Used 2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews - 284 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

2004 Generation Highlander Most Reliable
By Cal

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Own a 2004 Toyota Highlander. Other than routine maintenance, it has only needed timing belt changed (critical to do every 100,000 miles because a failure will destroy the engine), cat replacement at 220,000 miles, wheel bearings replaced at 200,000, front sway bar linkage replaced at 220,000, and corroded power steering hose replaced. Later Highlanders (post 2007) switched to a less reliable timing chain. If you want the good ones, go with 2003-2006. My mechanic says this generation Highlander is one the top three most mechanically reliable vehicles he has ever seen. I notice many of these 14 year old SUVs on the road. Can't say that about most 2004 vintage cars.

2004 Highlander---great quality/reliability
By Amy

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

2004 is before the electronics, so you wont find those in this model. I have owned this car since 2005---177,000 miles, no major repairs---just the routine tires, brakes, maintence and an alternator. Almost afraid to give it up.

OH WHAT A FEELING TO DRIVE A TOYOTA
By follow edmunds

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Never knew driving a toyota could be so much fun, this vehicle steers like a go cart it is super responsive on the road, the interior looks awsome,the lumbar support really helps me out greatly. The radio has some great sound loud and clear,the seating is super. Also she has real horse power on the 3.3, To be honest about the highlander its a beaut well worth its price and the re-sale value dont depreciate like other vehicles. THUMBS UP TO TOYOTA you got me.

My Baby
By John Zawisza

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this baby new in 2004 with the trailering package ,and have only used full synthetic oil. I never pulled anything with her even though I had the trailering package. I now have 221,000 miles on her, and she does not leak any of the full synthetic oil. I changed timing belt ( it is still intact hanging in my garage ) at 200,000. Other than batteries, tires ( only Michelin ), brakes and coolant flushing, I have had 3 repairs, as follows: 1) rack & pinion steering ( where I live we have two seasons winter and construction ( pot holes everywhere ). 2) power window not functioning ( I tried to open the window in friged weather and I caused the failure. 3) oxygen sensor at 210,000 miles. I think the trailering package helped with longer life on the suspension system and engine life ( larger transmission cooler ). She rides like a luxury car always has and still does !

Outstanding run
By Southern Patina

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

What great vehicle. At the time, the top of the line model with all the amenities you could want. Mechanically sound. Reliable, always. Maintained properly and currently at 208,000 with no sign of slowing down. Would recommend a Highlander any year, any model as an outstanding vehicle.