Used 2002 Toyota Tundra Access Cab Consumer Reviews - 104 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Tundra Access Cab Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Count me out of the Toyota Love Fest
By Mike

2002 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Bought my 2002 Tundra new in Dec 2001. Currently 119k miles. Nothing but problems. I'll keep it because I live in a low rust climate, it's paid for and I am 73 yrs old. Let's talk about the legendary Toyota quality. Countless dead batteries in the warranty period. Dealers didn't want to touch an intermittent problem. Independent shop finally fixed it after warranty. Rebuilt rear differential clutches ($1,000) @ 65k hwy miles. Now rear diff needs another rebuild because it took on water. There is a $5 kit that raises the vent above water line when boat launching (why didn't the factory do this?). Throttle position sensor ($500), power window ($400), two O2 sensors ($400), three brake jobs (I know maintenance, but I got 93,000 on orig brakes on my '98 Grand Caravan), rear axle seals twice, pinion seal once, and finally let's not forget sun visors, I'm on my 4th driver's side and they cost $128 each. This is such a POS that I have probably forgotten a few repairs. Shoudda bought a Ford or Dodge.

By Steven Balestra

2002 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab Limited 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

This is by far the best truck I have ever owned. I have 233,000 miles and only brakes, shocks and o/2 sensors been replaced.

02'tundra limited 4x4
By blueyedevil

2002 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab Limited 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I,ve owned an 02' tundra (access cab) 4x4 for 10 yrs. I bought it with 40k miles, mint condition. I have 328,500 miles on it now. no that is not a miss-print. I put 35k a yr. religiously. I replaced the timing belt and water pump at 125k(cause the manual says to) and was about to have it done again. But, a deer took my baby out 4 days ago. Ive owned 5 chevy,s , 1 ford, and 1 dodge. never have I gotten over 189k on any one of them. Shopping for another Yota 02' 4x4( 4.7L). I'm buying another in a couple days with 190k miles and I know I wont have a problem with it. (p.s. the ride is a little rough on hard surfaces but it's a 4x4. But,Tracks really straight/tight on wet narrow dirt rds )

I like smaller body size than chevy, ford and even new larger tundras. Easier to go thru woods roads and narrow walmart parking places. Didnt have to go down to a tacoma ( v-6). Also love the push button 4x4 engage on the fly. nissan frontier wouldnt engage 4wd till u drove backwards 6 feet. "W.T.H."

Back seat not much room, not even for kids, but thats ok, cause i dont have any. . . I call it my air-conditioned tool box. ( thats where i stored my tools and stuff.). Also , small rear window. difficult to see backing up trailer and such. . . and really cant see if u put a tool box. Hadn't tried low profile box yet.

Great Truck, but You Need to Know...
182,933 of 182,977 people found this review helpful
By the3rdfinger

2002 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I just purchased this truck used with 100,000 miles on it. Since then I have discovered two things you need to watch out for on this truck:

1. The 4.7L V8 is an interference engine. The service interval is 90,000 miles. If you allow the timing belt to break, it will destroy the valves. Be sure you take this maintenance item into consideration. Have the water pump and idler/tensioner pulleys replaced at the same time you have the belt serviced. Expect to pay $500-$900 for parts and labor.

2. Toyota has issued several recalls for excessive frame corrosion. Check to be sure the frame is not excessively corroded and that the recall items are taken care of.

Great truck
By Jo

2002 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased this truck new about 8 years ago. I love my truck. V-8 is always responsive, no hesitation, a/c works great even in south Mississippi summers. Transmission is as flawless as the day it was born. The interior has held up wonderfully, only one temp control knob has split on the inside, looking for a new one! On long trips, it's good for about 8 hours before my back gets sore. Exterior has also held up well due to frequent oil changes, tire rotations and wash and wax frequently and this truck will last. No rust. Bed is smaller than a full size pickup, but this is great for parking and moving small loads. Big loads I use the trailer hitch and find a trailer.

Sits up high in traffic without needing a lift package. A/C and sound system still puts out, cruise is still great. Truck is solid, no rust (garage kept). Will keep when I purchase a car.

Front end alignment issues when first purchased, cost a new set of tires, but dealership resolved. Hyper extend the back doors for ease of use in loading packages and groceries.