, I'm happy. Having an AT diminishes the mpg (I'm getting as low as 33 and as much as 38), but it's still better than most. The turbo deisel runs smooth, quiet, and has lots of torque. If your looking at buying a small car, you can't go wrong with this one.

DO NOT BUY, VW - very streeful

VwSucks, 11/13/2004

I purchased BRAND NEW 04 VW golf and within 10 miles I drove from the dealer ship , i started getting ENGINE PROBLEMS. OUT OF the last 18 DAYS since i bought the car, 15 DAYS car was in SHED. Never expected that buying a brand new car with VW is this STRESSFUL.i filed an official complaint with VW-America, they are dead slow in responding. their Customer service is comparable to the car's engine problems. New car should be problem-free atleast for the first 10 miles. VW buyers, READ as many reviews as possible before you decide on buying this crap.

2004 Volkswagen Golf GLS

boblom, 02/26/2005

This car is great fun to drive, but to get 40 mpg you must drive like grandma and not take it over 65 on the parkway with the cruise control on. Con's: gas tank marker is not indacated on the fule gage. fuel gage never reads full. So I set my trip guage and at 400 miles i place 10 gallons of fuel in it. It should have had electric defroster in windshield for cold weather package and the heated washer fluid system still froze when it was cold outside. Needs more power should have had the bigger oil burner in it like it big brother. Otherwise I'm a happy camper so far.

A great road car

John Eck, 01/17/2004

Put 17000 miles on in first 6 months in Mexico, USA and Canada. Best feature is mileage and distrance--700 miles-- between fill-ups. Good power and high speed accelleration. Also nice crisp handling. We liked it so well my wife made me buy her one--so now we have two TDI golfs.

Lots of miles

mnoeltne, 02/25/2008

I now have 122,000 miles on my 04 Golf TDI in only 3.5 years. Overall it's been a great car. Excellent fuel economy, good performance, especially in the mountains, and surprisingly reliable. I say surprising because a lot of people come down on VWs for bad reliability. I can say that has not been the case for my car. Just routine maintenance, and a couple of recalls. And even Toyota has recalls. My wife has a Toyota Corolla, but I strongly prefer to drive my VW. It has a better ride, and much more comfortable seating positions than the Toyota. Once I put another 150,000 miles or so on this one, I will probably buy another.

Best small car on the market.

kaknbbolls, 04/21/2004

Most of the utility of a mini-SUV (the part you'll utilize anyway). Three times cheaper gas bill (I've calculated it). Really intelligent standard features and options. Great looks. More fun to drive than you'd ever expect - as long as you opt for standard trans. (The automatic kills the fun!) Superior crash test results and safety features. Sweet little engine that'll make you question why all cars don't have a turbodiesel option, and never again want to buy one that doesn't.

VW Golf TDI

NNGG, 05/27/2004

This car came with all the options except leather. On a drive from Florida to Maine, it got 50 miles to the gallon. I can fit a racing bike in the back without putting the seats down. Tons of cargo room. Best value for the $.

Love our TDI Golf

xxdoty, 07/31/2004

We researched vehicles for 7 months before deciding on the Golf! Hardly any car met our critera: good fuel economy, reliable, in the low $20's, side curtain airbags (this was a biggie which most cars don't offer) and fun to drive. The Golf met all these plus we got heated seats and a sunroof thrown in! We're VERY happy with our purchase and also received a $1000 customer loyalty rebate from VW because we currently own a 2000 Jetta which we love. The VW rear hatch bike rack is great(rather than a roof mounted rack) since we do tons of mountain biking. Oh by the way, we're planning on buying the materials to make our own biodiesel fuel soon :)

A car that feels great to own and drive

SoyDiesel, 10/04/2004

The Golf TDI's high-tech, extremely fuel-efficient engine (with plenty of torque), a great array of standard trim and safety features, and the overall quality of design and build all combine to make this an excellent choice for anyone looking for a compact car that's both fun and economical to drive. With the rear seats down, there's impressive cargo space for a compact car, and even with them up it's a comfortable sedan for 4 adults. Plus, you can get all of this AND do the environment a favor by running on biodiesel fuel - either at 100% or blending with petroleum-based diesel in any ratio you choose. I wanted a 4DR hatchback with >40MPG for <$20K, and this car was the best choice!

Buy It

Maxwell the dog., 10/09/2004

I have 83000 miles on my TDI Golf - I am original owner and put all mileage on it myself. I average 46 miles per gallon - 52 if cruise is set on 72 for 3 hour+ drives! Extremely comfortable, fun to drive, reliable, - still in love with the car after 80K miles - thats a feat for me! Love the car - what else can I say.

