Used 2003 Suzuki Aerio Sedan Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Aerio for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Great Car

mancow, 11/08/2012

I bought this car new in 2003 My work round trip is 184 miles my car just went over 402000 miles I have had no problems. Just oil changes and two set of brake pads and at 250000 clutch presure plate thowout bearing all which are wearout parts.

LOVE MY SUZUKI

kellynulf, 08/13/2013

I bought my Suzuki with 6 miles on it back in 2003. It now is hitting over 190,000. It has been an amazing car. There have been a few issues. A CD got stuck in the CD player and now that doesn't work. The radio still works fine though. The light on the clock doesn't work, even with replacement fuse. I did start having issues the last 2 years with the heat shield clamps rusting. Overall I will be very sad the day "Shelly" takes a dump.

Love it-still running great.

dwvb, 10/18/2016
GS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car used from a friend in like new condition. car was bought as a first car for my daughter, she has been driving it for over 4 years. She wasn't crazy about the car when i first bought it. Her complaints: You can not see the front bumper, you must allow extra turning room, extra room in front of you when driving, watch for curbs-ours sits low to the ground-previous owner added things to make it sporty looking. She loves it now--she would not give it up if you asked her too. I have kept up the servicing and except for the expensive cost of brakes and tires- I have had no other cost but oil changes and regular keep up. I Have been told by the guy who services it that parts for it are hard to get for it and that new parts for it usually need to be specially ordered and shipped in from over seas. Our car named Midnight has 94 thousand miles, 48 thousand miles of it is ours-due to her n collage. Car is still running strong, runs great on high grade fuel. As of 4/25/2017; {please remember we purchased our vehicle from someone we knew-not from a dealer. There was no warranty on it when we bought it.} i am still keeping up on the regular servicing for my daughter. Our guy that services it-checks everything, and i mean everything-including the cars wipers when i bring it in. Except for having to replace the radio/disc player that stopped working, I have had no other major repairs/there has been no big issues. Midnight is still running great and has almost 103 thousand miles. Today my daughter swears her car gets 36 miles to the gallon. it is more reliable then any of our other vehicles. Starts up and goes everyday. It even runs wonderful in the snow. We have no complaints. My daughter says she loves it and has us on the look out to pick up a second one in case something happens to Midnight-but at this time we haven't had any luck. I agreed on looking for the 2nd because I couldn't ask for a better car for her.

Love my little mobile bubble

mmaddalena3, 08/19/2012

If you don't mind looking like you're driving around in a gigantic bubble-then this is the car for you. I'm 5'11 and my husband is 6'4 and this car has enough room for us and our family of giants. I have had this same car for about 7 years now, used, and I haven't had trouble with driving in the snow. I owned it through the summer in South Florida and through the "sno-maggedon" in Virginia and found it to be a great vehicle for either location. I will agree it's basically plastic but I was side swiped a few years ago and it kept me safe. The cables on the battery though do fray so keep an eye under the hood ever so often. Otherwise it's money well spent.

dependable fun driving car

tim ashley, 12/13/2015
GS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Great little car I bought for my daughter's first car and 4 years later she's still driving it.Our only major problem was the transmission.It was blamed on the tow truck for towing from the rear after a little mishap she had at a local sonic.Word of advice if ever get towed have them to load on a roll off and not towed from the rear.It burned out our tranny.Other than that,we had headlights replaced and very bad design on that deal,gotta pull bumper off for that.We have put 123,000 miles on it and have not a problem.We also changed wheels and tires to give more ground clearence. Pulled off all emblem's and had them powdered coated a light bronze color to match wheels now it's a head Turner.Best foreign car we have owned(next to my Nissan pu).

Love my car

R G, 08/06/2016
GS Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Okay, so my car is 13 hears old. I bought it used as a rental when it was a year old. It doesn't have any of the bells and whistles like the new ones do. Although mine did come with a 5-CD player. I've never had to do any major repairs, all I've ever had to do was regular maintenance (which does include some hoses, etc.). My milage is closer to 26 to 28 mpg or better. I do have two complaints: 1. It's too low to the ground. I've tore my bumper up on parking curbs. 2. It doesn't have enough room between the seat and the petals--for me, I have long legs for a woman--I use the same length as a 6'2" man on the truck I drive for work. Otherwise it's been a great car. Dependable, comfortable, and economical.

