Used 2010 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Tundra for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

First Toyota

Robert, 12/02/2010

Bought my first Toyota this June. I have always owned Dodge Ram (had 5 of them) My 10' SR5 TRD 5.7L I-force smokes the Hemi, the interior is way more comfortable, more creature comforts, and larger rear sear (comparable models). All the power anybody needs,Big, fast, tough truck. Don't complain about mileage you won't find much better. Smooth ride and plenty of room...Love this truck.

Tow in Comfort

DJ, 10/15/2010

We recently bought a 10' double cab SR5 TRD with the 5.7. LOVE IT! We tow a 4-ATV trailer with it and you honestly don't even know the trailer is behind you. This truck has ridiculous power and I've yet to even floor it. Extremely comfortable for long trips even while towing. You sit up high and have great visibility. Gauges are a little hard to read in certain light. Love the interior though. We are really impressed with this truck, Toyota got it right. Whenever I see an F-150 I think "I could smoke you". Only gets a few miles to gallon less than my old 4Runner - if you want good gas mileage people buy a car, this is a 381hp towing beast!

Better than competition

Mat Leopard, 10/22/2010

I upgraded from a Toyota Tacoma 4.0 V6 to the Tundra 4.6 V8. I got the 4.6 Liter because it was closer to the V6 as far as gas mileage and I wouldn't be sacrificing a lot. The 4.6 L is rated for 15 mpg around town and I am averaging 17 mpg around town. I had to retrain myself how to accelerate and be aware of how I'm driving, but it has made all the difference! Value for dollar, I would pass on the Tacoma any day and go for the Tundra.

Rock Warrior

M, 08/07/2010

I have owned two Toyota Tacomas and loved them both. Bought this Tundra for more towing power as well as an overall larger truck. Saw Rock Warrior package and immediately loved the rims and tires especially. This truck has exceeded all expectations. If you complain about a bumpy ride, gauges, and gas mileage then go back to driving a Saab. This is a truck. I am getting 16 mpg city/rural driving and that is more than my last Tacoma with a V6.

Thanks Toyota

ronnie, 11/01/2009

This is the second tundra that I have owned. The upgrades on this one are great. I love the horse power and the transmission. I get an average of 17.5 mpg that's great for this size engine. The ride and comfort is also great. I looked at the Ford and Chevrolet before I purchased the tundra. I liked the tundra better.

The Most Dependable Truck Made!

Jimmy D., 05/04/2019
Tundra Grade 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I'll start off by saying I was die-hard GM guy for most of my life. In 2004, Toyota sent me an ad in the mail for a gift card for trying out one of their vehicles. I took them up on it, only to get the gift. I walked out of the dealer with my first Tundra! This 2010 is my second tundra. The first one was traded at 150,000 miles, ONLY because I wanted the 5.7l engine to tow my camper. Now, my current Tundra TRD Off Road has 128,000 miles on it, and has been just as exceptional as the first. No, it's not as glitzy as some of the competitors, but it sure will outlast all of them. For those that complain about the gas mileage, if you just take it easy on starts, and let it coast down hills, it's a bunch better. I can regularly get 18+ MPG tank full to tank full on the highway. My experience has been to buy nothing lower than 89 octane fuel, not even for my lawn mower. For fifteen years, and two Tundra's, I've never has a check engine light come on. No O2 sensor failure, either. If you want 30 MPG, don't buy a truck. For me, the Tundra has less gadgets to distract me, or to break. I would really like to buy a brand new one, but can't find a reason to let go of this one. They're just so darn dependable. I don't ever see a competitors truck in my garage!

Love this Truck

jmcycle, 07/02/2010

When shopping for a new full size truck, I looked at everything accept GM (won't buy GM due to bailout and subsequent UAW lawsuits). I settled on the Tundra for three main reasons: 1) 381 hp and 401 lb/ft of torque. The only truck that came close to this was the Ram. 2) The double cab rear doors open as regular doors instead of suicide doors. Aside from being more convenient, I also think it is safer for the rear seat passengers. 3) Toyota offered a lease. I rated the gas mileage as a 10 b/c it is comparable to its competition but still offers superior performance. This truck also handled better than and was more comfortable than the other trucks I test drove.

