Used 1999 Toyota Corolla Consumer Reviews

Used Corolla for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...16

Pros
Cons

Trouble free and economical

bontempinc, 02/15/2003
VE 4dr Sedan

My '98 Corolla was a wonderful buy. 32 mpg in town and 41 highway. I could drive it for 9 hours without tiring. Changed the oil every 3000 miles and that was it.

Jane's sand colored car.

Jane Doe, 03/09/2002
LE 4dr Sedan

Great car, comfortable to drive.

Reliable commute car

Bo, 03/29/2006
VE 4dr Sedan

I have put 160K on it,in general its been reliable, no major problems. Its cheap to maintain and will run for long time. I have long commute and like to stay in fast lane all the time, enginee start burning oil when its about 120k, not very bad but the rear is "smoked", its very obvious on a white bumper. Also replaced the front struct at about 130k mile, I took it on to dirt road couple times on camping trips with few hundred pond load. Front hood paint has many large chips due to long hours on the road, steering wheel top portion wore out due to the sweat and sunshine, front windshield replaced due to cracks. Overall I recomand it to commuter who dont push it too hard

Great Car for the Money

basilisk4, 06/30/2003
CE 4dr Sedan

This is my second Corolla (the previous one having been a 1989), and I still love them. Despite what many car snobs have to say about the performance of the Corolla, I find it to be pretty darn good when you consider what else you get with this car -- safety and excellent reliability. The newer Corollas retain that safety and reliability and add a certain degree of style and performance, making for an overall excellent compact sedan.

Best bang for the hard earned buck

Carol B., 09/19/2018
VE 4dr Sedan

What does VE mean when you buy a 1999 Toyota Corolla sedan? It means very elemental. Which is just the way I like it. Simple and uncomplicated design. This car gets me where I want to go, which is why I bought it. No frills, but reliability. It's not perfect for sure. It seems lots of Toyota's suffer from paint oxidation due to not enough clear coat applied at the factory. Translation: peeling paint, which is not good. Also, the inside trim around the windows and doors cracks and eventually breaks off. And probably every Corolla owner knows about the cheapo door handles. I keep spare handles in my trunk. Other than the paint oxidation problem, I can live with the other issues. My 99' Corolla has 113,000 miles on it and I do my best to take good care of it. Another thing, it is relatively easy to fix minor problems yourself on this car. This 50+ yr. old female Corolla owner has replaced both inside and outside door handles, replaced the wiper fluid compartment, tail lights, wipers and air filters on my car. I'd change the oil myself ( my daddy taught me how), but I can't reach the oil plug from below. The 1999 Toyota Corolla VE is a no nonsense car for people who value substance over style.

12345...16