Used 2018 Toyota Camry Sedan Consumer Reviews

Used Camry for Sale
Select your model:
12345...55

Pros
Cons

TNGA Platform is wonderful

Jason H, 09/12/2017
XSE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 8A)

Purchased a XSE V6 (after considering Lexus ES, Audi S and BWM 4). The pictures do the car no justice-this is a beautiful looking vehicle in person. As such, I've gotten quite a few stares and inquiries as people try to figure out what kind of car it is, and there is a healthy dose of incredulity when I tell them its a Camry. And that's just the exterior. I have the Cockpit Red interior and it really sets the car off-it's WELL DONE. And it fits me well at 6'/280#, I'm as comfortable in this as I was in my 2008 Toyota Avalon XLS. I agree with the editorial review about the technology layout and functionality, and concur that the interior storage space is on the anemic side. The engine has just enough power to motivate you wherever you need to go when you need to get there without being petro-hungry. The 8-speed transmission will take some getting use to, and the handling and ride quality are great, what you would expect with 19" wheels with VR-rated rubber. The engine and exterior noise complaints aren't really an issue when the JBL Premium audio is on, so unless you are driving in silence, you won't notice it. Overall, I give the 2018 Toyota Camry XSE V6 a solid 4-star rating.

Great Car witha few overlooked items!

Brandon, 09/27/2017
SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 8A)

9000 miles now and just over a year of ownership. Entune and scout gpshas gotten much better and is usable now. Still not good but it's fine for occasional use. The car hasn't missed a beat. I have had zero problems with the car. First off I am not brand specific. I have owned 1 Mercury, 1 Honda, 1 Hyundai, 1 Chevy, 1 Kia, 2 Nissans, and 3 Mazda's. This is my first Toyota. The car has great safety features that come standard including: Automatic braking with forward collision warning, radar cruise control, and lane keep assist. But something's seem to have been forgotten probably to save money because these features come standard. Such as no push button start, poor interior dome lighting, and poor interior storage. The front map lights do not come on with the doors open. And no there is no setting that can be turned on. Just the very dim rear dome light is all you have inside at night when entering. The dome light is a regular incandescent bulb where as every other light is a LED. It looks out of place. Some models do have these things but my SE model does not. Also I am slightly disappointed that the car only has one 12v power outlet and one usb connector. Should have more for a family sedan. The connected Navigation thru Scout GPS is okay at best. Android auto would have been better. The shifting is very smooth but clearly geared toward economy. It tries to shift very early keeping rpms too low for the four cylinder engine. You have to give the throttle pedal a good push too keep the rpms up while accelerating. I would have liked to see the transmission programmed for more sport in the SE and XSE models. Really my gripes are very minor and I love the car. Now for the stuff I like. Exterior looks are personal but I love it. I never considered a Camry before this model. This looks dare I say sporty. It also driver very good. Handling and road holding are very good. Mine has the 2.5 four cylinder and acceleration as more than adequate. On our recent trip to Panama city which is 850 miles round trip the car averaged 42 mpg for the trip. Very impressive. Seats are fantastic and the car rides very well. The LED headlight are amazing. By far the best headlights I have ever had. My cars color is Galactic Aqua which is very dark metallic blue. I have received several compliments already on the color. I wont get into every aspect but overall this a very good car. I feel a few tweaks to some of the interior and this would be a great car. I am loving driving it and overall I love it.

Good Car With Terrible Infotainment

Scott, 10/06/2017
XLE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 8A)

I like the handling and performance of the car. The car is roomy for a mid-size and quite comfortable. The safety features are also very good. Unfortunately, the infotainment system is awful. Toyota has decided to develop its own system called Entune 3.0 rather than offering Android Auto and Apple Carplay. Obviously, Toyota is not a technology company. If I had it to do over again, I would not purchase a new Toyota until Android Auto and Apple Carplay are supported. I also have a 2017 VW with Android Auto and the difference is like night and day. Entune appears to be several years behind. Android Auto is MUCH easier to use and wil support many more apps. Problems so far with Entune 3.0: 1) Entune 3.0 doesn't seem to auto-start. I have to manually start Entune on my phone before it will connect to the car. This has to be done every time I get in the car and quickly becomes very frustrating. Android Auto will start automatically either by recognizing when the phone connects to the car's bluetooth or when the phone is plugged in to the car's USB port. 2) Entune doesn't support nearly as many apps as Android Auto. Specifically, it doesn't support the following apps, all fully supported by Android Auto: Google Maps, Waze, Google Play Music, Amazon Music, Audible, Tunein Radio, as well as several messaging, audio book, and podcast apps. 3) Entune comes bundled with Scout for GPS navigation. Scout is not nearly as capable as either Google Maps or Waze. Initial routes take a long time then rerouting because of traffic or a missed turn frequenly fails. Also, the U.S. version of Scout doesn't support Canadian maps. I live in upstate NY and drive to Canada quite frequently. Both Waze and Google Maps seamlessly support driving in Canada. Toyota really needs to get its act together because Entune is just unacceptable. Maybe a good temporary solution would be to enable running Android Auto and Apple Carplay under Entune 3.0 until an update can be offered to current and future Toyota owners that supports Android Auto and Apple Carplay natively.