Tall guys will love it!

jason, 11/24/2010

Fantastic truck! Besides the looks, besides the massive towing abilities, besides the power, this truck just fits. Just driving it you feel in total control. Regardless if your towing a 10,000 lbs piece of equipment or a bed full of whatever, this truck does it with confidence. And I have to say being 6'3"(ish) I love how much room I have. Not to knock the other full size trucks, but I just felt cramped. If you like everything right in your face then this truck may not be for you. But if you like room, serious power (all available at low rpm by the way), and a great ride all with more cup holders than people can handle - then this is for you. And it's built in the US!!! Yes!! Texas

Awesome Truck, downright AWFUL MPG

Tom, 06/15/2010

This truck is awesome. It has an unbelievable amount of power, and exceeds my expectations with ease, but I regret my decision in buying the "Rock Warrior" package, as the tires, suspension, etc. are hurting this truck's gas mileage severely. As in 9 mpg in the city, 10-12 mpg highway. Other than that, all I can say is that this has to be the best half-ton ever built.

Paint is terrible

pastorjdh, 08/27/2010

I have had my truck for three months and it has the absolute worst paint job I have ever seen on a vehicle bar none. It scratches extremely easy and is impossible to buff out without removing the clear coat. I feel horrible about my purchase now. I bought the Tundra because of Toyota's reputation and I expected a well built vehicle. I don't know what else to say.

Dependable and Rugged

mwolfland, 08/28/2019
Tundra Grade 4dr Double Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Owned for over 200K miles. Only notable defect was the door lock actuators all had to be replaced in time; never had that problem with prior Toyo/Lexus vehicles. Otherwise, very dependable, comfortable, good handling on and off road. Put on a lot of miles both on and off road and the Tundra 4x2 withstood all. Very capable for towing as well.

Gas Mileage

nathantundra, 08/06/2012

I bought my truck new in 2010, its a double cab TRD, 5.7liter, 2wd, and it has never got more than 14.2mpg, and thats on the highway with a K&N filter, and premium gas, its the worst gas mileage truck on the market today. I have owned many trucks, but this is worst one yet. I dont know where they get the window sticker information, because its not true.

Comfortable truck

Robert Kladde, 06/27/2009

I just purchased the Tundra three weeks ago and have 2,000 miles on it. Rides comfortably, quietly, looks great, and has more than enough power! Hauled 1000 pound load in bed as though it was empty. Excellent acceleration even with the smaller V8. Glad I went with the new 4.6! Handles great on windy Colorado mountain roads with little body roll. I am averaging 20 MPG with 75/25% hwy/cty. That's amazing! CO air is thin though. Only bummer so far, however, is this hard to find 00W20 motor oil that it requires!! Can only find it in Mobile one, by the quart only, and it is $7.00 per quart! Yes, that's a SEVEN! Wal-Mart is only $6.30 a quart, but they rarely have it in stock. Beware.

Excellent Truck

machinex, 09/03/2009

Even with the work truck package and the base 4.0L engine, this is a great vehicle. Looks good, rides smooth for full-size truck and gets a lot of looks. Toyota really paid attention to truck buyers this time; there's storage compartments everywhere, the tailgate is light as a feather but still very strong and the whole truck just feels sturdy and beefy. I used to buy only domestic trucks because of headroom issues (I'm very tall), but now the Toyota cab is just as tall and roomy as the competitors. While Ford may have more packages and options available, Toyota has been smarter about the offerings they have. After all, no one wants roll-up windows on a truck over $20k.