Best Car Ever Owned

Katherine Razzi, 06/09/2017
S Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My 2003 Suzuki Aereo has been the best car I ever owned. Of course, being garage kept has a lot to do with it, but it has only needed the bare minimum of maintenance for a lot of driving. Highway driving too!! With over 200,000 miles, she still keeps up with the fastest and picks up speed quick when needed. My only problem has been with the A/C. Had 2 mechanics try to fix it and the 1st put in a brand new compressor. Hopefully it can be repaired. Gets mighty hot around here in the summer! I saw an Aereo just like mine list for $5K. It's a good deal if she was well-kept. I intend to keep her for another 10 years if she'll have me!

Great car with great mileage

John, 06/08/2010

This car has been great. I bought it three years ago with 32,000 for $4500. I am now at 180,000 and still going strong. The only problems I have had is struts and CV axles, nothing else. I would recommend these cars to anyone wanting a cheap transportation option.

Basic car... Awesome reliability

aerio1, 05/30/2009

I bought this car off my buddy who sold it to me with only 30K miles on it. I have put 20K on it so far. I agree that bumpers are kinda low. The interior is basic. It has a surprising amount of head room despite looking small from the outside. I disagree with Edmund's mileage assessment. I ALWAYS get above 30 mpg. (I have the 5 spd manual). I plan to drive this car in to the ground and hope to get 300K miles. The only bad thing about this car is that if you get dings and such, you can only get Suzuki parts (can be expensive relative to Toyota/Honda). If you have a Civic or Corolla, there are TONS of aftermarket companies that make parts.

Driving in an egg

silkyfurz, 02/28/2003

Six months old, less than 2,000 miles, three bumper replacements - 2 front, 1 rear.

Suzuki Aerio

Amandam19, 07/30/2004

I love my car! The only dissapoint I see with it is lack of storage. There is a CD player, but no where to keep cd's! There is no center consol! That would be about the only thing! Its great on gas!

Never thought I'd buy one

richmini99, 06/16/2003

For the money, I just couldn't pass on the Aerio. we also looked at the Matrix/Vibe, Protoge 5, and the Focus ZX5. The Matrix/Vibe just wasn't that comfortable, and to get a version with any power, it would have coast us $5000 more than the Aerio. The Protoge 5 was suprisingly small inside and didnt exhibit the performance that it's apperamce suggested. the ZX5 was ok, and the $3000 back also madeit look attractive, but at the end of the day, I just couldn't get past the fit and finish of the car. The Aerio SX gives you flexability, and performance at a great price. The build quality is on par with the offerings of the Hondas and Toyotas or the world.

Love this car (even after 94K miles)

Anonymous, 06/11/2008

This is the bang for your buck by far. The best purchase I have ever made. I purchased my slightly used 2003 4 door S trim sedan in 2004 for just under $10K. It now has 94,000 miles and I've never had a problem with the engine. I have only had minor problems with the cd player and the piece of the bumper that detaches to minimize damage from towing. This car is incredibly reliable, has good pickup, and is safe and fun to drive. The cabin and trunk are very roomy despite the small appearance of the car. The height of the cabin is great for tall people.

Poor exterior

OkByMe, 01/06/2009

The car is fun to drive and has been reliable. I like the standard features. I've put an additional 70,000 without a mechanical problem, however the body integrity is poor. The bumber is too low and scapes on too many things. The bumber is ready to fall off. Also the 6 CD play no longer works, some dash lights don't work properly. Gas mileage is so-so. It has worked well but I would look at a Toyota first.

Reliable but the body stinks!

