2017 Volkswagen Golf GTI Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 33 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Volkswagen Golf GTI Hatchback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf GTI model:

The Perfect All-Around Vehicle
By GTIDriver

2017 Volkswagen Golf GTI Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I was looking for a daily driver, so I needed a car that checked a lot of boxes: comfortable, versatile, strong value, great fuel economy. And yet as a car enthusiast I wanted something with a little personality and character as well. The GTI has delivered in spades. Given the above requirements I chose the GTI S in the four-door version with the automatic transmission. I'm having a hard time imagining how I can possibly list all of the great things about the car and the tremendous value it represents. Visibility, ride, comfort, and quality of interior materials are all excellent - you never feel like you're in an economy (cheap) car. As opposed to the fastest or best-handling hot hatch, Volkswagen decided to create a great all-rounder, which is actually one of the things I most appreciate about the car - it doesn't beat you up over rough roads, or seem to always want to rev, which, while fun, can get annoying if you're just trying to get from point A to point B (I have other more performance-oriented cars for high-performance driving). I consistently see 28 mpg in town and 37 mpg on the highway. The only faults to note are that the transmission can hunt around a bit between shifts at low speeds, and the CarPlay system (which, overall, I love) sometimes isn’t smooth when opening or closing apps or when using iTunes – occasionally I have to turn on the CD player first for the volume to work, though may be because my iPhone is getting an older model. the different driving modes actually create a noticeable difference in the overall character of the car, the steering tightening and ride getting firmer in performance mode, which is a lot of fun. I decided to purchase the car new for the warranty, as past GTIs have arguably had some issues, and I wanted to know it was maintained correctly from the get-go So far, I haven't had any problems at all. I also skipped the sunroof as I heard they leak and are complicated to repair. In all, the GTI - a sedan, a station wagon, a sports car, and an economy car, all in one - is even better than I'd hoped it would be. I couldn't be happier with it.

Check Engine Vehicle
By Diego Gonzalez

2017 Volkswagen Golf GTI Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I love VW , i buy 2017 GTI and i visit more than 4 time dealer service center , every week GTI has check engine motor light on with misfire with just 16k miles . I hate that , the dealer service are poor too.

So much joy from such a little car!
By Michael Labadie

2017 Volkswagen Golf GTI Hatchback Autobahn 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I purchased my 2016 GTI Autobahn used with around 20k miles and drove it from Albuquerque, NM to Traverse City, MI in a little over 26 hours. Needless to say I had a chance to bond with it over nearly every road condition you can imagine. With almost every option minus the lane / cruise assist and DCC, the car is extremely comfortable with a well laid out interior. I have minor gripes with the cruise and window buttons (I really liked the previous Mk6 stalk mounted cruise which you didn't have to look away from the road to adjust and window buttons on the upper slant of the door handle where your fingers can easily find them), but overall everything is where you expect it to be. The quiet, well insulated cabin helps make the most of its ample Fender (Panasonic) sound system. With just over a year and 20k additional miles I can honestly say the GTI is about the best all around car I've ever owned. I just nails it's main objective of being a fun to drive hot-hatch really well, while doing everything else with the effortless grace of a car well above it's price range. Even during a brutal stretch of northern Michigan winter, it was still a blast to drive. Whether hauling ass around a bend or bikes to my favorite trail the GTI is eager to please. The only changes I've made have been slightly wider Michelin P4S on wider rims for summer and narrow rims with tall Michelin Ice-X's for the cold which I highly recommend. Having dedicated summer and winter tires expands the cars envelope exponentially.

A Brilliant, Sport Hatch
By John

2017 Volkswagen Golf GTI Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The GTI Sport, 6 speed manual, is extremely docile yet responsive in city traffic and a beast on the back roads. Rarely have I driven a car on a daily basis that is as sorted out as this one. I have plenty of space for four adult passengers, great visibility, room for all my stuff, a delightful engine and transmission, strong brakes and solid, timeless styling. I could put down the rear seat, crawl into the back and curl up to sleep through night if I needed to. It is a solid vehicle that drives way above it's class. It's a breeze to park, reliable, and I will say it again, quick in real world conditions. The OEM tires leave something to be desired and I look forward to replacing them in due time for a set that is more tactile. VWs depreciate faster than Toyota and Honda. The only way to offset this is to drive the car for many years---which I plan to do because I do not see anything else on the market or coming to the market at its price range that comes close to the current GTI.

The Great Compromise
By Mike M.

2017 Volkswagen Golf GTI Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I'm a hot hatch aficionado. Over the years I've owned several, and when the time came to get out of the family hauler I knew I wanted another. I drove everything: Focus ST, Fiesta ST, Focus RS, Civic SI, Civic Type R, WRX, even hot-ish hatches like the new Cruze and Mazda3. For every criteria that I decided a particular car missed, the GTI landed it square in the middle. It's not as engaging as the Fords, or as sharp as the Honda, or as burly as the Subaru, but it's ALMOST as good, and by being so versatile and generally GOOD while not falling on its face in any one area it wins. I haven't had it long enough to comment on reliability, but CR is indicating the 2017 is Above Average, whereas the 2015 and 2016 models were merely average. Fuel economy is fine, averaging 25 MPG in mostly city driving. And the bottom line is I get excited every time I know I'm about to drive somewhere, even if it's just to slog it out in traffic. At some point I'll have the opportunity to let it its thing. I'll say the trick VAQ differential is a game changer - this car handles like no other FWD car I've ever driven. The DSG is also a bit of a revelation. I'm a manual guy, but my wife isn't comfortable driving one, so the DSG is again a great compromise. The kids' booster seats are also easy peasy, and there's still plenty of space for (minor) Costco runs. Just a great car. Full disclosure, I got my 2017 as the '18 cars were coming out, meaning I got crazy incentives - about $8,000 off sticker. I'd have a hard time paying the $33k they wanted, but it's a steal at $25k. Would buy again.