Major transmissin problem

ken, 12/27/2009

My 4.6 litr. transmission acts like no other vehicle I have driven, it constantly is hunting for a gear and the gas pedal is not responsive to requests for a small amount of power to maintain a constant speed. When doing this, I apply pressure to the pedal and after an inch or more of down pressure with nothing happening, it down shifts. I tow a 5700 lb trailer and the poor response of the engine and lack of power on hills makes driving this vehicle ULTRA annoying. Toyota said the truck is normal, baloney!!!! If it responded like every other vehicle I have driven, I would not be writing this review. I've been driving Toyotas for 30 years.

sorry I bought this truck

irishman not happy, 01/14/2010

I bought this truck with high expectations after having my T-100 for 13 years and loving it. This truck has a lousy transmission. When turning corners at low speeds it can not seem to find a gear to go into. More torque would be nice because the engine sound like it never has enough power to do the job. Would have never bought this truck if I could have driven the 4.6 before the dealership found one for me and I was obligated to purchase it. I drove the 5.7 and thought it would have some of the raw power this engine has but not to be.

Check Engine Light

JH, 03/14/2010

Have had the truck for a week and the check engine light is on! Just traded in my Jeep Grand Cherokee for the same reason. Expensive truck and now this! Put some faith in Toyota even with the accelerator recall and supposedly from another post, they knew about this problem, cam sensor. Beware!

Awesome Truck

Mahn, 04/24/2010

Very responsive truck. Lots of room. Very please that this 5.7 will out pull others 5.7. Lots of fun to drive. Love the rear sliding window and the tilting head lights. Mileage is awesome. been averaging about 14city and 20hwy on this 5.7. I will add cold air later which will improve the mileage even more. I was having withdrawal when I traded in (trouble free for 10yrs) my 2000 tundra. After driving the 2010 tundra, I don't miss it anymore. More power more room spills a lot of fun.

Cam sensor

stash, 05/14/2010

Before purchasing my 2010 Tunda 4.6, I did read some reviews about the engine light coming on shortly after purchasing from other reviewers. I purchased the truck based on Toyota quality based on past purchases. Well after 6 days and 370 miles, I said to myself no engine light should be good. Well day 7 engine light on brought to dealer and told them about previous reviews. Said engine oil was the problem. Waited 15 minutes and was given a loaner to use until the cam sensor (most likely) will be replaced.This is an assumption being that it's Friday and they will not be able to completely check the problem until Monday. Very disappointed in Toyota due to years of quality work.

Great truck

rhellams, 10/07/2010

I have been driving 2,000 miles a month with my Tundra. Averaging 18.5 mpg and couldn't have asked for better performance. Truck has been great!

BIG LONG TRUCK

R L Holder, 08/03/2018
Tundra Grade 4dr Double Cab LB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I spent about 5 months searching for a Tundra double cab with a long bed - finally located the desired model in June, 2018. The vehicle was a one owner with low mileage and no accidents. I drove 240 miles to obtain said vehicle and have been very satisfied with my purchase for use in a lawn and tree service.

Remember it's a Toyota "TRUCK"

parder, 01/20/2010

One month so far. Replaced a F150 with Tundra Dbl cab. F150 drives like a caddy, Tundra like a used Mack. Bouncy and loud. Great looking,but take it for a long test drive to make sure. Gauges hard to see,2 front seats,yet cupholders (good for long trips across Sahara),but no map pockets? Radio system confusing & impossible to reach(steering wheel controls don't really help). Cruise hard to reach and tells you it is on when it really isn't. Hard to control gas pedal, small brake pedal. But, typical of Toyota & Honda-you get what we give you and like it. Great towing capacity but highly overrated as everyday driver for performance and comfort! Oh, don't forget the $100 oil changes.

Disappointed in Toyota

Leon, 05/15/2010

My first Toyota and I am quite disappointed. I bought a Toyota Tundra because of Toyota's past reputation of quality. Toyota quality is definitely a thing of the past. Be cautious of the 2010 Tundra. When manufacturing they put the wrong VVT spring in the motors of a bunch of Tundras. Unfortunately for consumers, Toyota continued to sell the trucks despite knowing there was a major problem. My truck has also been into the shop for a sinking dash and still doesn't run like it should. Gas mileage is horrible, lack of power. I will likely trade it in on an F150 since Toyota doesn't seem concerned that they are wasting the time of and aggravating many customers.

