Used 2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan Consumer Reviews - 41 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry Hybrid model:

My hybrid
By Prithi Gunasekera

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

It is a great car. If you are using the freeway often the Hybrid is no value. This is my 4th Camry and I have passed 200,000 thousand on all of them. If you keep the services upto date it will run for ever.

Ode to Almost Perfection
By Michael Rivas

Perfect in almost every way except trunk size. Ride is a little harsher than I would prefer but not a major issue

Perfect Second Car
By Ronald Wessel

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car is ideal for 'running around' - economical, reliable, comfortable enough, quiet, easy to drive, etc.

Been 3 years
By doug

Update below

I'm getting ready to do the 36 month sched maint (22,000 mi) and wanted to give my opinion on this car, bought it new.

Pros; comfortable on long trips, lots of power, haven't spent a dime on it

Cons; wind noise ft passenger side, mileage was 40 when new-last tank was 35, wish the trunk was larger, A/C smells moldy/musty sometimes

Update-12/16- 4th yr- abt 25k miles -Since the 3/36k warranty has expired I now do routine maint. annual oil/filter change myself-not a big deal. The A/C smell is gone since they did a recall on A/C condensate leaking on airbag relay. Average gas mileage is about 36MPG. Seats still comfortable, original Michelin energy saver tires (480AB) have abt 6/32" tread left, had to add air to all 4 tires at abt 23k miles, guess some of that 100% nitrogen leaked out. Exterior paint has several minor issues. If you look at an angle you can see defects in original paint job.

Update-6/17 abt 28k miles-only one change since last update. The 12V battery died, only warranted for 36 months, lasted 54. Dealer charged $280 because the battery is in the trunk and took 10 seconds longer to replace. Dealer also made me wait 3 hours to do the replace, they were "BUSY". Word of advice, there is an Exide FP-AGM24F direct replacement for almost half the price, change it yourself. Lesson here, don't go to dealer for 12V battery.

Update-6/18 abt 30,000-changing oil myself. Car requires 0W-20 synthetic. With Toyota filter and 5qts of oil I spend about $25 which is less than half the dealer cost to replace. MPG has dropped slightly, now getting about 38-37 mpg average in town and highway.

Surprising performance
By Dan B

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

During my test drive, we headed up a hill almost too steep for most cars. I could not tell we were inclined at all with no reduction in acceleration or increase in gas. I am constantly amased at the gas mileage and performance.

I did need to learn more about this car than the 2010 Camry Hybrid. The engine programming is different. The dead stop take off is different - don't floor it.

Air conditioning is special with no tie-in to the engine, no engine response to engaging the air.

The most enjoyable feature is the transmission braking. In stop and go driving, my foot hardly ever leaves the accelerator, let up and it slows down. No more use of gas sitting in stopped traffic.

Special purpose or benefit: I use the battery for 12 volts while camping. With the car close by, but out of monoxide poisoning range, I run the hybrid system to provide power for days on less than a gallon gas. I don't expect others to camp with the car, but it does some things others just can't.

While camping, I took the car up a very pot-holed, wash-boarded road in gravel raising 5,500 feet in 10 miles. When I got to the top I found two 80 year old ladies in an identical car. They beat me to the bottom of the mountain.

Still no rattles.
-------------
2016 update: no changes - note mismarked LE - it is the XLE Hybrid, lots more miles on the car, now at 72,000, but no new issues. I replaced the tires at 65,000 with the same style Michelin high speed tires. No failures or new problems. I found I know lots more about the car than the dealerships, so I don't let them touch it. No need to prove this, just ask a simple question or two about the Camry Hybrid - they don't know. Just ask how they can run with no fan belts.

Still I get the mileage I want at or around 40 MPG. Like many Hybrid owners, the mileage can be a bit of a game, if not too many people are driving around me. Some information on mileage: hills are a plus for this hybrid, keep tires a couple pounds higher, rain spoils mileage, the electric drive solo shuts down at 40 miles per hour, but can take over at any speed on the 2012 version. I have seen electric drive even at 70 mph, when the traction battery is at 100%.

One item unexpected, I have been hit with a powerful projectile (rock) at high speed, enough to almost cause concushion. The windshield is unmarked. Apparently it is extra thick to add noise reduction - this is the XLE quiet windshield.
--------------
2017 update
Traded in the Camry HB XLE for an Avalon Hybrid Limited. I wish I could have waited for someone to buy it as it was a creme puff. Probably the best car I will ever had! BUT the Avalon has way more goodies, radar, auto wipers,auto headlights with special light control, two electric seats with heat, same power - wow.