2012 Toyota Camry Consumer Review: UPDATED REVIEW 06-27-2017

2012 Toyota Camry - Consumer Review

SE Sedan (3.5L V6 6-speed Automatic)

UPDATED REVIEW 06-27-2017
By ktb1 on

2012 Toyota Camry SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

A 60 year old baby Boomer in a car for a 30 Something ...UPDATED 06-27-2017
Purchased Aug 2012. 6CYL "SE" MODEL - My last review was in 2016. I still feel the same way that I commented in my last review about the tight bucket seats being uncomfortable for portly 50 and 60 year old baby boomers. I am still around 265lbs at 5'8" so I'm a big guy. When I sit in the buckets seats they uncomfortably squeeze me on both sides. (2017 UPDATE MY WIFE AND I SAT IN A RAV4, A NEW CAMRY, AND A NUMBER OF OTHER TOYOTAS AND STILL FEEL THE OVERALL DESIGN OF THEIR SEATS ARE TOO NARROW FOR FAT AMERICANS! The slightly stiffer "sport suspension" still makes the vehicle ride like a JEEP! This is a big deterrent to an enjoyable ride in this car. Every little bump!
And now onto the tires. Low profile, hard riding, difficult to maintain even air pressure. The "Grey" coated Aluminum wheels are the worst idea for this year model. When and if you inadvertently scrape them on a curb or such they cannot be touched up and look cheezey! (Thankfully they have been redesigned!)
The automatic tire inflation monitor on the cabin touch screen has proved to be helpful if checked every 2 weeks at least due to the low profile tires not being able to hold their air! I had the tires checked for balance and leaks and there are none but I'll be damned if I don't have to top them off every 3 weeks or so due to pressure loss. (By the way they are highly rated and expensive 40,000 mile Michelins) Very annoying. The so called "miles per gallon" gauge on the right side of the dashboard is downright stupid and of little use to the driver. Instead a much more useful item would be a little electronic compass that is based inside the rear view mirror and should be on all models and not just the "XLE". The so called "paddles" on the steering wheel on an automatic transmission vehicle are also pretty ridiculous and have no real value toward performance improvement and really should be eliminated. 6 cylinder engine: at 45700 miles on the car now, the engine is still youthful, flawless and has really impressive performance....pay attention or before you know it your doing 80MPH very easily. Highly responsive steering requires focus at high speeds. Unfortunately the narrow seats are a deal breaker for us so when it comes time for a new vehicle it will be a Nissan or a Honda. It's because there are very few fat Japanese car designers! So if your of "normal" weight and you don't mind the bumpy ride then go for it. P.S.- Had a 2003 Camry XLE 6cyl and it rode MUCH smoother and the cabin interior was wider and more roomy. Every time I reach down to use the electric seat adjustment I scrape the plastic panel on the inside door with my watch because it's such a tight space. That's also stupid. Other than that I like the car! LOL! I do plan to keep it for at least 10 years. It's a well built "American" Camry. Still "tight"...no rattles. Say that about a Chevy or Chrysler product. NOT.

• Outward visibility
  • Usb ports
  • Bluetooth
  • Resale value
  • Maintenance cost
  • Warranty

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By michaeld_utah
on 06/26/14 05:38 AM (PDT)

OK, so what you're saying is you shouldn't have bought the SE, as most of your complaints revolve around SE features, such as the extra side bolstering on the seats and the stiffer suspension. You have nobody to blame here but yourself.