Used 2001 Toyota Avalon Sedan Consumer Reviews - 69 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Avalon Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Greatest car ever
By Eddie

2001 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan w/Bench Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 01 in 2007, and have now owned it for 11 years. IT IS THE BEST CAR THAT I HAVE EVER OWNED!!!

Tough as nails, but built for comfort
By Glenn MacNichol

2001 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The Avalon from 2001 shows me the main reason Toyotas has a reputation for durability. Maybe other Toyotas are not as reliable as this model and this year, but this one, purchased new, has never broken down in 18 years. No more than regular recommended service, and after 216,000 miles, still going strong. No rust, no mechanical failures, ever, and still getting 30 mpg hwy and 25 mpg city out of the V6. Amazing.

Beauty in reliability
By Kev Rock

2001 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

If you're looking to get an affordable used car that won't be need constant repair, buy this car! I got this car from my wife, we bought it with 170k now 193k and aside from fluid changes, tires, brakes and struts, this thing is rock solid. Tons of room in the back seat for my kids and even a guitar amp. Huge trunk. I drive 30+ miles a day for work and it starts like a champ every day. Great interior, well thought out, aftermarket parts easy to get. Only gripes are the 6CD changer stopped working, can't get the CD's out. Repair to the CD unit is $250. At this age, the subwoofer cone will be shot, but easy to rebuild it yourself for $30 with a kit from Simply Speakers dot com. JBL system sounds awesome.

Adding to the Echo Chamber in Here: Great! Best!
By Guoster

2001 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bench Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Rather than repeat everything that others have said about how awesome this car is, I'll only add what hasn't been said.
HANDLING/STEERING:
This is not a sports car. I am still pleasantly surprised at how well it can corner despite its weight, and how tight, but light, the steering response seems to be. I upsized my rims, and it has improved my handling. See Style section for more details.
RELIABILITY:
I'm a stickler for preventative maintenance, as in, I follow the book to the 'T'. It's my bible. This car has done one thing; destroyed my OCD around maintenance. I realize all of the maintenance on a car has significant safety factors built in, especially from Toyota; a super conservative company. But I felt like I had 80% of the life left in all components I've replaced to date. The biggest scheduled maintenance I've done is the timing belt. Along with it I went ahead and did the water pump, pulleys, tensioner, camshaft actuator, and the two seals. Well, when I asked for my old parts to take a look at wear, they looked new. NEW! Seriously, the old timing belt still had the white Toyota logo on it still. Well, at least now I know, even after 90k miles I could've probably gone to 150k easily, if not 200k. Well, I’m only at 94k, so I will likely never have to replace any of those components ever again for the life of this vehicle. My only worry is that I used Denso parts rather than exact originals (Aisin, etc.), but it’s supposed to be OEM spec. so hopefully no issues there. Been going full synthetic oil for the engine (runs better and sludge prevention), and regular schedule on transmission and coolant. Nothing exciting there, except that I probably could have easily gotten double the mileage between changes for all of these fluids. I don’t drive like a grandpa either, despite this car’s image, I’m a 27 year old male (see Style section for more on that). Don’t get me wrong, I’m not advocating for you to prolong the recommended service intervals, I’m simply stating what Toyota enthusiast have known for years: Toyota over specs. GREATLY. This behavior is awesome for us consumers.
My only unscheduled maintenance was an O2 sensor back at 40-50k miles.
STYLE/LOOKS/FIT/FINISH:
This car has some nice thick high quality paint. Mine still looks mostly new, just a few chips and dings due to it being 16 years old, but probably far less of such things than a lower quality car’s paint. As a whole this car polishes up really nice still to a mirror finish, and from 5 ft away looks new. The leather is still in tip top shape, the only seat I refinished myself was the drivers, and now the whole car’s interior looks like new again. I try to clean and condition the leather a few times a year, but nothing indicates that without this it would be in any worse shape.
Now, for the biggest update to the style in my opinion: NEW RIMS! I mentioned I was a 27 year old guy, well, after getting some nice 18” rims, the whole look of this vehicle is totally different. I personally disliked the bland appearance prior, but put my ego and image in the backseat. Little did I know that such a simple change would be such a drastic change! This thing actually looks….dare I say…sporty now. It definitely fits me much more, it now has the same likeness to the Lexus IS series from the same generation (which makes sense as it’s probably a very similar platform). It’s the look without the harsher, louder ride though; I haven’t noticed any difference in the comfort!
TAKE A LOOK AT THE PICTURES, YOU’LL BE AMAZED: http://imgur.com/a/1RS2R

2001 Avalon
By Steven Brehmer

2001 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Very well built car. Comfortable, quiet interior, smooth ride, plenty of room, power and very dependable! Third timing belt, new radiator, new knock sensers $$. The car now has 182,000 mi.