Used 2001 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews - 81 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Great car expect to go another 100,000 miles.
By peter barry

2001 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

It was a 1999 and runs well. Ride a bit bumpy. Comfortable and reliable

Great Car!
By Charles

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

These cars are extremely reliable! I have had my 2001 4runner with 200,000 miles on it for 13 years. These things will climb anything, and the only problem i have ever had with it is that when it is rainy, the alternator belt squeaks. Overall, these cars are incredibly amazing!

Great vehicle except for typical Toyota rust
By EJG

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought mine used with 125,000 and sold it with 185,000 several years later. Mechanically it has been great, only did typical maintenance and some smaller repairs, such as a tune up, timing belt. It did need and axle seal and bearing, water pump and A/C compressor, ABS pump and a few other items later on. However, with approaching 200,000 miles it still had the original engine, transmission, all suspension and differentials and drive like it had 50,000 miles on it. No squeaks, rattles and just a pleasure to drive. My biggest disappointment was how bad it rusted out. The frame rusted through by the lower control arm perches in the rear. I had it repaired and a few years later it rusted out right next to the repairs. The frame was literally rusting from the inside out and flaking apart, even after I caught it soon after purchased and had it rust proofed three times. By 185,000 the rocker panels were also rusting though, even after rust proofing and trying to prevent any corrosion. Unfortunately after worrying about the compromised safety of it since I used it to transport my 2 children I had to trade it in. It is probably one of the best vehicles I have owned but with the frame crumbling it has made me have second thoughts about Toyota build quality, especially with no recall for it offered by Toyota. If looking at one I would suggest finding one from the southwest or pacific northwest, somewhere free of road salt and have it thoroughly inspected.

Bombproof, useful, reliable truck.
By Chris

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought one as a second vehicle in 2014 with 200k on the odometer after looking around Craigslist for several weeks and inspecting a handful of 3rd generation 4Runners. After finding the cleanest single-owner vehicle with service records, I bought it for $5500 and it now has just over 210,000 on it. I've done very little to it, except drive it on weekends, feed its rather thirsty appetite for gas, change the oil annually, and keep it clean. One notable minor repair has been made: Check-Engine light was on when I bought it and couldn't pass emissions as it were, so I pulled the code and traced it to a faulty charcoal canister near the fuel tank. I found a used one on an auto parts salvage website for $95 and replaced it myself in 2 hours, cleared the code, and saved about $600 from going to a mechanic for a new part. Another minor modification has been made: I added a transmission oil cooler outside the radiator to bypass the internal oil cooler inside the radiator. It is a known and well-documented risk that the internal cooler is prone to corrosion and eventually leaking engine coolant into the transmission oil, thus ruining the transmission. Both of these jobs were clearly explained in numerous Toyota forums and YouTube videos. Overall, the internet forums have thousands of posts pertaining to these trucks and the support community of fellow owners is fantastic. This vehicle is a truck and it rides like one. Interior is basic and functional, but even after 16 years, everything works and nothing doesn't. It is by far the most reliable and well-made vehicle I've owned. I could sell it tomorrow for exactly what I paid for it. How many other vehicles could you say that about?

Love this SUV!!
By Rolly

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this brand new few days before 9/11. I am very happy owning this vehicle up to now 04/09/2016 (154,000 miles). I have very few issues - the gas tank and the easily rustic chassis. The rest of the vehicle I did not find any problems. With the gas tank, I found having a hard time pumping gas. The gas dispenser nozzle suddenly clicks even when the gas tank is half empty. I brought my 4Runner to a mechanic and he told me their is a problem with the tank (one of the valves is not functioning - the valve closes easily and tries blocking the flow of fuel into the tank. In this situation, the gas pump thinks the tank is already full therefore disengaging the flow by a clicking sound. I just don't know if other owners of this vehicle suffer the same fate as I am. With the rustic chassis, I always washed the vehicle especially after a snow storm (leave in New Jersey). Salt accumulation under the chassis creates oxidation (rust). I spray rust remover upon seeing rust spots under the chassis and around the exhaust system. I used metallic brush to scraped the rust and apply rust remover and dried the surface before spraying with pain primer then applying protective black metallic paint over the primed areas.