How to ruin a great car

DisappointedOwner, 11/05/2017
XLE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 8A)

How to ruin a great car? Put the worst pos nav system in it and discriminate against people who don't have or want a smart phone. Seriously, not offering integrated nav as an option is the worst decision toyota has made. Everything else about the car is great but we like having nav that doesn't require two apps and then tells you to drive through a creek. Update 5/6/18: my opinion remains. Great car overall but I am still hugely disappointed about the Nav as well as toyota's "oh well" response. Many people have complained as well and I hope toyota would have had dealers offer to install the software. Guess not. Update 11/18: Nothing has changed. The car itself is good, though they really packed a lot of stuff into the instrument cluster which is difficult for older users to read and operate. I’m still very bitter about toyota stiffing us on Nav and this will honestly cause me to consider other brands when time comes to get a new vehicle.

REBUILD THEENTUNE APP AND DIM THE HEADLIGHTS...!!!

Mark F...., 01/27/2018
LE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 8A)

Replaced a 2011 Camry LE with over 205,000 miles on it with another new 2018 Camry LE. The price and dealership (Toyota of Slidell, LA) were great. While it's a nice car and it may be just a case of getting used to (I've been driving it now for over 2 months), there are a number of things that I notice everyday that irk me. ONE OF MY BIGGEST GRIPES IS THE ENTUNE 3.0 system and application and its interface with my current Android device. It requires uninstalling and reloading the apps, un-pairing and re-pairing the device several times a month with all data having to be reentered. IT'S 2018 AND PHONES AND CARS SHOULD INTERFACE WITH ONE ANOTHER SEAMLESSLY...!!! Too many states have hands-free laws and I have to hold my phone in my hand to make a call most days. The Scout GPS system is absolutely terrible. I have friends who have a KIA and when they start their car, their in-car systems virtually duplicates their phone on their dashboard. And it works too...!!! When I first paired my phone to the car, I was able to touch the microphone button, speak to the car microphone and get Google to give my an answer through the car sound system. After getting a software update for the Entune 3.0 App (from update 1000 to 1001) as it kept dropping out, when I touch the microphone button now all I get is a high-pitched squelch feedback squeal. It has nothing to do with the volume of the radio - it does it at all volume levels, even 01. Toyota Care told me that the earlier builds of the 2018 Camry fully supported Android and Google but that they dropped their support of Android and Google in later builds (I don't know how much truth there is to that claim). REGARDLESS, THE ENTUNE 3.0 App and the vehicle interface with my Android device is TERRIBLE...!!! I CAN'T WAIT FOR SOME 12 YEAR OLD TO COME OUT WITH ENTUNE 4.0..!!! A couple of other downsides - the passenger side glove box is too small and the center console storage compartment is too large and deep without storage segregation/shelving requiring that I use large plastic cups to organize its contents. FINALLY - the only other downside that I'm noticing is that the HEADLIGHTS ARE WAY TOO BRIGHT. Virtually EVERY TIME I'M IN THE CAR at night on a two-lane road, someone flashes me indicating I have my brights on. I end up flashing my actual brights on to let them know that - no, those are my regular lights. When passing a car on the interstate, I've had them get in behind me and light me up with their brights as if to say "you had your brights on me while you were behind me so I'm doing it back to you." I have had the light alignment checked by the dealer and it is correct and within specs. The lights do provide great light for me while driving at night, but they're obviously a safety hazard to oncoming drivers and those in front of my car. The 2018 Camry is still a great value for me...!!! HOPEFULLY TOYOTA IS READING EDMUNDS.COM AND WILL TAKE THIS LOYAL OWNER'S COMMENTS INTO FUTURE CONSIDERATION.

12345...55