Used 2009 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews - 126 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

INITIAL REVIEW
By teejay1

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

i have had the vehicle for about a month now. i bought it used from carmax with 20k miles on it one owner. so far i really like the truck. it rides way better than my 2004 Dakota and the safety features are a real plus. i have dogs so i really like the back up camera feature. i think the brakes are very responsive and the seats feel really nice on a long trip!! the 4.0 V-6 is strong and will set you back in your seat if you punch it. the controls are all laid out well and i love the steering wheel radio controls. what is to be seen is the reliability??? i like to keep my vehicles for well over 200k so i will get back@ say 50k!!

traction control, locking differential and stereo controls on steering wheel.

add two more speakers for a total of eight. i like to jam my satellite radio!!

1st & Last Toyota
By disappinted

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first Toyota. Had a lifted 98 Chevy before this. I have had to take the car in to have an exhaust seal replaced. Overall I loved my Chevy better! I felt safe in it. I feel like I and in an aluminum can when it is storming outside. Why are so many dealers going overkill on the fenders? I'm a women and we like trucks too!I have wanted to sell this truck for a while but hate to lose so much money. Now with Toyota NOT really knowing what is wrong with their vehicles, i want to sell it even more.

It's a truck!

Ease up on the fenders. Love the look of the 90's Toyota truck! More comfortable seats. Better seat material, spots from the rain outside! Please dealers stop putting fabric on the doors!!! So stupid...

Huge disappointment
By DisappointedOwner

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my Tacoma for 6 months. I could not be more disappointed. I always thought that Toyota meant quality. It does not. I have had my truck back to the dealership eight times. Once for rattles and rear leaf spring problems. Once for rattles and the bad radio - waited 5 months to get that replaced. Five other times for rattles and squeaks in the doors and dash - still have not got those fixed. Speakers on the passenger side buzz. As soon as I an break even on the truck I'm selling it and buying a Ford. Soft searching shifting at low speeds.

Good gas mileage

Start building quality vehicles again.

TRD Tacoma
By Luc

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned this truck for a year now and have had no issues at all.Gas mileage could be better (18 mpg) combined. The standard Dunlop tires have no lateral grip in the snow. Next year I will purchase a set of steel rims and install snow tires. Engine is loud when you step on it hard. I have had no problems with the transmition that others are talking about.This truck is very comfortable on long trips.

4 doors, backup camera, ride.

better gas mileage

I Made A Great Choice!
By Steve

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I made a great choice in purchasing the Toyota Tacoma. In the past 7 months I can report no major problems. Besides the less then impressive gas mileage the only problem I had was erratic down & up shifting problems. The transmission was not down shifting or up shifting smoothly at slower speeds and corners. I took the Tacoma back to the dealer and they did an “ECU Calibration” update to the computer. Since the update to the computer, I have not had the erratic shifting problems. The V6 power is there when you need it, and it handles just fine. The ride is a truck, I expected that. It’s a fun truck to drive!

I love the exterior design; I think it’s the best looking midsize truck out on the road. There are many useful storage compartments

Lay out a few of the switches and accessory jacks in a more user friendly location. The interior is laid out pretty good except for the row of switch’s (AUX jack, cig lighter, A- Trac, AUX power) below the fan & heat/cold controls. They are very hard to see or use when driving.