Used 2015 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen Diesel Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Golf SportWagen for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

I love this car more everyday!

Taj, 09/18/2015
TDI S 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I enjoy driving. I've owed several cars, 4 VW's over 30 years, never a diesel. Last was a 2004 Jetta that I thought was the greatest. Recently I was seriously considering a 2015 Mazda3 5-door. Then I decided I had better go drive a couple VW's before buying anything. Drove a new Golf TSI and thought it was incredible. Then I drove this TDI Sportwagen. What a great car! I had never driven a TDI before. After test driving around town and on the highway, I had to have it. I opted for the TDI wagon, but I certainly would have been thrilled to drive away in any manual Golf. Didn't try any automatic transmissions. The response of the TDI feels wonderful, it's a great engine. Add MPG's and it was the obvious choice for me. I couldn't be happier with this car. UPDATE: OK, the diesel thing was announced a month after I bought this thing. I think VW is making the best cars in this range. I don't know if anything comes close to how much car I got for the money. I do t want to surrender this car, and I don't think I'll have to, but I've never owned a better car and I plan on driving this one forever (as I also know I may not be able to get another one). UPDATE 9/17: My opinions have not changed about this car. VW gave me back 1/3 of its price, so now I'm even happier about my purchase.

Great car (aside from the emissions...)

JPKANT, 10/14/2015
TDI SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Have owned the car 5 weeks and driven 2200 miles. I really like it, but certainly feel conflicted because of the VW emissions scandal. Traded in an Accord which was nice, but pretty boring. Sportwagen is fun to drive, very responsive and quiet on the road, even at high speed. Getting around 46 mpg (nearly all hwy). Excellent visibility and very easy to get in and out of. We opted for the SEL due to better seats and dual climate. I have a back issue and I would rate the seat comfort at 9 out of 10. A little more lower support would be perfect for me. The ride is firm but well tuned and is better than the Accord. The low profile tires no doubt contribute to the firm ride but the handling is great. Love the engine and DSG trans which shifts well. When you step on the gas, the car has no problem getting you up to speed. Everything remains to be seen after the emissions recall.

How does this not catch on?

tomtom123, 06/30/2015
TDI SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Bought a new fully loaded diesel sportwagen. First and foremost: This car is MUCH faster than its HP suggests. The diesel pulls effortlessly and is very quiet. The gas engine is good, but this engine is something I've never experienced before and I come from a 2015 GTI (this is our second VW). The panoramic sunroof makes it feel like your car is almost a convertible. Diesel is so fuel-efficient it is crazy. I was afraid of the UREA scrub, but its like adding windshield washer fluid - so simple. The reason I was so drawn to VW in the first place - it feels MUCH more expensive than its price tag suggests and has a soul to it. Its not boring like the cute 'ute competition.

The car we have been waiting for.

Masako Wada, 07/26/2015
TDI SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

You can read the magazine reviews they pretty much tell the story (its a winner). Our 2015 VW TDI Sport wagon is our new road trip car. The TDI engine with the DSG gearbox is a great high speed highway cruiser that gets awesome fuel economy: every tree huggers dream. Looks like VW has almost resolved diesel gate with the EPA and DOT, they have a fix, now VW has to get it approved. There maybe TDI's for sale in 2017.? Meantime we still love ours. What a car.!

no other car in its class

MST, 08/01/2015
TDI SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

This car is miles ahead of the previous Jetta wagon. I opted for the optional lighting package really gives the car a high end feel.

