Used 2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV Consumer Reviews - 72 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander Hybrid model:

Big, Comfortable, Roadworthy
By Jerry Crain

2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Traded the Highlander in with 127Kmi on the clock and got above wholesale trade-in value toward a new, 2017 Chevy Bolt. I envy the new owner of the Highlander as I will miss the commodious cockpit of the Highlander, but really wanted to go all-electric.

This is one of the most reliable cars I have ever owned. The sheer size of the interior was intimidating when I first got it, but the electric controlled, heated front seats, the adjustable back seats and even the tolerable 3rd row seats offer comfort in a quiet and temperature controlled environment. Road and wind noise is low throughout the cabin and the sun-roof provides a bit of fun in good weather. Bought it for the low-end (electric) power and AWD available to haul my 1-ton sailboat in and out of the sometimes very steep launch ramps at lakes around here ... It outpulls any pick-up I've seen to date - even the diesels. Had my first mechanical failure this month (on it's 10th birthday) - the water pump began dripping at 116,000 miles.

Beware of hybrid battery
By Matthew Fahy

Toyota doesn't have a proper alert system for the hybrid battery. The compartment can fill with water and ruin the hybrid battery, which is a $5k-$8k repair bill. With all the technology and alerts, why would they not have an alert for this critical and EXPENSIVE piece of the hybrid auto?

Highlander for high quality ride.
By Raghu

This one is a great car I ever owned. Ibought it in 2008 from dealer (newcar) and I still drive it and will drive as long as it runs. Few draw backs are there but no car is 100% great. Only draw back is the breaking system. At slow speeds up to 60 MPH breaking is ok. At high speeds above 60MPH the breaks some times does not work as you wish. I heard it is same with all regenerative breaks. If that is true you have to go through the learning curve. which means be careful in the begining. Other than that I have no complaints. The GPS system is aweful but that was in 2008. It might have improoved by now.

Low maintenance until you get the BIG BILL!
By Scott Hodges

We purchased a 2008 Highlander Hybrid in 2013. The car was practically maintenance free until last week. All service except oil changes have been done by the local Toyota dealer. My wife was pulling out of the driveway when the ABS/VSC lights came on and the console said to pull over. A code scan said it was C1391, internal acc pressure leak. Took it to the dealer. They said it needed a new brake accumulator and a new brake booster for a total of OVER $5000! Researching the issue, I found it is a fairly common issue for these cars. When I called Toyota to ask if the cost of this repair, equal to 1/3 the cost of the vehicle, could be mitigated, I eventually got a woman who told me that since I didn't take the car in to the dealer for nearly a year in 2015, I was not a loyal Toyota customer and they have chosen not to help me. REALLY!!?? The car didn't NEED any service during that time! I own 5 other cars including a couple of BMWs and I have NEVER had a repair this expensive and have NEVER been admonished by an automobile company representative for not getting a car serviced when it didn't need it. This was our first Toyota and will be out last.

The best car I have owned
By Ginny

Great reliability. No problems except needed to replace headlight glass due to sun discoloration. Only money I have put into car in 8.5 years are normal oil changes every 5000 miles and routine services. Great with 3rd row seat to use as needed or 2 row with plenty of cargo space. Visibility good. All seats comfortable. Even fits adults in 2nd row. Erdman row kids only. Love this car!