April, 09/13/2009

I bought my Suzuki in 2003... OH I was in love with it and I still love this car. The gas mileage... you can really depend on this car! However you should know that the body was made very cheap. Every Suzuki I see on the road is missing the same front and back pieces on the front and back bumper... both pieces fell off on their own. Of course in 2009 I had well over 130K miles on this baby because I traveled A LOT in it so my car never had any major problems... Another thing you might want to know is if you get into an accident with the body parts being so cheap your car will most likely get totaled. I know this because someone hit my car while it was parked last Saturday and totaled it!

happy/unhappy

terry goins, 05/12/2010

miles good/gas good ride is great.body work could have been better,bumpers front and back had to replace both too low to ground.radio,cd player out sometimes the radio will come on but not stay on station.has to replace four other parts,i change my all my oils and fluides on reg basis.wheel bearings out on front wheel hard to find parts.

just the best

radnel justine, 12/10/2002

just the best value in a compact vehicle and a smart value too.

alot for a little

dave johnson, 01/07/2003

I think they did a great job. For the money the car has everything I need Lots of room.Good looks. Pepy engine. list of standard features like CD Radio,kicken speakers,digital dash.rear floor heat,theatre seating {kids and rear passengers less likely to get car sick because of better visability}and my list could go on forever

greatcar

averageguy, 07/12/2003

I had been researching cars for several months looking for something different. I didn't realize that suzuki made cars. When my wife and I went to look at them in person we were instantly sold. Now I couldn't pry her from that car if I wanted to.

Comfort beyond believe......

Ronald Hill, 07/27/2003

This vehicle is exceptionally comfortable to drive it took me by suprise the way it handle on the highway,this is a nice car to have for road trip.

Great Car

prices, 08/06/2003

We purchased car for our daughter to take to school. This car rides like a big car and gets 29 miles to the gallon. Very pleased with car.

good car watch resale value

belden, 05/30/2005

Have enjoyed this car. Moves well although not so fast at picking up speed and up major hills works hard. Winshield defrost is not so good. The left and right sides of windshiel do not defrost well. Usually have to scrape when frosted. Side mirrors not too stable, jiggle in the wind. Overall, decent car if you can get at a decent price.

Dirt cheap and FUN!

LiquidZero, 12/04/2003

First off, I got a sweet deal buying this car, and walked out the door paying only $12,000. Now that's out of the way... this car is simply fun to drive for an econobox. It may not be the fastest car around, but it surprises a lot of people with it's pep. Plenty of headroom and storage room. With a 5- spd it gets great gas mileage. Much better than the EPA estimates. Handles well in turns, if just a bit hesitantly. There is significant body roll, because of it's height, but I've never felt like it was about to lose contact with the road. A bit too early to say anything on reliability, but so far so good.

AERIO IS WONDERFUL

magnum1, 12/07/2003

It's the best car I have ever owned. I love my 2002 Suzuki AERIO GS. I purchased it in July of 2002 and now have 35,000 miles on it and haven't spent a dime on it except for oil changes and general maintenance, which is very little. This includes changing transmission fluid (standard) and flushing the radiator.

Zippy

Night Rider, 12/21/2003

I previously had a much more expensive car. I had some the options on it bur costed much more. The value of the car is great. You really get alot for the money.

Excellent, Every Respect

Westmillguy, 01/10/2004

An absolutely great car in ever respect. It's very nimble thus fun to drive. Just had the opportunity to experience the all-wheel drive in snowy conditions, performed exceptionally well! The car has lots of nice features including a super 6-disc cd changer, fog lamps, overdrive, cruise control ad on and on. This one was built in Japan and is tight with body panels well- fitted. Super warranty program!

GREAT car

Flanders, 01/21/2004

I bought this car as it was coming off of a rental. Even after being beaten to death as a rental car, it is still holding up WONDERFULLY. It is my first car and I have had experience driving many different vehicles, I must say it is an awesome car to drive. Very fun. Very comfortable. I like that it's built for "real" sized people. I am 5'9", my brothers and dad are all well over 6 feet tall and none of us have any qualms about head or leg room.

Aerio-DYNAMIC

brotherburce, 02/20/2004

Assets: Edgy design, interior space and huge trunk. A calm 2-litre engine with timing chain. Efficient 3-speed overdrive automatic transmission; override feature enables high speeds in steep climbs. Highway mileage: high 20's local and 30 highway. 6 speaker CD: crisp and rich sound. The digital instrument panel and HVAC cluster complements edgy styling. Drawbacks: The upholstery attracts dirt, lint and fuzz. The headrest design makes it difficult to check out traffic flow. Passengers could use more storage. The dealership network is far too thin.

Best Buy

PromoGirl, 02/28/2004

I drove a Honda Accord, followed by an Olds Alero (CRAP), and this is by far the best price, and most comfortable. Great visibility, large windows, and lots of energy. First car I've had without power locks and a sun roof, and dont miss them at all. This car is way too much fun! And there arent too many of them on the road.