Great small wagon with lots of versatilty

Mark, 01/10/2019
TDI SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I bought my 2015 TDI SEL Sportwagen in California after the whole diesel debacle.. I really wanted one for a long time but I wasn't ready to part with my Outback. The minute I was ready Dieselgate exploded like a tornado. I had to wait almost year and half to buy it. I was hoping for the stick but they were impossible to get since it was stock sellout, so I eded up with my second best the DSG automatic. It has 20K miles on it now. The car feels like an upscale vehicle for the price, it has nice finish on the dash, instruments and overall styling is great. I got some discount for buying tainted TDI which didn't bother me. In the past I owned 2000 Golf basic and it was great to me! I wanted the TDI for a long time because of the fuel economy, I have driven many in Europe while on holiday and it was always great experience. The SEL has lots of fun stuff in it including, park assist, ambiance lights in the foot area and on the door trim, great stereo, back up camera, navigation, heated seats, heated mirrors etc. Car feels upscale, slick styling, Fender stereo, side fog lights turn on when making turns, lots of options to customize your car functions, good navigation even CD player. However no USB for the 2015! It has lots of cargo space, there is a false floor in the trunk and it can be lowered to provide deeper trunk it's truly huge. When I fold the back bench and the passenger seat fully I can fit 2 windsurfing boards, 2 sails, mast and all the necessary junk I bring with me to the beach. I don't bother with the roof rack even though I have one just out of convenience not to strapping things on top and the wind resistance. Also the passage in the back seat is great for skis or long things. Now the not so fun things, bucket seats look great, black leatherette provides good looks and on cool days it's fine, however a little too stiff and butt feels it after an hour of driving. I am 6.2 180lbs I have plenty of room all around. The front seat could be longer for more thigh support. European version has seat extender and lumbar massager. Go figure why they alway skimp on the US market. But in the summer the leatherette becomes hot and soft and it feels like sitting on a melting hot plastic as it is plastic and one sweats a lot. Also since it's no leather there is no sliding in and out of the seats lots of friction. Very little to no legroom in the rear. Enough about seats. Now to the serious stuff my TDI had the firs stage of the emission fixed so I never had the virgin fun driving experience. I drove the car for year and half till the second fix came in. When the car came back I felt like they castrated it, maybe it's all in my head but it feels that it has less torque and has less power on the freeway especial above 60mph acceleration not so good. I bought 2015 Jetta TSI SE for my son and it has tons of power next to my car. After the fix, gas pedal feels hollow, also gas mileage dropped. I use to get at times 51mpg on my way to work driving nicely 60-65. Now my average never goes above 43 and I can drive like a grandma, even cruising down the hills and I still can't get better than the 43mpg. I know it's still good but not what it used to be. That is my biggest complain along with the seats and low profile tires with 18inch rims which give the car super stiff and bumpy ride, those are my biggest complaints. One more thing there is a significant lag from stop to go with the turbo, also going in to reverse it has a long pause, it is seriously annoying. I still like my Wagen but it has lost some of it's allure. Possibly will look at something with more power in the future. But wagon market is almost non existent in the US. Outback is getting not so good reviews with it's CVT and it's infotainment system. There is the New Volvo V90 Cross Country, 2.0 engine @ 315HSP! I test drove it and It is seriously beautiful, sexy, capable and super expensive! At last in my world with 2 kids in private college, it starts I believe at 52K. But seriously, it has everything including the huge moon roof and also unbelievable room and seats unlike any other car! Cheers.

"Show us a more well-rounded vehicle" - C&D

Scott, 07/31/2015
TDI S 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Seeing only two consumer reviews on Edmunds at this point is kind of disappointing for how great this car really is. I have the S trim, so now there's an SEL, and SE and an S review. I wasn't willing to buy up to the SE trim at this time, but I find a lot of value in the car even at the S level. I had bought the 2015 Golf TSI SE as well earlier in the year but kept finding that with 3 kids and a dog and road travel, the extra space was needed. However, in owning the SE, things like the sunroof, Fender audio, heated seats, RSWs, etc. were all nice, but I really liked how solid and quiet the Golf was to drive. It made driving easy, and that's what opened me up to try the S trim. It's a real shame this is a niche car all because of the influence of the truck/SUV on American mind sets. There are four things I've asked myself about this car, but I still give it a 5-star rating and two thumbs up. First, why no USB port?... just weird. I mean they don't even have an iPhone 5 adapter. If no USB port, then they should send an inventory of adapters to dealers to outfit each car. Second, why no heated seats on the S trim, when even the base Jetta with cloth has them? I live in Colorado and use the heated seats from time to time. Now I'll have to pay $450 for a local shop to install them (with most of the cost in labor). Third, (and this applies to all Golfs in general) why not just put a soft plastic upper panel on the back seat passenger doors and match up the quality of everywhere else in the car? My prior JSW had that. Lastly, I've heard the reasons why they dropped the IRS from the GSW and Golf TDI to accommodate emissions, and I find it tuned okay, but it just bothers me when I think about it. Update: Great car still.

