2018 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Consumer Reviews - 9 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Not as good as my 2006 Tundra Access Cab
By Greg

2018 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

The headliner in my 2018 Tundra 4WD DC looks ragged and unfinished where it meets the rear window frame. I examined a number of other brand new 2018 Toyota Tundras on the lot and they ALL look unfinished and raggedy, except for the Limited, Platinum, and 1794 editions with power rear windows. The engine (5.7L) is VERY noisy during cold startup, it almost sounds like a darn diesel, with knocking noises which gradually diminish as the engine warms up, but never go completely away. My 4.7L in the 2006 Tundra NEVER made any noises like this 5.7L does. It's very disconcerting, to say the least. Toyota recommends 0W-20 in the 5.7L, but I'll be changing it out here shortly when I reach 2,000 miles to Shell Rotella T 5W-40 synthetic, the same oil I've been using in my 2006 Tundra since it was new. In retrospect, I may have made a mistake purchasing this new Tundra, but I'll give it a chance. Maybe things will work out. I'm just used to having better quality, fit, and finish. Even my 1984 Toyota truck, as bare bones as it was, still had a better finished headliner than my 2018 does.

2nd Tundra...still awesome!
By cardinal baseball 67-present

2018 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

2018 dc 4wd off road...I received a fantastic trade for my 15 Cm -OR-sr5...I am in the minority, but my truck is a daily driver,and is comfortable and very easy to park,drive etc. I am better off comfort wise and drive characteristics than in the wifes Honda Odyssey. Again I am probably one of the lone few who say you can receive decent gas mileage if driven sane and focused. For the price and resale value I cannot justify any other truck...P.S. winter gas mileage 15,summer honest 17-19 mpg

Toyota Blunder
By J. Dean

2018 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

This is a very poor excuse for a full size truck. Do yourself a favor and buy a Ford or Chevy, the only real trucks.

Outdated but Dependable
By Steve P

2018 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4dr Double Cab LB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I have been buying and driving pickup trucks for 40 years. Mostly Ford, some Chevy and this is my second Toyota Tundra. It is my opinion, the biggest positive of this truck is Toyota dependability and reliability. After owning countless pickup trucks over 40 years, I would say that it is an indisputable fact that the Tundra is head and shoulders above its competition as far as dependability and reliability. This translates into Toyota's holding their resale value way above its peers. As far as negatives, without a question the Tundra is outdated. Ford, Chevy and Ram trucks will definitely have more power and get better mileage. Toyota has simply not made the necessary investment in updates to keep up with the competition. As other reviewers have rightly said, the electronic technologies in this truck are not well conceived. The radar cruise control, making the truck slow down whenever a vehicle is in front of you, is way too sensitive, to the point it makes it totally unusable. As others have said, the entire radio/navigation screen and controls are overly complicated and not very user friendly. There are more exterior safety sensors with warning lights and noises, than you can shake a stick at. One of the most bizzarre things, is the automatic high beams, which will not allow you to put on the high beams unless the truck thinks it's a good idea. Very strange. All this being said, overall the Tundra is a very dependable and solid truck, I definitely do not regret buying my second Tundra and definitely would recommend it to others.

Where's The Beef
By Michaels

2018 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

This truck is fine just for most people. But for those of us who have to work and play, it falls short. I've been waiting for years for Toyota to up their towing limits. So guys could use their trucks to "work", pulling larger trailers like equipment trailer, (not just a 5X7 trailer) AND then use their trucks to "play" after hours to pull 5th Wheel campers or larger boats. Those of us that DO work hard and play hard still must rely on Dodge, Ford and Chevy for the serious stuff. It seems like a no brainer for Toyota to widen their sights? It's called a serious "Heavy Duty" truck, not just a TOY ota! The technically has always been thought that over sea's auto were suppose to be much better in the fuel economy department, the USA give much better mileage on the big boy toy trucks than you guys. Are you Tech's out for lunch or just sleeping on the job? Bottom line, give us a truck that works and plays for us.