Used 2013 Subaru Outback SUV Consumer Reviews - 97 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Subaru Outback SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Oil guzzling noise maker
By Lori

2013 Subaru Outback SUV 2.5i 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I wanted this outback so badly that I bought it used in 2015 and didn’t realize there were already reports of trouble with this year model. I went from adding a little extra oil now and then to a quart every 500-600 miles. And then, a noise developed. It got louder. And louder. AND LOUDER. Apparently it’s the transmission. (You can find multiple videos of 2013’s with the same problem online.) Repairs would be more than the car is worth. I’m disappointed to say the least, and won’t buy another Subaru.

Least reliable car I've owned.
By Matthew

2013 Subaru Outback SUV 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

To be fair I drove the heck out of it. Putting on 143k in 5 years. But 3 out or four wheel bearings had to be replaced at just over 100k, recently costing me $1800. And now the car is junk at 143k - full exhaust system including 3 catalytic converters would need to be replaced for around 4k, and my mechanic doesn't recommend doing because it was caused by excessive oil consumption - a known issue by Subaru (there is a class action suit but no recall). I spoke with Subaru national and the dealer today who both said something to the effect of 'sorry buddy, have a nice day'. I used to be a fan, but I will never buy another Subaru.

My first and possibly only Subaru Outback
By John Winter

2013 Subaru Outback SUV 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this car primarily for its reliability and that it has been. I have only been back to the dealer once for a recall and that is it. The only part I purchase from the dealer is the gasket for oil changes, which I do myself. The engine and transmission combination are interesting once you figure out where the power is and how much right foot to use. Around town a light right foot is needed because the throttle tip in on the four cylinder is abrupt. On the highway, a light right foot is also helpful when passing. The CVT for the most part is unobtrusive, especially when you are cruising on flat highway, but go up a hill or demand power to pass and the CVT whines and the engine noise goes up too. This is my first CVT and will be my last. Subaru did program in some shift points but in all honesty they are only good when downshifting to pass someone. I use the shift paddles on the steering wheel because the CVT will respond more quickly. Ride comfort is pretty good especially on good roads. The driver's seat is comfortable but the front passenger seat leaves something to be desired in terms of adjustability which is quite limited. Road noise is well suppressed except on very coarse surfaces. Wind noise is also well suppressed except in crosswinds over 20 MPH or if you have the cross bars open to carry cargo on the roof rack. Handling with the stock Continentals was barely marginal and after 22,000 miles I got rid of them. I replaced them with Pirelli P7 Cintourato H speed rated tires. Big world of difference. The Subaru rode more smoothly and was much quieter too. Handling went from barely marginal to nearly sports car like. Almost no drifting on curves at highway speed and instant response to steering inputs and nominal body roll in emergency maneuvers. Brakes are decent but do not hold up well. I had to replace the rear brakes at 42,000 and the fronts at 57,000 with mostly highway driving. I went with solid rotors on the back and cross drilled and slotted in the front. In both cases I am using high performance Hawk pads and since the change over the car stops really well and in less distance. The engine has been dead reliable. No oil consumption issues for my FB25. I change oil every 4000 miles and use 5W-20 synthetic instead of the 0W-20 synthetic. Oil consumption is less than one-half quart in 4000 miles. Oil change is a snap and it takes me about twenty minutes. Do not try a 5W-30 synthetic in this engine. It will run, but badly, at least in my experience. Climate control is excellent with very fast heat in the winter and very fast cooling in the summer. The A/C does take some power away from the performance and about one MPG in fuel economy. The basic radio/infotainment system is the only negative I have. The radio and CD player itself work well and the sound quality is good. Try pairing a cellphone and that in itself is a small nightmare. The instructions in the manual are beyond convoluted. Sometimes the paired phone is not even recognized. Sound quality is horrendous and in one case I had to hold my cellphone against the driver side window to be able to hear the other person or for them to hear me. Subaru and the dealer offered no support whatsoever for this issue.

I expected better
By jnb

2013 Subaru Outback SUV 2.5i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Certain engines have a problem with oil consumption (like mine). Bearings went after 125K miles. Two tire pressure sensors had to be replaced. I was told that I needed a new strut and the catalytic converted sensor went off. I have never had these issues on other cars I kept for 150K miles.

Oil Consumption Class Action Suit
By Jeffrey

2013 Subaru Outback SUV 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This was my first Subaru and I wanted to enjoy the experience as much as possible. I am an avid snowboarder/skier and everyone raves how awesome Subaru's AWD system is. So, I bought one back in 2013. I am very late in the game in posting this review. Unfortunately, my car was part of the oil consumption class action suit. My car would burn oil like there was no tomorrow. I brought it in to the dealership several times and the service department would just top the oil off. They told me it was normal to have some oil consumption. No, it is not normal! I shouldn't have to fill my engine oil every 500 -1000 miles. I drove this car on several road trips and had to top it off with a quart of oil each time. Finally, I was at the dealership about this oil consumption so much, they finally agreed to do an oil consumption test, of which my car was burning more oil than normal! Not only that, but the longer I spent with the car, the more I realized how cheap the materials were. Hard plastics everywhere! Ugh, and the noisy CVT after awhile just drove me nuts. Road noise and wind noise also plagued this car. I ended up returning the car!