A Lot to Recommend

Dave Peterson, 08/15/2015
TDI S 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I've been driving gas and diesel VWs for 35 years, with my previous ride being a 312k mile 2002 Jetta TDI that's never had a major problem and still runs great, but time to move on. I considered a Passat, but bigger than I needed and drove like a large car, meh styling. I'd considered the now discontinued Jetta Sportwagen, but it had the lesser version of the TDI, blob styling, and just couldn't get excited. This new Golf Sportwagen snuck up on me, going from being unaware of it to in my garage in about two weeks. Even though the Golf has historically been positioned as their low end model series, in recent years it has enjoyed a rep as their performance series, with classic VW Euro handling, more sporty everything, and even higher end interiors. I really wanted a snappy handling car like my old Jetta and previous GTI, so as stated above the Golf series is the closest you can get in their line-up. This thing handles much better than a Passat, if not quite my older VWs. The S version has only 16" wheels, but my experience is that is good enough with good rubber. It jumps off the line quite strongly. Once underway it accelerates quite strongly for passing, even in top gear. It climbs a mountain pass without even downshifting. These high torque diesels are much less affected by grades or loads than gassers. The seats have been the only negative, definitely the most uncomfortable in nearly forty years of driving VWs. After about two hours my butt hurts! This obviously didn't surface during test drives. I've read similar complaints. I'd have to blame it on too firm cushioning. On long drives I lay down a little gel cushion which helps a lot. I understand the SEL version has softer seats. Another problem is the center console is the widest I've ever had, and I normally drive with my leg flopped to the right, and it presses into the console edge, which is uncomfortable on long drives. I'm trying to adjust my seating habits a bit. Also, getting in and out isn't as smooth as previous models, and it seems the door frame is a little further forward relative to the seat, the roof line at the door being a bit lower despite plenty of headroom, and there is a pronounced hump on the underside of the steering column. All in all, I need to scrunch up a bit to get in and out cleanly, but once in the car fits like a glove. The backup camera comes on instantly, unlike previous model years which had a lengthy delay. The entertainment system in older models is slow to respond to anything, and this year they’ve totally fixed all that with a new system. People have complemented my interior and VW has made improvements in most of their models interiors after taking heat in recent years. This Golf looks quite high end. With multiple extremely high mileage VWs in my family, not one has ever had a crack, tear, or any other failure of cloth, velour, or vinyl seating, and from the looks of it I expect the trend to continue. The exterior lines and styling make the best of the wagon body style. If it’s possible to get excited about a wagon, this car is it. It actually looks a bit sporty. The doors and trunk shut like safe doors as in previous VWs, a solidness competing Asian cars don't have. Everything about the construction of the car exudes quality. This one was Mexican made, but so were my last two VWs with over 600k miles between them with no major repairs or even body noises or rattles. The stereo is a pleasant surprise, not as good as the awesome one in my 02, but solid. It sounds like it needs more amp and better tweeters, with some distortion at moderately high levels that doesn’t sound like a speaker problem. I understand that the difference between this and the Fender system in the SEL is an amp and subwoofer. These speakers put out deep, solid bass at medium volume, but the amp runs out quickly. The whole electronics package is a big improvement over previous years, and I really like it. I wish they put in real USB, a common gripe, and the connector you plug their adapter cord into is recessed, and the cord has a stiff right angle connection that is tough to insert (don’t think of doing it while driving), and then only a foot long, which doesn’t give me much flexibility with my iPod. Luckily, once it synchs with the car you can do everything through the stereo that you can on the iPod, and easier. Adapters for other devices are available on eBay for $13 – don’t pay VW’s crazy prices. Every gas or diesel VW I’ve owned has beaten its EPA highway mileage in everyday driving. Tons of people have reported upper forties and fifties in the larger Passat automatic, so this in entirely believable. VW has always been conservative in their ratings. I've consistently run 46-47mpg despite most of its mileage being 75mph. So, this doesn’t have quite the light tossability of my old VWs, but is a car that you can do some serious driving in.

Best model VW ever built - Sportswagen TDI SEL

Max, 03/04/2019
TDI SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I owned two of those, first one was TDI SE trim which I returned to VW under buyback. Then I went and bought TDI SEL trim and I love it. The seats are way more comfortable then the SE trim. Love this car, still getting around 45mpg on hwy 35 in the city. Performance is great after recall. This is the best car for long tips, sips fuel and performance is amazing from DSG transmission. Also, maintenance is great, 10k oil changes for $59 at my dealer (vs $300 for diesel bmw!). I put 50K on my first one with 1 issue (battery swapped) and I hope my second one will be just as reliable.

VW Sportswagen is Best Car Ever!

