2018 Volkswagen Atlas Review
Which Atlas does Edmunds recommend?
Edmunds' Expert Review
- Spacious interior offers ample room for passenger in all three rows
- Great compromise between precise handling and everyday comfort
- Straightforward cabin design makes everything easy to use
- Not very quick to accelerate, even with the optional V6
- Fuel economy lags that of some competitors
- All-new model
- Replaces the Touareg as VW's three-row SUV
- Part of the first Atlas generation introduced for 2018
Overall rating7.8 / 10
Designed and built in America to suit American tastes, the 2018 Volkswagen Atlas is the three-row crossover SUV Volkswagen has desperately needed for quite some time. The Touareg SUV that has been around for a while doesn't offer third-row seating, and it's not as competitive on price. The Atlas not only competes well with its rivals in terms of value, it has the kind of passenger space American families typically shop for in a family-hauling crossover.
Like other Volkswagens, the Atlas features an interior design that's both simple and sophisticated. Base Atlas models have easy-to-read gauges, intuitive controls and above-average quality materials. The top-end SEL and SEL Premium offer plenty of technology features as well, but their inclusion never makes the cabin seem overly complicated.
Our only real concern at this point is performance on the open highway. Even with the optional V6, the Atlas doesn't feel particularly powerful. The standard 2.0-liter four-cylinder is going to feel even more taxed, especially under a full load of kids and cargo. To its credit, the Atlas has a very refined ride quality and a quiet cabin, so if the engine has enough guts for your tastes, you're not likely to find issue elsewhere.
Notably, we picked the 2018 Atlas as one of Edmunds' Best Midsize SUVs for 2018.
What's it like to live with?
Want to know even more about the Atlas? Edmunds added a 2018 Volkswagen Atlas SE to our long-term road test fleet. Our editors spent a year driving Volkswagen's biggest SUV, racking up more than 20,000 miles. Check out our VW Atlas long-term test coverage to read more about what we learned, from real-world fuel economy to reliability.
2018 Volkswagen Atlas models
The Atlas is offered in five trim levels — S, SE, SE w/technology, SEL and SEL Premium. The first four trim levels can be paired with either the base four-cylinder engine (235 horsepower, 258 pound-feet of torque) or the optional V6 engine (276 hp, 258 lb-ft). The SEL Premium comes with the V6 engine as standard. Front-wheel drive is standard, and V6 models can also be ordered with all-wheel drive (standard on the SEL Premium). For all Atlas versions, an eight-speed automatic transmission is standard.
Base Atlas S models have cloth seating, a bench seat in the second row, LED headlights and dual-zone manual climate control along with typical features such as power mirrors, a rearview camera and cruise control. There's also a standard 6.5-inch touchscreen interface that offers Apple CarPlay, Android Auto and Bluetooth connectivity. A limited run of Atlas S Launch Edition models will be offered with the V6 engine only and the addition of a panoramic sunroof, HomeLink programmable garage door opener and an upgraded 8-inch touchscreen with satellite radio.
Upgrading to the SE adds simulated leather upholstery, push-button start, automatic headlights, a power driver seat, heated front seats, rear sunshades, a blind-spot monitoring system, a larger 8-inch touchscreen interface and the option of captain's chairs in the second row. The SE w/technology builds on the SE's equipment list with the addition of remote engine start, automatic three-zone climate control, a power rear liftgate, adaptive cruise control, lane keeping assist and automatic emergency braking.
Moving up to the SEL adds a panoramic sunroof, power-adjustable front passenger seats, park distance control and two available options: black 20-inch wheels and the R-Line appearance package. The top-of-the-line SEL Premium adds several exclusive features. The most notable among them is the Volkswagen Digital Cockpit, a display that replaces the standard gauge cluster with a video screen that can be reconfigured to show a wide variety of information beyond basic speed, fuel and temperature readings. All SEL Premium models also get LED taillights, full leather seating, an upgraded touchscreen display with navigation, and a parking assist system. The same 20-inch black wheels offered on the SEL are also optional on the SEL Premium, but the R-Line package is not.
|Overall||7.8 / 10|
Noise & vibration7.5
Ease of use7.5
Getting in/getting out8.0
Child safety seat accommodation7.5
Audio & navigation8.5
Most helpful consumer reviews
Features & Specs
Our experts like the Atlas models:
- Blind-Spot Warning System
- Alerts you with visual and audible warnings if other vehicles are in your blind spot.
- Post-Collision Braking System
- Applies the brakes once the airbags go off to reduce the possibility of further damage during an accident.
- Lane Keeping Assist
- Sounds an alert when you drift from your lane due to inattention and can automatically steer to help out.
