Used 1998 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews - 54 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Original Owner
By ThisIsTheList

1998 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1998 Toyota Avalon in 1998. It's still my car. I've put thousands into it over the years -- but we're talking 20 years. If I ever get another car in my life why wouldn't I get an Avalon?

Great car though had some repairs
By V. Ott

1998 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

Update: I love this car. It is so comfortable, easy to drive & the leather is far better than in newer cars. I have tried to buy a new car though the comfort & ride of this car surpasses in my humble opinion than newer ones. Then this one keeps going so why invest in a new one.:)

Bought in 2002 with 51,000miles, now has 183,000miles, paid $20,000 for it put in about $7,000 in repairs since purchase besides oil changes, 60k, 120k & 180k mile services. Been very dependable though had to replace struts, radiator, both front & rear brakes twice, rack & pinion, idle stabilizer valve, thermostat housing, water pump twice, R-side engine mount, front & rear engine mount, two lower control arm bushing, had oil leak twice, rebuild pump & few other items. Timing belt twice once at 90K & another at 183K as recommended by my repair guy.

Most Reliable! Fantastic! Safe Car Ever
By jayvon97

1998 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 98 Avalon in July of 2014 for $400 at the dealership I worked at. When I bought it, it had 178,000 miles exactly. It had some minor problems such as it needed tires, brakes, a tie rod, and a fog light bulb. I did a oil change the day I bought it, got tires 2 months later. Eventually the brakes started to grind so I replaced those to. I am a teenager and I have a heavy foot, and this car was very responsive. I would race my friends who had newer cars and this car never failed to let me down. It was my baby honestly and I even named it Snow White LOL! I sadly got into a accident with it in January and it was totaled with 191,348 miles. I cant wait till I can get another Avalon.

Sunroof, V6 engine, comfortable leather interior, body styling, Just the car itself is amazing.

I have no complaints what so ever, this car was perfect and would be perfect for a family or a first car.

Smokin' engine... literally
By tallchris01

1998 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

I bought this Avalon having owned another 1st generation Avalon.
Didn't figure I'd need to have a PPI, but I should have gotten one.
Turns out the engine was a smoker.
Despite replacing the valve seals and spark plugs, it continued to smoke.
Quickly re-sold it.

Split seating up front, with a fixed center console. Sunroof! Ease of maintenance. Lots of legroom.

I think I missed an engine recall. Oh well, it was 3 years ago.

Toyota, Need I say more?
By enigmadtop

1998 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

I take this car up to big bear with a full car (6 people, the center front armrest comes up and has a seatbelt underneath) and it has never broken down on me once. The ride going there is completely smooth cruising at 80 mph, even though the Avalon's engine has more than enough power to go over that even with a full car. It has no trouble getting up those steep hills and is my car of choice when driving up to the mountains every season. It also survived a trip all the way to Sonora in Northern California from San Diego with a very steep mountain to climb at the end as well. Again, the car did not disappoint. Would highly recommend this car to anyone looking for an extremely robust vehicle.