Used 2004 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews - 166 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

rav4 -great car
By Mark R

2004 Toyota RAV4 AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I wrote a review when about 6 months ago ( spoke about how i had a outback turbo ) and writing to tell you my experience of ownership after 8 moths of purchase. I love the pickup,it accelerates quickly which my outback had an issue with. The visibility is great i can easily see around me. The sound system is great, just need to replace the antenna for better radio quality; I may be buying an in-dash stereo with a backup camera. The ride is pretty decent but not ultra smooth. For the longest time i had the chriping sound and my mechanic fixed the issue - said the cowl needed to be secure= no more annoying chirping sound! The cons: the front seats are not comfortable; im 25 and my back started to hurt driving this car. To solve that issue i bought a great car pillow so no more back pain. Wish it had electric adjusting seats. I ultimately bough this car because of consumer reports labeling this year car reliable and bc it didn't have a lot of known issues. I am very happy with my purchase and my car reached the 85,000 mark, mechanic said the car is in excellent shape. When i drive it, it does not drive like a 14 year old car. I feel safe and confident this car will last me a long time. The only thing that stopped me from buying a crv was the known radiator issue which occurs in the 2002-2009 models- it happened to my friend and he had to pay 2,000 for that repair. For a brief period of time I was obsessing over a rx350 but I knew it was wiser to go with the older rav4 bc the maintenance/repair cost on lexus is costly. I'm very excited about my car now that the chripin sound is gone !

Great heart in a small package!
By Pat Lynch

2004 Toyota RAV4 Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is a used car that's 13 years old, and I've had it for 9 of those years. This car has made me a loyal fan of smaller SUV's, and I think Toyota is tops. No major repairs have been made on the car - just oil changes and tires. It has a few little dings and quirks but nothing to get too excited about.

rav4 my friend
By mark r

2004 Toyota RAV4 AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

bought an 04 awd for 6500 with 80,000 miles- black with moonroof. It looks great. I bought bc the acceleration was fast and Toyota is a reliable car. I did hours of reading on consumer reports and opted for the 04 model bc the 01-03 model has ecm issues. Upon getting the vehicle I had to replace the rotors and pads, as well as an 02 sensor. I had an 06 outback trubo fully loaded and it died around 110,000 miles due to a failed turbo- never buy a car with a turbo. The front seats are not comfortable in the rav4 so I bought a lumbar pillow. I have a low mileage one and will keep up with the maintenacen schedule. it is fun to drive and I'm glad I have awd here in new England. Almost bought a lexus but the having awd small suv was better than fwd sedan. I'm excited and hope this car lasts a long time. I use premium gas only. I was also considering a crv but the 2004 crv looks to square and the 04 rav4 looks new still.

Dependable
By C G

2004 Toyota RAV4 AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Love my '04 Rav4 4ever
By MayDay

2004 Toyota RAV4 Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This was my first car purchase ever. I knew I wanted an SUV, but not a giant gas guzzler. I love that I can for the most part fit into most parking spaces. It does drive like a car. This car now has 130,000 miles and still going strong. I wish Toyota made them convertibles at that time bc then this would be my car forever. I've always wanted a convertible SUV, which there is one available now, that I am considering getting. But I am so attached to my Rav. Good thing my brother is going to buy it from me, bc it definitely deserves a good home. It actually has good sound too. I sure am going to miss my Rav if I do end up selling it. I'm fighting back tears as I write this review...sniff sniff.