NHTSA Overall Rating5 out of 5 stars
- Frontal Barrier Crash RatingOverall5 / 5Driver4 / 5Passenger5 / 5
- Side Crash RatingOverall5 / 5
- Side Barrier RatingOverall5 / 5Driver5 / 5Passenger5 / 5
- Combined Side Barrier & Pole RatingsFront Seat5 / 5Back Seat5 / 5
- RolloverRollover4 / 5Dynamic Test ResultNo TipRisk Of Rollover15.9%
- Side Impact TestGood
- Roof Strength TestGood
- Rear Crash Protection / Head RestraintGood
- IIHS Small Overlap Front TestNot Tested
- Moderate Overlap Front TestGood
Used 2018 Volkswagen Atlas Overview
The Used 2018 Volkswagen Atlas is offered in the following submodels: Atlas SUV. Available styles include V6 SE w/Technology 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A), V6 SEL Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A), V6 SEL 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A), V6 SE w/Technology 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 8A), V6 SE 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A), V6 SEL 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 8A), V6 SE 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 8A), S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A), SE w/Technology 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A), SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A), V6 S 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A), V6 S 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 8A), SEL 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A), V6 Launch Edition 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A), and V6 Launch Edition 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 8A). Pre-owned Volkswagen Atlas models are available with a 3.6 L-liter gas engine, with output up to 276 hp, depending on engine type. The Used 2018 Volkswagen Atlas comes with all wheel drive. Available transmissions include: 8-speed shiftable automatic. The Used 2018 Volkswagen Atlas comes with a 6 yr./ 72000 mi. basic warranty, a 3 yr./ 36000 mi. roadside warranty, and a 6 yr./ 72000 mi. powertrain warranty.
What's a good price on a Used 2018 Volkswagen Atlas?
Price comparisons for Used 2018 Volkswagen Atlas trim styles:
- The Used 2018 Volkswagen Atlas V6 SE w/Technology is priced between $28,590 and$36,990 with odometer readings between 16968 and79720 miles.
- The Used 2018 Volkswagen Atlas V6 SEL is priced between $27,230 and$39,998 with odometer readings between 19359 and97038 miles.
- The Used 2018 Volkswagen Atlas V6 SEL Premium is priced between $34,994 and$43,998 with odometer readings between 14144 and79312 miles.
- The Used 2018 Volkswagen Atlas V6 SE is priced between $25,999 and$36,499 with odometer readings between 10781 and86845 miles.
- The Used 2018 Volkswagen Atlas SE is priced between $28,990 and$32,999 with odometer readings between 17512 and56294 miles.
- The Used 2018 Volkswagen Atlas SE w/Technology is priced between $29,590 and$33,998 with odometer readings between 27815 and51948 miles.
- The Used 2018 Volkswagen Atlas V6 S is priced between $27,990 and$29,998 with odometer readings between 29066 and44722 miles.
- The Used 2018 Volkswagen Atlas S is priced between $27,990 and$28,990 with odometer readings between 26639 and27407 miles.
- The Used 2018 Volkswagen Atlas V6 Launch Edition is priced between $31,998 and$34,785 with odometer readings between 3367 and39727 miles.
Shop with Edmunds for perks and special offers on used cars, trucks, and SUVs near Ashburn, VA. Doing so could save you hundreds or thousands of dollars. Edmunds also provides consumer-driven dealership sales and service reviews to help you make informed decisions about what cars to buy and where to buy them.
Which used 2018 Volkswagen Atlases are available in my area?
Shop Edmunds' car, SUV, and truck listings of over 6 million vehicles to find a cheap new, used, or certified pre-owned (CPO) 2018 Volkswagen Atlas for sale near. There are currently 106 used and CPO 2018 Atlases listed for sale in your area, with list prices as low as $25,999 and mileage as low as 3367 miles. Simply research the type of car you're interested in and then select a used car from our massive database to find cheap prew-owned vehicles for sale near you. Once you have identified a used vehicle you're interested in, check the AutoCheck vehicle history reports, read dealer reviews, and find out what other owners paid for the Used 2018 Volkswagen Atlas.
Can't find a used 2018 Volkswagen Atlass you want in your area? Consider a broader search.
Find a used Volkswagen Atlas for sale - 5 great deals out of 21 listings starting at $14,069.
Find a used Volkswagen for sale - 10 great deals out of 13 listings starting at $8,573.
Find a used certified pre-owned Volkswagen Atlas for sale - 1 great deals out of 10 listings starting at $15,744.
Find a used certified pre-owned Volkswagen for sale - 12 great deals out of 19 listings starting at $17,435.
Should I lease or buy a 2018 Volkswagen Atlas?
Is it better to lease or buy a car? Ask most people and they'll probably tell you that car buying is the way to go. And from a financial perspective, it's true, provided you're willing to make higher monthly payments, pay off the loan in full and keep the car for a few years. Leasing, on the other hand, can be a less expensive option on a month-to-month basis. It's also good if you're someone who likes to drive a new car every three years or so.