Used 1998 Toyota RAV4 SUV Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used RAV4 for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

My work horse!

Kathryn Porter Leary, 03/16/2017
4dr SUV

***UPDATES: 410,000 (yes, those are 3 zeros after the comma) later and still kicking!! I would buy this car again and again! My hope is that my 5 year old will be able to take her driving test with it!***I bought my 1998 Rav4 off of a used car lot in 2006. It had almost 80,000 miles on it. It was my everything car! Daily commuter (160 miles round trip DAILY), dog shows, camping trips, Burning Man, kid shuttle, etc. It currently has 396,000 miles on it 10 years later. I would guess that half of those miles I added are highway and the other half are stop and go commute traffic. I have loaded it with gear for week long camping trips, 4 dogs in kennels, 3 kids with backpacks, stuffed animals and Goldfish Crackers. I was even able to put a Washing Machine in it (and still closed the doors)! Hands down the most reliable, convenient, easiest car I have ever owned. If it keeps on 'truckin', it will be the car I teach all 3 of my girls how to drive. There are ZERO blind spots. I have often joked that is it a 'fish bowl on wheels'. Maintenance costs have been minimal. My husband is a mechanic and he is in awe about the lack of attention he needs to give my car. Brakes are STILL THE ORIGINALS! (Take that, Bay Area traffic!)! It blew a head gasket about 3 years ago and he pulled it out and took it to a machine shop to have it fixed. The guys at the shop commented on the shape of the engine and that we should, 'keep this car forever'. I will. I know it will hit 400k within the next few months but I'm already looking at 500k! The only issue I have with it (and boy is it a minor issue) is the cup holders. They are placed just below the CD player (that I never use, but I digress) and they are too small for your standard commuter coffee cup. They will hold a coffee cup from any take out place but they holder are very shallow. The cups wobble and may lead to a mocha spilling directly into the CD player (it happened...it wasn't pretty...I don't use the CD player anyway). I wedge my commuter cup in between the passenger seat and the e-brake if I need to set it down. I LOVE MY RAV4!

Life is a Cabernet!

Susan, 05/18/2016
L Special Edition 4dr SUV

Very reliable and holds to its value. A car you can own for a long time.

A winner as used 4x4 - safe, fun

bluesmobile, 06/01/2010

5 Speed manual. Recommended - if you find a good one. In my top 30 list out of about 300 vehicles I've driven (owned over 100 of them). Getting 26 mpg highway (60-65 mph), after switching to Amsoil synthetics in engine, tranny, and rear end. Recommend this for long life as well. Very safe - handles well (2 door not so much), ride is surprisingly plush and comfy, great visibility, likes to rev, will run all day 75. My wife and daughter really like it. Mine has 130,000 miles on it now and i think it'll make 250,000 if looked after. Manual tranny is weak link - watch out for grinding gears and 5th slipping out. Expensive repairs unless you're real handy.

Great Compact SUV

Jon, 09/15/2010

I really enjoy driving my RAV4. I use it mostly for short trip driving in town, highway driving,and light off road driving. It handles great, and works well in all weather conditions. I use it for light off road driving, in pastures and meadows for hunting and fishing, and it performs fine. I have the front wheel drive model, and it still gets me around in the outdoors. The ECT Power button is pretty cool, faster acceleration for fun, and more power for towing light trailers, or making it up steeper hills. The reliability is great,and I like the way it looks. Acceleration in town is alright, on the highway it gets the job done, but it seems a little slow. All in all a great little SUV.

Excellent!!!!

Mark, 07/27/2006

I cannot begin to say how good this car is. I bought it with only 50000 miles on it. It now has over 100,000 and has never had a single problem with anything in the car. I have found in my years of experience that toyotas are by far the best car on the market. They are sturdy reliable and are good even into the higher mileages. My next car will definitely be another toyota. Excellent car!!!

Toyota Rav4... Say no more!

Nathaniel Smith, 07/04/2017
4dr SUV

'98 Rav4, 70K miles, runs great, feels great, looks great, is great. Guys who know about old cars always stop, stare and compliment my ride. Several have asked if I bought it overseas... No! I bought it in the good ole USA. I found what I needed all in this oldie but goodie. My kids think its cute and they love it. I know I made the right decision. Did I mention only 70K miles??? Mint condition 9

Old Faithful

Carol, 04/13/2009

Finally replacing Old Faithful after over 10 very reliable years. Seats are losing their bounce and it's showing it's age a bit, but still runs like a charm. The 2.0 4cyl is a bit wimpy for hwy driving, but MPG is great. I truly wish the US would build affordable quality products. The materials/fit & finish are so chintzy in comparison, or incredibly overpriced. Looks like another import vehicle again for me.

Great Vehicle

MSB, 02/12/2010

Absolutely great vehicle. Bought with 112,000 miles- have driven for 1 1/2 years with no problems. Runs like a champ. Plan on giving to daughter to drive 5 years from now. Should easily get another 150,000 on this vehicle.

Awesome

Morgan, 06/01/2005

My Mom bought this car used in 1998, and puts absolutly hammered it with miles. We are now at about 205000 miles. But it has never had any major problems. It is a great car and I would recommend it to anyone. Especially with gas prices being the way they are. (27-29 mpg)

I love my RAV4

Massage Therapist, 10/13/2004

I purchased this vehicle in April 1998 so I could make out calls. My massage table fits so easily in the back, as does groceries and luggage. The car has taken me and my friend on many out of town trips. I have never had any mecanical problem. I have only done routine maintenance.There are no rattles nor are there any cracks in the dash. This is my 6th vechile and by far the best one I've owned.

51050