The best

gregeber, 03/07/2003

price $15000 plus for the 5speed GS alloys and spoiler and it has some nice things for it price

Well Equipped for the Price

chilaxin, 08/16/2006

The Suzuki Aerio has a lot of options for the price and it's the only compact car you do not have to be a contortionist to drive.

who knew ?

R_ALPH, 05/12/2004

WHO KNEW SUZUKI AERIO IS SUCH A NICE CAR. I LOOKED AT AND DROVE LANCER, CIVIC AND COROLLA, BUT LOOKING FOR SOMETHING AFFORDABLE RELIABLE AND FUN ISN'T EASY. THE OTHER BRANDS OFFER CHEEP MODELS AS WELL, BUT IT'S HARD TO CALL THEM "WELL EQUIPPED" OR SPORTY.

Love this car

Junglegirl31, 05/16/2004

This car makes my hour-long commute strangely enjoyable. Great for both city and highway driving. It is a smooth ride with great pickup with 145 horse power. Both looks and performance make this a very fun and practical car. Well worth the money.

Fun, economy, and unbelivable space

jiggha, 05/30/2004

Fun, economy, and unbelivable space

Suzuke Aero GS Sedan

suzuki000001, 07/10/2004

Well built, handles well, good performance for the fuel mileage. Averages 30mpg

Beware

Dinslaken, 10/28/2006

This car has a lot of value for the money and the first 48,000 miles were trouble free. The engine needed oil frequently, which is not that bad, but despite more maintenance than required, the engine blew at 48,560 miles, then the transmission went at 54,000 miles. The axle seals were replaced twice, and the brakes need replacement about every 10,000 miles. The worst part is that Suzuki refused to honor their "Best Warranty" on both occasions due to "lack of proven component failure." According to other owners, this problem is increasing. Suzuki was sued for both instances, and we were reimbursed by court order. Other than that....nice car!

Can Anyone Get Parts for These Cars?

dnrportch, 01/19/2007

You can't get parts for the Aerio in a timely manner. Example one: the transmission went out in 2006. It was still under extended warranty, but it took 6 weeks to get the parts and it had to be repaired twice. We have a great dealer. It's the car and the factory. The car runs fine now. Example two: after a low speed collision with a deer (he jumped on the hood while chasing another deer across the road in front of us!) we had two dealers try to order replacement parts on three separate occasions. The parts never arrived! It's been eighteen months. You should also know that the car is terrible in wet snow or snow over ice. It is geared too powerfully relative to the weight of the car. I like the gas mileage it gets, but would not buy another.

OK BUT NOT GOOD ENOUGH

MONSTER, 04/25/2003

I WAS ACTUALLY DISAPPOINTED AND SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT THE MITSUBISHI LANCER

What a fun little car!!

ACERANGER, 11/08/2007

I purchased my Aerio with 67k miles on it and man what a great little car! Great price point and good gas mileage. It is fun to drive and as a bigger guy I found myself strangly comfortable in this car and not pressed up against the window like some other cars. Overall a great and dependable car. Only thing I did was get 15" rims and tires, which helped with road noise and turning performance.

Good value, exactly what I expected

brian, 03/09/2008

This has been a good car, mostly short range commuting first few years now my college kid son has it and puts few hwy miles on it. Excellent fuel economy, sporty ride and looks. Had to put a new clutch in at 53k. Possibly due to some student drivers learning to drive a manual trans. The wobbly side mirrors are a recall item I have not got to yet. CD player has a disc stuck in it, outside temp light is burned out... minor things that can go after many years of good service. Never let me down mechanically. As is probably the norm, wife gets the nice ride, kids get the safe, dependable ride.

Traded in my Aerio after 2 MO/8K CAUTION

gkxp, 06/29/2003

In April, I bought a 2003 Suzuki Aerio S. The low price, black interior, 145HP Engine and digital dash sold me. Now in June and after 8000 miles, I traded it in. Reasons? VERY BAD handling in windy/highway driving! Black fabric on driver's-side door trim armrest is already pealing off. Be forewarned if you do a lot of highway driving as I do. Depreciation Percentage higher than others in class.

51050