2016 Toyota RAV4 SUV Consumer Reviews - 93 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Toyota RAV4 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Great trade
By Sandy

2016 Toyota RAV4 SUV SE 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I traded in my Ford Escape because my lease was up for a 2016 Rav 4 SE. I had been with Ford for over 15 years. I drove the Rav 4 and instantly fell in love with the ride, the interior, the design...basically everything. For what I have in my 2016 Rav 4 SE and the price I got I couldn't touch a Ford Escape for that price. Great car!

Great car
By Maggie

2016 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I love this car, great ride, quality interior, great stereo and navigation. I am loving the safety features; backup monitor, cross traffic warning, blind spot monitoring. My only complaint is the terrible rear view visibility!

Good little SUV but not great.
By Ron W.

2016 Toyota RAV4 SUV SE 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Pros - Looks great, handles well, great safety features and reliability. Cons - Gas mileage, around 21.5 combined (L.A.), a little noisy, front brakes (and this has never happened to me) won't last too long. I haven't needed brakes since cars I owned in the late 1980's. I trade them in around 35k-50k mileage. So this is a design flaw in the Toyota ESPECIALLY because they already have to turn/smooth the front rotors and replace the pads. (It's at the dealer as I write this.) No charge, under warranty, but still, this should not of happened yet. The interior is cheap. I have SO many little scratches, marks and a big 'dip' where my elbow rests on the smooth part where the window meets the plastic. I take really great care of my cars and have never seen so many interior marks. I'm a solo driver 97% of the time so this is just weird. Acceleration is acceptable but never fun, even in sport mode. Navigation is primitive, but that is no big deal because I use my iPhone for navigation through bluetooth which works nicely.

Nice little sport ute to save the day
By Steve

2016 Toyota RAV4 SUV LE 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

So a little background on why I purchased a new Rav4. I had a 2007 Rav4 Limited that I had purchased earlier in the year I hoping I could reduce my debt and get a reliable car. My girlfriend and I decided that the new puppy needed to make a trip to Little Rock Arkansas which is about 400 miles away from us. I knew that this vehicle had started to consume about half a court of oil every 2000 miles or so which is acceptable by Toyota standards by the way. Understanding that this vehicle was almost 10 years and had 100,000 miles it wasn't a big deal to me. So what I have to add a little oil every once in awhile. I had never taken this vehicle on a trip before and checked the oil before I left making sure everything was good to go. After completing the journey I checked the oil the next day and found the dipstick to be completely dry. I had pumped over 1000 bucks in this car in the prior month and know it needs a motor great. I'm a huge Toyota fan so I promptly went to the nearest Toyota dealer and started looking for something reliable that would get me and the girlfriend home without any trouble on Easter Sunday, I had been looking at a newer Rav4 anyways just to look and decided that's what I needed to get. I found the one and I wanted and after spending half a day of my vacation buying a car I went to dinner with my family. I was very impressed with how quiet it was compared to the previous generation and loved the standard infotainment system the car had. Being an LE I liked the fact that it had bluetooth and a back up camera standard. The next day we started our trip back home and I found myself speeding most of the way home because of how quiet it was. The sensation of speed is completely different. Going through the Boston mountains I began to notice how much the 6 speed transmissions shift and became very annoyed with it. After owning this car for almost a year and almost 13,000 miles on it I still annoys me how much it shifts. Without that transmission though it probably wouldn't get the gas mileage it does. After a few thousands miles on the odometer I'm pleased to report that I can get over 30mpg consistently. I think the worst gas mileage Ive seen is 28. After a year the car still remains quiet and I've had no problems. I like the service intervals to. 10,000 miles for an oil change on synthetic oil isn't a bad deal. The one thing that I had to change is the headlights. This car is the projector headlight lenses and I found it very hard to see to the right or left of the vehicle at night. It made it hard to determine how close I was to the ditches when driving at night. I could see that being a problem and somebody taking a turn and clipping a curb or driving right into a deep ditch. I turned to Amazon and purchased a set of LED headlights. I notice the new corollas have them so it was pretty easy to get my hands on set for 100 bucks. They made all of the difference in the world. The other thing that disappoints me is the how much these things are new. I believe my sticker showed almost 27,000. A few years ago you could buy a 4WD XLE with a sunroof for about 25k. I guess that's inflation for you. Great car, love the size, love the gas mileage.

Problems already
By melanie creadore

2016 Toyota RAV4 SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

After owning 2 weeks I found that no one can hear me using the phone inside vehicle. There seems to be water intrusion when washing vehicle. Acceleration is poor on highway and left me add what a gas guzzler. I expected more quality coming from Toyota, as I had the Lexus suv. The handling is poor. The technology is llacking, it doesn't understand my voice control at all. Already bringing it in to get fixed. If the alignment isn't off then the car absolutely handles horribly on the roads and highways. I put my hand down to pick up a candy and pulled out a plastic cover.