Fun, dependable car

Seamaster, 10/09/2004

I am retired and enjoy taking road trips on back roads. The car handles very well and helps make my trips fun. This is the 6th TDI that I have had and I have had no problems with any of them. I do not even look at other models when I go to buy a new car!

Surpasses all competition

Citricacidcycle, 10/15/2004

Fun to drive, precise and accurate steering, sound and safe design (4 disc ABS brakes, stability program, airbags as fas as the eye can see) Flexible, you can haul around a ton of stuff, great mileage, more features standard than on any other vehicle (8 speaker sound system w/ radio AND cassette, cruise control, height adjustable seats, 3 full seatbelts and headrest in the back. Though only equipped with 90hp, the car is far from being a lame duck, you get away from a stoplight much easier than say a Chevy Malibu. The stiff suspension keeps it comfortable on long trips and prevents you from getting seasick over potholes.

Great Car

Gliderpilot, 10/18/2004

Ordered it from the dealer in OKC. Took 4 months to arrive. I like everything but the lack of armrests in the front seats. Anything with bucket seats should have an armrest (My wife's X-Type Jag does so why not the VW?). The oil change is no sweat, just make sure you have a Torz T-25 screwdriver. The filter is accessed from the top of the engine after you move the plastic cover over the intake manifold. Everyone should drive a diesel, I'm getting about 43 mpg combined Hwy/City. Love it

Rudolph Would be Proud

Dragofan, 12/28/2004

Diesels are notorious for being hard to start, but my Golf has been flawless in -20ºF temps. Sure, it lets you know that it's a diesel when it starts in cold weather, but it has never refused to start. The car is fun to drive for the most part and I've seen up to 52 mpg. For those looking for an economy car with a manual transmission, don't pass up a test drive of the Golf!

good car

hvy, 01/03/2005

Over 24000 in 8 months, no problems to date. Live in wisconsin, cold starting not a problem. Do recommend using fuel additive. 45-51 mpg so far. I'm 6-3, 255 and I find the car very comfortable to drive ,seats very supportive. Looking to buy 06 Passat TDI for wife next year.

16 months with my tdi golf

bill's golf, 07/12/2005

We have driven our Golf 21000 miles. We bought it in March of 2004. Our average mileage is 37 to 38 miles a gallon. On the highway we get in the low forties. The car is fun to drive. It handles beautifully on the interstate or on back roads. The engine has plenty of power. When we want at pass, we pass. We liked the seats.They have good back support. We bought the Golf because it was a diesel and because it has a hatchback. Our sixty pound dog rides there when we travel. We think we bought the right car for our purposes.

Close but No Cigar

Finch, 02/08/2007

The Gold GL TDI is fun to drive, gets great fuel mileage, and has a reasonable price. I want to keep this car forever, but the electrical system is lacks reliability. I've had two airbag sensors needed replaced, one air bag, O2 sensor, thermostat, and a fuel pump. All of which were covered under warranty, but this leaves the question of keeping the car after the warranty has expired. If I had to pay for these things it would be the worst experience I've ever had with a car used or new. I'm at 49,000 miles now and cannot decide if I should keep the car or not.

Painfully unreliable

Peter, 04/05/2008

We liked it all till we had it a week. The weather turned cold. The car had no heat, replaced the computer. Had to go back numerous times to find the problem. Still not good heat. Would not start. Ignition key assembly replaced. Glow plugs quit. Other electrical controls faulty. Car jerks and bucks. Transmission controls were replaced through a complete removal, repair, replace. Still not fixed. Very noisy rubber bushings in the rear were replaced but needs it again. Economy is about 38-40 mpg, not the 65 that was advertised. There are numerous annoying squeaks and rattles in the dash and front doors. VW dealership is trying, and the warranty is still working. Ouch!

Great Car!!

copper, 05/09/2008

Bought my tdi Golf new in 2004, and currently have 156,000kms on the odometer. The car has always been serviced as required, and only synthetic oil changes every 8000 km. The car is peppy around town, and great on the highways. I drive approx. 40,000 km per year, mostly highway, but also a good portion in city. The car is very reliable, I have never had any problems with it at all. Just had the timing belt replaced as per the schedule. Never had a problem with cold starts. Runs every time. Very reliable even with a full load, and no problems passing going uphill. Great car.

51050