Great Truck!

Corey, 10/29/2010

First off this is the best truck I have ever owned! tons of power, room and design. who ever doesn't like this truck is simply a huge MORON!

Dissapointed

stovester, 07/15/2010

First Toyota I have ever bought always owned "American" trucks but thought I'd give Toyota shot since they (used) to have a great rep. Lack of power off the line and have had several instances where it just won't GO! Even with the pedal to the floor. I was told by dealership that's how they are and if there is no check engine light then nothings wrong. Finally after having the recall performed the check engine light came on and turned out the emissions valve was bad. 2 days to replaced that (no loaner vehicle provided) and still having problems. Even more prominent with the AC on, loses power bid time. Last Toyota I will buy, not impressed at all.

Pleased with my new Tacoma

Al, 10/30/2009

Just purchased a 2010 Toyota Tundra Grade 4dr Double Cab SB (4.6L 8cyl 6A). Although I have not had occasion to tow yet, the 4.6 seems to have all the power I need and accelerates well. The double cab and increased overall length will take some getting used to. Had I been able to get a diesel, I believe this would have been the ideal truck. I wanted a diesel primarily for long-term efficiency (mpg), dependability and low-end torque (off-roading and hauling). It represents a very good value IMHO and rides like a dream. I traded a Toyota FJ cruiser in on it and am so much happier with this vehicle than the FJ. The FJ is "toy-like" by comparison.

Disappointed

bspurlo, 03/04/2010

I bought my 2010 Tundra on Saturday and ended up taking it back on Monday because the check engine light came on. I found out through the internet that its a problem Toyota's having with a lot of Tundras something to do with a spring in the motor. The fix requires them to tear the engine down, replace the spring and about 15 other parts then put it back together. I have been in contact with the dealership, Toyota and a host of other agency's complaining about paying $36k for what boils down to a used truck! I am so far beyond disappointed in Toyota I cant even begin to tell you. This will for sure be the last vehicle I purchase from Toyota and that's truly said since this makes my 4 Toyota.

Great Truck

Flex Fuel Tundra, 04/26/2010

This is my first toyota and I will most deffenently buy another one. Like all companies including the big 3 there are some issues with some of the trucks not all of them are perfect. Just wanted to mention that after reading some of the other reviews. My truck has not had a single issue. Drives great rides great performs great. The gas mileage kinda stinks on E85 but the cost of it makes up the difference and you get more power running it. Only thing i noticed was a bouncy ride on highways that have the groves to prevent water build up. After the first tire rotation that went away. If your thinking about buying a truck buy this one. You will love it.

no disappointments

scott534, 05/13/2010

I traded an F350 diesel for this truck, and the poor fuel economy is about the same. The interior takes some getting used to, and the plastic pieces used in the center arm rest and door panel scratch very easy. I use this truck for towing a fifth wheel, and it pulls awesome (I have the longbed and put airbags on the rear). Extremely comfortable with or without a load. Tons of room in the back seat of the double cab. The best thing I did was order the flex/fuel package. Contrary to other reports, there is no lack of power using this fuel. On top of that, I am consistently paying 75 cents per gallon cheaper than regular unleaded.

Just My Style

Gary Perruzzi, 06/08/2010

Looked at Sierra, Silverado and F-150 but decided on the Tundra, first on looks and style, but ultimately on ride and quality. The 5.7L is quick and responsive, and so far 16.5 mpg around town. For all the concern over cam sensor problems...so far so good. Many options for the same price as a standard F-150. Love it, and would recommend picking one up!

Great Truck!

Skierdad, 07/19/2010

Drove every half ton truck out there and chose the Tundra over them all. Tons of power. Have pulled a 4 place ATV trailer loaded up, boats, etc. No issues. Added a matching topper and the truck is sharp looking. Can load up the wife, kids, and 2 dogs and all our gear for a drive anywhere we want to go.

