Used 2002 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Consumer Reviews - 65 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

2002 Toyota Tacoma is Garbage !!!!!! Stay away.
By Ben

2002 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

So I buy a used Tacoma at 140,000 miles - 2002. The moment I drive this Tacoma home after purchase the CEL goes off. ??? So I go to Auto Zone and it throws the dreaded PO171 lean bank code. So I buy a MAF sensor ( $75.00 )and nothing...code still on. Also noticed that my MPG was awful, getting around 13 mpg for a 18.5 gallon tank. So next I try the 2 Oxygen sensors upstream and downstream ($150) and still nothing, so I'm now thinking this tacoma truck is indeed a [non-permissible content removed] So I take the piece of garbage to the Toyota dealership and they keep the truck for 8 hours on a Saturday !!!!! and tell me truck has the wrong spark plugs and that's causing the PO171 code. $258 later they replace the spark plugs and clear the code and off I go. 8 miles down the road I noticed the piece of crap is misfiring out the tailpipe and CEL comes back on? So after a few more curse words I decide to take it back to dealership the next day and complain. After keeping the garbage truck for 5 hours they now tell me it could be the timing belt was off by a tooth and maybe the fuel injector needs to be replace.....$2,200.00 !!!! Are you fricking kidding me. ROFLMAO. So I take the truck home and the next day when I started, a huge black smoke comes out of tailpipe. Ugh. So I go get timing belt done on my own with a local mechanic and the cost was $500.00 with parts. Drive 4 miles down the road and CEL comes back on ? [non-permissible content removed] So now I replace the Fuel filter and still CEL on. After doing some research I find out that Toyota brand only likes DENSO sensors so I again replaced the 2 Oxygen sensors with DENSO and boom CEL goes off. So I actually drove 250 with NO CEL on but she kept misfiring out the tailpipe and hesitation. So I go and replace the fuel pump and still same issue. And then go after the gaskets and seals and replace them.Now I'm getting ready to dump this piece of garbage out to sea. So a few days later I noticed a funny gas smell coming from the inside of the engine. What is up, now I have a leaking fuel injector ?? Another $450 to fix. And yep CEL comes back on and this time it's the bad sensor may set a P0401 code (insufficient EGR flow), or it may not set an EGR code but a P0171 and/or P0174 lean code instead. I'm going nuts !!!!! Fix the Fuel injector, reset the computer by disconnecting the battery. So Good riddance you [non-permissible conten removed] tacoma. Toyota got it wrong. DO NOT by a first generation Tacoma at all. Stay away !!!!!! Far away. The worst truck I have bought in my entire life and would not recommend a first generation Tacoma to anyone. GRADE F

31 years with 2 Tacomas
By Ed Chacon

2002 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

'86 extra cab 14 years no major problems ...'2002 4door still runs great no problems.......Bought both new and both had normal wear and tear. Change oil regularly and treat it like it'll be there for 15 + years and it will.

taco
By t komp

2002 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

look at fuel hoses

Fantastic!
By Shane Keenan

2002 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This truck was my first car i had a 2002 Tacoma TRD off-road limited and it ran with 258,000 miles on it until i rolled it into a ditch, and even after the accident the cab stayed intact, i landed upside down and all that affected the cab was the center of the windshield and the sunroof bent in a few inches. Would not own any other truck!

No other truck comes close
By libraryguy85

2002 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This truck is the most complete and downright solid truck I have ever owned and probably ever will own. I bought this truck used because I liked the second generation body style better than the new ones, and it has not disappointed in any way. I've wanted one since I was in high school, back when I drove a '96 Nissan hardbody pickup, and about 8 years later, I had a TRD 4 door in my driveway, ironically almost the same color (Impulse Red Pearl) as the Nissan. I never thought I'd find a better truck than my first, but I was wrong. This truck is perfect in every way and never lets me down. It has about 108K on the odometer and many miles to go. Keep up the good work, Toyota!

The styling of this truck is probably my favorite feature, followed closely by its reliability. It was the look of this body style that made me choose it over the new model. I love the look of the fender flares fitted over the larger off-road tires, the rounded styling of the hood, grille, and body, and the way it sits high off the ground even though it is a smaller truck. The interior is comfortable and clean, and despite me liking the newer Tacoma interior a bit more, this one has been more pleasing than I thought it would be. Road trips have been very comfortable every time. Above all, it is a tough truck, and takes a beating, even though I usually tend to baby it (as it is my baby).

The only things I would improve on this truck would be the placement of the clock (it is mostly hidden by the steering wheel when you are driving), and maybe adding a little more power (although the 190 horsepower V6 does very well, no doubt). The new Tacoma V6 has about 235 horsepower, which I sometimes wish this truck had. I plan to add a TRD supercharger someday which should put it easily in the mid-200hp range, as well as a 3" lift, slightly larger tires and custom wheels, nothing larger than 17", and chrome nerf bars. Other than that, this truck needs no improvements. It is a model for what other trucks should be.