Tuni King, 11/04/2017
TDI SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I sold my 2010 Jetta Sportswagen S model TDI back to VW under the Diesel Emissions settlement and promptly found a modified 2015 VW Golf Sportswagen SEL model TDI (same car) to replace it. I loved the 2010 reliability, power [torque], cargo capacity, mileage and comfort. Just wanted a newer version of same car. I'm 5'7" 140lbs so car fits me like a glove. Cargo capacity at 67.5 cubic feet is fantastic. I carry a drum set all over Texas with room to spare. I had 2 sets in the car on one trip! Never had a single issue with the 2010 model. OK, the hands free phone integration with the entertainment system was inconsistent. That's the only issue I had with the 2010. For a diesel, acceleration was fine. Of course, I'm not into muscle cars; just the opposite, mileage. And diesel cannot be beat by gasoline. I know VW stupidly tried to embellish emission specs. But I routinely saw other cars belching out more noxious black smoke than my VW diesel ever did. In fact, I never saw any fumes from my VW. Now I have a "repaired" 2015 so that emission issue is closed. The 2015s use AdBlue additive liquid to cleanse diesel emissions like BMW or Mercedes. Overall, I'd say the VW Sportswagen is the best car I've ever owned. That's why I bought 2 in a row!

Great little wagon

Sally, 08/18/2016
TDI S 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I bought my Sportwagen diesel 3 weeks before they announced the diesel scam. I got an incredible deal on both my trade in and the new car. I soon found out why. But! This is a great car. Lots of room for kids and dogs. It handles beautifully on the road. Turning is very smooth, unlike anything I've ever felt. Mileage on diesel fuel is outstanding. I average 40 mpg in the city. On the highway however, I get about 50 mpg. My fuel costs have dropped dramatically. I have and paid for "pulse" on the third brake which routinely shows up as broken on my info screen, now I just ignore it. I love this car, it's easy to get in and out of and completely fills my need for a vehicle. I have tossed around the idea of the buyback, but I love this car so much, I can't find anything else I want. I consider myself very luck to have the diesel. Winter in Wisconsin has proven to be no issue for the Diesel engine with the right fuel. So I'm 100% happy with this little wagon! 2/18/18 - After learning more about the diesel scandal - which was 100% intentional, I sold my car back to volkswagen and bought a different car. I will never have a VW again.

2015 VW Golf SportWagen Diesel 2.0 SE

Pat, 02/20/2019
TDI SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I compared prices online. Also made sure the dealer performed all safety checks and maintenance to the car. I verified the tires were in good condition, oil and other fluids had been changed, battery was still in good condition, brakes were good and ensured all emission updates met current requirements as some of these Diesel cars might have been sitting outside for years before being picked up by a dealer. FI also found out from the dealer what they had to do to the vehicle before selling it. I am sure I missed other maintenances that needs to be looked at but this hopefully gives some information on what to look for. I did not purchase from a private party how to verify all the emission updates have been performed.

Best VW I've owned.

MD Brabo, 11/16/2018
TDI SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I've owned 6 VW through the years and this TDI Sportwagen is the BEST vehicle.

Best vehicle I've ever owned

H. Gregory, 08/08/2018
TDI SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Other than the emissions cheating it did everything I wanted (44 + mpg) and it wanted to race every where. All I had to do was step on the fuel pedal and it was outta here in a flash. It was very responsive in every way. Lots of room and just fun to drive. Stereo system was very good - just shy of terrific. I'm looking for a 2015 VW TDI Sportwagen now in really good shape.

flashing glow plug ay 11K miles w/ bad fuel inject

Lucci, 06/22/2018
TDI SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Love the car but reliability of German brands is slipping. I have owned many cars over my lifetime and have never had engine problem in first year of ownership of brand new car! Only bought this car because previous car a 2013 TDI Jetta sportwagon was cheating on emissions and dealer lied about it having a blue oil additive. Transmission is very aggressive in upshifting into higher gear to get favorable MPG so frequently need to downshift with paddle shifter to have enough torque to pass. So flashing glow plug light on dash board turned out to be a bad fuel injector at 11K miles, which has never gone bad on any other car I've previously had and I usually drive my cars until they die, usually somewhere betw. 20 years to 200,000 miles. Good thing I bought the extended warranty. In Germany, people are very patriotic and will tolerate inferior german cars with all kinds of electrical and mechanical issues. Plus if their car is not working, its almost easier to take train, bike ride etc. Makes me doubt the reliability and longevity of car. I was lucky to be able to make it to dealer bec with only 3 cylinders working, power and acceleration was significantly reduced and barely able to get up to 55-60 miles per hour on highway. Also other brands have 10yr/100,000 mile warranty. Next time will try one of those brands.

Best car ever!

Chris H, 04/27/2019
TDI SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Best value,fuel mileage, interior, sound system aground perfect family car. Can’t wait for the weekend to drive to a new location.

51050