2010 Toyota Tundra SB 5.7 Double Cab

Fred, 11/01/2010

I enjoy driving this vehicle but am disappointed in the mileage. I expected better and I know Toyota can do better! I bought the 5.7 and I'm lucky to get 17 miles on the highway. Also, the fuel tank is too small. Increase the capacity. The truck rides and handles better than the Dodge Diesel I traded in. I like the quality and reliability of this truck and of the 4 runner that my wife drives.

Love the truck

Kenny, 02/22/2016
Tundra Grade 4dr Double Cab SB (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Have enjoyed many long trips, 1k miles, spend most of my day in it, always comfortable, easy to change settings.

2010 tundra

K, 12/25/2017
Tundra Grade 4dr Double Cab SB (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Tires, brakes and oil change is all she has needed for 150000 miles

140k miles, no problems

darrell, 06/26/2018
Tundra Grade 4dr Double Cab LB (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

very reliable vehicle, i've put over 140,000 miles on it only changed oil, brakes and tires.

Horrible truck

tmoney09, 05/05/2011

the paint job is very terrible, you could rub your fingernail across it and tear the paint off, it tries to take off but unless you push to the point where it roughly takes off it wont go, yes it turns sharp but when you go around curves at even low speeds things fly all over the truck, it also has horrible gas economy, i mean its expected of a truck but the gas tank is too small so filling up often is ridiculous, also the interior is not built very well who builds a center console with cup holders in the middle causing it to have a little storage space

Wow!

bribrew1968, 06/15/2009

Great vehicle for nearly all requirements in life. Lots and lots of storage all throughout. Many 12v outlets all through cabin. Rear seats fold up creating enormous, lockable space. Accelerator/engine is responsive and alive. The 15/20 ratings are great for a V8 in any class. The Toyota stock air intake reviews are fantastic so adding a high performance filter ($60-ish) is simply additional horses and mileage gains. The ride is smooth and not 'truck-like' yet the 300+ HP engine and payload totals are quite adequate. I will add finally that there are more airbags than I have ever seen in a vehicle ... causing my insurance to drop 20% over my old 1999 Tacoma's totals! I recommend highly.

2010 tundra

ron romine, 10/18/2009

The new 4.6 v8 sold me on this vehicle compared to the others. Another big plus is the resale value. Toyota beats them all. Even under the truck I was impressed. The brake lines and fuel lines are coated as well frame and body to prevent rust.

Great Truck

envelopo, 12/04/2009

I traded my 09 Silverado on this truck because of numerous problems and trips to the dealer. I have had other toyota trucks over the years and returned because of the build quality. This truck is smooth, quiet, powerful and bone solid reliable. 30% of the time I am towing a 5800 lb travel trailer and am very impressed with the 4.6 engine's towing ability. In my opinion the engine is good compromise between economy and power. Currently I am getting about 17 in combined driving, 19 highway and 10 - 11 towing. I also like how the 6 speed transmission operates, the heating cooling system and seat fabric. Biggest complaint is a rather flimsy bed, which I plan to cure with a spray in liner.

First Truck- New 4.6

jnavarro2484, 01/04/2010

Looks great, handles well,and is extremely good on gas for its size. I have not gotten the ability to tow anything yet but; I feel that this new V8 has enough power in it to get the job done.Had I done everything differently, I would of went with the 4x4. I'm thinking of trading it at the end of 2010 for a 4x4 due to an issue where I couldn't get out of a little drainage ditch in front of my uncles house in Port Saint Lucie Fl.Other than that, I am in love!!!

Went from '07 to '10 Tundra

bill, 05/27/2010

Turned in leased '07 2WD 4.6 L for '10 4WD dbl cab w/5.7 engine. '02 was trouble free and powerful considering the small engine. With only 4 tanks of gas in the '10, have gotten 18 mpg and slightly better in mostly around town driving. I'm an easy driver and whenever possible drive with the tach and try to run under 2k rpm. Radio in '02 was replaced 3 times, but was multi-disc cd player and I don't expect problem with single player in '10. 6-speed trans is great so far, as is powerful engine. If no problems, expect to buy this truck at end of lease. I'm a fairly large person and this is a comfortable truck. Fit is good. This one was made in San Antonio TX.

