Used 2012 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews - 23 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

"O say can you see MY Legacy"
By L. landino

2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

PERFECT SHAPE

Reliable Red
By john clark

2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Don't leave the key in the ignition with the headlights on and the motor not running. They turn off only when the key is removed. If you turn the overhead map light on while looking for something remember to turn it off before you exit the car. I have experienced 3 dead batteries.

Confidence
By Edward

2012 Subaru Legacy 3.6R Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Traded a 2009 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon for the 2012 Legacy 3.6R Limited. Two very different contraptions I will admit. Other than the loss of ground clearance, I do not regret the vehicle trade at all. In fact, I am very pleased. The Subaru AWD has proved itself here in the SOCAL desert region. Driving on a busy/congested freeway, surface street or traversing dirt roads …. this car handles like a champ. As mentioned, I do miss the Jeep’s ground clearance but the Subaru handles the soft sand here very nicely. I particularly enjoy the confidence in knowing the car’s AWD system and taught steering precisely and predictably move the car safely to where I want it to go. The braking system is more than adequate. The car’s CVT took me a while to appreciate. In short, the Subaru AWD system is very effective and offers road handling confidence I have not experienced since I began driving in 1975. The car is sound and firm (I’ve had cars that rattle both inside and outside while being driven upon rough roadways). Note: I will acquire either a Subaru Forester or Outback so I can again visit the renown Mojave Road.

Undercarriage Rust Issues
By HudsonBob

2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

My Legacy is 5 years old and have had to replace the exhaust system and the oil pan due to bad rust. My catalytic converters will have to be replaced soon due to rust. Luckily mine did not have the oil ring issue that other Legacy owners have had. Going back to Toyota.

It gets better with age
By ET

2012 Subaru Legacy 3.6R Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a a 2012 Subaru Legacy 3.6r new and now am approaching 50k miles. Great all weather handling and more interior room than competitors in its class, especially the rear seat make it a hit when hauling passengers on extended trips. The 3.6 l flat six is torquey and powerful and loves to fly on the interstate. My son-in-law who is a deputy sherriff borrowed it for a vacation trip and was very impressed with how well it handled, how fast it was and how effortlessly it crused. Fuel mileage which I check religiously has continued to improve as the miles have increased. On a recent trip between Asheville, North Carolina and St. Louis, Missouri I averaged 29 mpg driving in fast traffic traveling between 70 an 90 mph. Not too shabby for traveling in hot weather with two people and a trunk full of luggage.