2018 Volkswagen Atlas Consumer Reviews - 70 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Volkswagen Atlas Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Atlas model:

Safety feature
By MEH

2018 Volkswagen Atlas V6 S 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I have had my volkswagon atlas for 8 months. With it being a family, vehicle I don’t like how the car can be shut off driving down the road with the inconvenient placement of the push start button in the open. Also with the business of life, the sound to shut the engine off and the sound to put your vehicle in park are the same. Sometimes your mom brain just wants to stop the noise and before you know t your car is rolling forward quietly. Poor safety feature.

Great Car
By WG

2018 Volkswagen Atlas V6 SEL Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Not a $30,000 car if you want many options - more like $50,000 but well worth it compared to Audi Q7, Volvo XC90 or BMW X5 with very similar options but less space than the Atlas. With the exception of some wind noise at higher speeds it is a smooth ride and handles well for an SUV of that size. The V6 engine with the 8-speed automatic provides good acceleration (not a sports car) but consumes a little more than it should. Overall an excellent car!

Chose the Atlas over all other 3 row SUV's
By JIN

2018 Volkswagen Atlas V6 SE w/Technology 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I chose the Atlas over all the other 3 row SUV's I tested because, on an all around basis, it was the best choice at a great price... I selected the SE V6 FWD W/Tech since it had all the features I wanted at a price I could afford... I live where there is very little snow, if at all, so the FWD version was best for me... I didn't want a sunroof, I have a convertible for those fun in the sun days, no need for AWD or towing, but wanted all the necessary safety and tech features, such as adaptive cruise control, lane assist, blind spot monitoring, remote start, etc... You get all these with the Tech package at very little extra cost... However, if you want a sunroof, towing package, and, all the tech goodies, you should look for the SEL model, which is only 2K more for all those extras... In most of the competitors models, especially the GM Traverse, Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia, you have to buy the top of the line models to get all the safety and other tech goodies you get with the Atlas w/Tech package or the SEL... Also, the GM models do not offer Apple Car Play or Android Auto... With those two connections, you really don't need the high priced and glitch prone NAV systems that cost way too much for what you get... I use the Android Auto App on my phone projected to the Atlas infotainment screen and it works great both visually and audibly through the infotainment system... The infotainment system with 8" screen in the Atlas is very intuitive and easy to use... Plus, it still has knobs and buttons for the AC, and, Audio systems so you can use them instead of having to do everything through a touch screen, where they are also available... With the Honda Pilot, all system controls are through the touchscreen and is a real pain in the A**... Yes, the Atlas has the hated stop/start, but it is easily cancelled by pressing a button on the dash to turn it off when you, which can't be done in some of it's competitors... This is one great new SUV... It's huge inside, the second and third rows have an enormous amount of room, cargo space with the third row up or down is terrific and with both rows down, it is absolutely huge... The ride is taught, but not too taught, and, it drives like a much smaller vehicle... The 8 sp transmission setup shifts smoothly and is non intrusive ( I hate CVT's), and, the engine, while not a 0 to 60 speed demon, is more than adequate for a family vehicle, the gas mileage is good for a V6 and the weight of the vehicle... In test driving the Atlas and it's competitors, it simply was the best all around package for me, and, with the price of the model I bought being more reasonable than it's competitors, it made my purchase decision easy... Yes, I was wary of a first year model, but the Atlas comes with a 6 year/72K bumper to bumper warranty, and, waiting 10 months into the model run, I felt comfortable with it's reliability... If you are looking for a 3 row SUV, do yourself a favor and test drive one... You might be very surprised at the "bang for your buck" you will get with the Atlas versus it's competitors... It has been one terrific vehicle for me and my family...

Great car, tank too small
By KM

2018 Volkswagen Atlas V6 SEL 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

We had the car for 8 months now and for the family of 5 and taking friends with us frequently, it is a great SUV. We looked at Audi and Volvo x90 and in terms of utility they did not come close. Both Volvo and Audi offer a more refined ride quality as subjective as that might be, but in terms of usefulness they don't come close to Atlas. VW has a recall which we just did on some front end stuff, and that seems to account for the riding over bumps that reviewers are complaining about. Overall great SUV. If you are looking for space and decent non offending interior design, but don't mind a bit boring interior or exterior for that matter, this car is it. My only complaint is the tank size. Get used to it, 300 miles is it, and for me I get nervous at 200. That was my initial problem with the car and I still hate it, but so be it. Overall, I think this was the best choice we could have made.

VW AT - LAS
By Robert

2018 Volkswagen Atlas V6 SE w/Technology 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Go with the technology package