Used 2004 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews

Used Avalon for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...24

Pros
Cons

Avalon 04

Stan Mills, 11/12/2006

The feel and roominess are great, the noise level is very low. Handling is very good, and the ride is smooth. The power is adequate. The only item I am not happy with is the low actual milage compared with the listed average, which is 26 highway though listed at 30, and the town mileage of 20 which is not close to the 26 listed. Highway mileage at 60 mph average is 32, at 75 it is 25.

2004 XLS Avalon is a Keeper

Jim-n-IL, 07/12/2009

We bought our XLS at 30k and now have 120k. This car is truly the best bang for the buck on the road of any other. We recently had a screech when starting, and replaced starter, didn't fix prob, dealer thought flywheel, turned out to be battery! Features are superb and gas mileage is also. Driving slower (55-60) provides close to 30mpg, above 70 is 28 and less. Onboard computer gives immediate feedback for mpg. Roominess and reliability, not to mention all the options truly make this car a keeper. We recently researched others on this chassis, 00-04 and found several at 250k and up, so that makes us confident. We will keep this one until we get to that point. Why not save your money?!?!

Good car, enjoying it!

BHSK, 09/29/2003

I researched many consumer websites before purchasing. I was wanting a spacious, reliable, comfortable driving car. I know others who have purchased the Avalon XLS in recent years that are also very satisfied. We recently took a trip and the car handled very smoothly and quietly on the interstate. I had been driving a Cadillac Sedan Deville prior to my purchase and was not happy getting only 18/24 MPG with that vechile, even with premium gas. Also had a number of repairs each year, and the Cadillac parts were very expensive (struts, suspension sensor light, etc). Thus far, it has been easy to see why Avalon has won many "best buy" consumer awards.

Nice, clean car--SHARP!

Delia, 10/04/2019
XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Very smooth ride, A/C works excellently, no noises whatsoever---clean, smooth ride overall.

In A Class All It's Own

Evan, 03/25/2020
XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bench Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Last summer, My 1999 Camry V6 XLE finally bit the dust at over 250k. It had been a good car and I knew I wanted to stick with Toyota, but also was looking for a model with higher feature content. An Aunt of mine was looking to unload her 2004 Avalon XLS to replace it with the 2020 model. She drove it here and there, and after sixteen years, it had only logged a little over 91k. Looked showroom new and was well cared for over it's life so far. I went ahead and made the purchase and I am so glad I did. This big Toyota is far more robust than the Camry. I've always heard people say that the Avalon is a stretched Camry, which is theoretically true. Stretched Camry platform, similar powertrains. However, the cars seem to share little else in common as far as their overall personas. The Camry was slightly more pedestrian, even in XLE guise. They were nice cars either way, but the Avalon takes everything to an entirely new level. Distinctive and understated elegance is the best way I can describe the exterior. Clean, crisp lines and fine detailing that isn't overdone or obnoxious. It won't turn heads, but it exudes a quiet dignity and a small touch of prestige. I just love the interior. I have a model with the bench seat and column shifter. Very spacious and luxurious interior. The leather used seems of higher quality than might be found in an upper level Camry and there is simulated wood grain trim which adds a nice touch. Automatic climate control, heated seats, memory seats, multi info display as well as touches like the wood grain trimmed steering wheel all add to a feeling of opulence and luxury. More sound deadening materials are obviously used as well. The car is amazingly quiet. I get the usual wind noise at highway speeds, but it seems more hushed. In city driving I can't hear much of anything at all, other than the radio. Gas mileage is about what I would expect for a car of this size. Nothing too spectacular, but not dismal either. Some features take some getting used to if you haven't had them before. VSC (Vehicle stability control) is a great feature that aids braking in panic situations to help avoid an accident. It is welcome here. Due to this car's larger dimensions, there is a little more play in the steering as opposed to the Camry. I once activated it in a turn and a beeping warning comes on to let you know it activated. In panic situations it will also apply full braking power regardless of if the driver takes their foot off the pedal or not. You will feel this sensation of the braking engaging. Was a little unnerving the first time with this car on I-25 in Denver, but I realized that it was a feature of the car and have gotten used to it. I really like this car so far and I'm sure with proper care, it will last forever. Very solid, quality vehicle. It's not too hard to find clean, low mileage Avalon models. They aren't popular with the younger crowd. There are many well cared for examples. If you haven't thought about it or have been curious about these cars, they are definitely worth a look.

12345...24