Used 2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews - 285 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Terrible!!
By Unhappy Car Owner

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This car has been the biggest let down yet. I absolutely HATE my Toyota Highlander with a burning passion. I've almost been hit multiple times because Toyota has created such a terrible car! Before owning this car (which I've had for three months), I owned a 2000 Buick Lesabre. I LOVED my Buick to death. That thing was such a smooth and comfortable ride, I miss it so much. Only reason I had to get rid of it was because the frame rusted thru (gotta love salt during winter season). Anyways, I had to find a new car fast because I needed to get back down to college (which is over 800 miles away). I found the Toyota, and although I had my doubts because I didn't really like how it looked or anything, everyone swore by Toyota and told me they love their Toyotas. So I took the plunge...and have regretted every day since. I obviously bought the car used and it had 132,000 miles on it. Previous owner claimed to be a retired Toyota car mechanic who repairs Toyota's now as a hobby. I bought the car for $5500 (mind you, I am a poor college student who had to take out a loan to get the car). Started having troubles from the beginning...noticed car had poor acceleration and gas mileage, brought it in, turns out it needed a new catalytic converter. That thing cost me $4000 to repair, so now I am $10,000 in debt for a still worthless car. I still have terrible acceleration, I almost get hit because my car decides to not accelerate while trying to merge onto a highway or even go through an intersection. My RPM runs low, and the mechanics (who say they've been working on Toyota's for 22 years) said they've never seen anything as bad as my car. I honestly feel so unsafe in my Highlander and cannot wait to get rid of it. DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!! IT IS NOT WORTH ANYTHING AND SHOULD NOT EVEN BE OUT ON THE ROAD IT'S THAT BAD!! I've had nothing but trouble. It's 90 degrees outside and I have to drive with my windows open because if I turn on the air conditioner I lose all power. The CD player doesn't even work anymore and my front bumper is falling down because the clips are all broken. I wish I could go back in time and not get this car because it is not worth the money, time, or headache.

2004 Generation Highlander Most Reliable
By Cal

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Own a 2004 Toyota Highlander. Other than routine maintenance, it has only needed timing belt changed (critical to do every 100,000 miles because a failure will destroy the engine), cat replacement at 220,000 miles, wheel bearings replaced at 200,000, front sway bar linkage replaced at 220,000, and corroded power steering hose replaced. Later Highlanders (post 2007) switched to a less reliable timing chain. If you want the good ones, go with 2003-2006. My mechanic says this generation Highlander is one the top three most mechanically reliable vehicles he has ever seen. I notice many of these 14 year old SUVs on the road. Can't say that about most 2004 vintage cars.

2004 Highlander---great quality/reliability
By Amy

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

2004 is before the electronics, so you wont find those in this model. I have owned this car since 2005---177,000 miles, no major repairs---just the routine tires, brakes, maintence and an alternator. Almost afraid to give it up.

OH WHAT A FEELING TO DRIVE A TOYOTA
By follow edmunds

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Never knew driving a toyota could be so much fun, this vehicle steers like a go cart it is super responsive on the road, the interior looks awsome,the lumbar support really helps me out greatly. The radio has some great sound loud and clear,the seating is super. Also she has real horse power on the 3.3, To be honest about the highlander its a beaut well worth its price and the re-sale value dont depreciate like other vehicles. THUMBS UP TO TOYOTA you got me.

My Baby
By John Zawisza

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this baby new in 2004 with the trailering package ,and have only used full synthetic oil. I never pulled anything with her even though I had the trailering package. I now have 221,000 miles on her, and she does not leak any of the full synthetic oil. I changed timing belt ( it is still intact hanging in my garage ) at 200,000. Other than batteries, tires ( only Michelin ), brakes and coolant flushing, I have had 3 repairs, as follows: 1) rack & pinion steering ( where I live we have two seasons winter and construction ( pot holes everywhere ). 2) power window not functioning ( I tried to open the window in friged weather and I caused the failure. 3) oxygen sensor at 210,000 miles. I think the trailering package helped with longer life on the suspension system and engine life ( larger transmission cooler ). She rides like a luxury car always has and still does !