Used 2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 258 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (258 reviews )

I'm hooked!
By Ms Gee

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Be ready to SAVE $$$! The price, the gas mileage - savings is Unbeatable! Some people mistake this car for a lightweight on the road- but it actually holds its own next to the best of them. An under-rated gem. Get it before everyone else catches on. I am now spoiled and plan to buy Priuses long into the future.

to prius or not to prius-show me the money!!
By Henry Knodel

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

One owner, minor cosmetic repairs needed, good traveling car, more room than you would expect, no major repairs or issues.

Great
By Lloyd

200000 miles before any problems, a.c. Condenser

Had rare issue but bought another Prius
By Jason Anderson

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought a one owner 06 prius from a Toyota dealer with 160,000 miles for $7,000 3 years ago. We now have 204,000 miles on it and basically only put fuel and oil changes into it. 2 years I averaged 52mpg freeway driving. This last year was 48mpg at best and this winter we had the hybrid battery fail. The dealer asked to do a diagnosis because they were sure it would be something else but they ended at the same result. They said of all Prius cars they've sold (hundreds) and serviced, they track batteries and have replaced less than 20 hybrid batteries in total. All this said we liked the 06 so much we bought a 2010 used and look forward to having it for many years. I kept the 06. Dealer battery replacement is between $2000 and $3000. I think I can replace it with a refurbished battery off ebay myself for under $1000 and the rest of the car is perfect and good for many years. Just having shoulder surgery means that has to wait a few months which is why we bought the other prius. Overall these cars are the best I've owned for layout and general use/function. The hybrid battery was a surprise and following prius history I knew it wasn't the most common issue and these cars usually can go for over 300,000 miles. To be fair, I don't know the first 160,000 miles history, and I keep the car outside even through all the cold Wisconsin winters. When we decided to buy a different car, there was no hesitation and my wife and I agreed right away we only wanted to consider another Prius. That is not how we felt with all our other vehicle purchases.

Pruis Reliability
By Impressed Owner

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This has been a terrific vehicle. 196,000 miles and still going strong. Still have not had to replace the back rear brake pads. I drove this car up until 2013 and passed it along to my daughter and this is now her primary vehicle. Would certainly consider buying another Prius as a future vehicle.