My paint is coming off!

Ryan, 08/10/2010

I only have 7000 miles on my tundra and the paint is coming off. The iPod control never works and the inside is made out of recycled garbage plastic. I am taking the loss and ditching this thing asap.

The last Toyota I'll own

mylast1, 02/28/2010

It looks good on the outside, drives great, and is fast but this is last Toyota I'll buy. Not because of all the recalls. It's the way Toyota skimps on features. Even the top end packages will give you the comfort features that other makers have. Here are just a few: no 1-touch window down/up for driver (and pass.), no windows down/up using remote, and not all interior controls light-up at night. The $500 enhanced radio provides poor sounds. And beware of the display panel switch: Only the limited models get the advertised Blue/White displays. All others get the Halloween orange lights display panel.

Satisfied

Dove, 12/13/2015
Limited 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

need better electronics (back up camera)

Dave Grover, 05/03/2019
Limited 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Ride/ suspension a little too stiff,

Great Truck!!!

stevo_043, 07/01/2009

I recently purchased a Tundra and I love it!!! I got the 5.7 V8 and it hauls!!! I know it doesn't get the best gas mileage, but for a truck it's not bad. I've only had it for less than a week, but it's great! It's roomy and definitely a great buy! Toyota is known for reliability and I know this truck will last a long time! Definitely get running boards, you'll need them! The only complaint that I have is the bounciness that it has on the highway... It made my wife and I slightly queasy on the highway, but it's expected of a truck. Other than that it rides great, has a great stereo (which has bluetooth - COOL) and is very comfortable and will be able to fit a new car seat for our new baby!

Toyota could improve

nnelgb, 08/24/2009

Things I don't like. When the engine starts cold it immediately hits 1800 RPM instead of a reasonable 1200 RPM. The bright light indicator is too bright. The gas & engine temperature gauge is down in a tube and in the daytime you can't read it part of the time. With a topper on the bed the dirt pours into the bed on dirt roads. This may be the topper installer problem but there is a 1/2" space between the tailgate and the bed. Lots of storage space-peppy engine(4.6) - rides good for a truck (I have the tow package) with the cruise control on it will down shift going down a grade to help keep the right speed. (first Toyota) Dealer is excellent to me. I haven't been back to dealer yet.

Power and overall quality

BeaverFood, 10/05/2009

I traded my Silverado for the Tundra. I need a reliable and tough pick-up for towing my boat (4,000 lbs) and for plowing my driveway. I expect the Tundra to do well at both. It certainly hauls my boat just fine. I had to haul it 400 miles roundtrip the day after getting the truck. It handled very well, smoother than the Silverado. The 5.7L engine is very nice. And I like the way it downshifts (under cruise control) when going down hill.

2010 Toyota Tundra 4.6 Double Cab

joeydee, 10/26/2009

I currently have 1200 miles on the truck and my driving consists of 75% highway and 25% city. I am currently getting 18.9 miles per gallon. The longest stretch I drove was from the Texas Hill Country to Corpus Christi, Texas a distance of 179 miles. When I arrived at my destination I still had half a tank of gas left. I was able to return back with the other half tank and refill upon arrival. For a large truck it gets good mpg. The ride is comfortable and the cabin is very quiet with hardly no wind or engine noise. Hauling heavy loads is very easy with this truck.

One awesome truck

FFT, 11/26/2009

I recently bought a Tundra after I lost my beloved T-100 in an accident. I am as happy as I can be with the 2010 Tundra. I get a million compliments on it from everybody both friend and stranger. "Nice Truck" is all I hear. It is well designed and I call it my 'no problem' vehicle. It can handle anything I ask of it. Nice engine, nice radio, smart design. Best vehicle purchase I've made. Can't wait to finish the break-in period so I can start putting down the gas.

51050