Skip to main content

Used 2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A) Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Legacy for Sale
Select your model:
12345...6

4 out of 5 stars

My 1st SUBARU-"It's a keeper"-STILL!

hank60, 07/08/2014
updated 07/11/2016
Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This 2009 Legacy is a good value for what it is; I bought it used with about 20k miles on it---now it's 4 yrs later with over 75k miles. The AWD is great for the Ohio winters, especially once I replaced the OE tires with higher quality treads. I get about 25 mpg overall city/hwy which is not great, but for having AWD and the comfort and space for me, it's OK. I appreciate the rear seatbacks which fold forward, which gives extra space for storage, or transporting materials from Home Depot when doing weekend projects. I wish the engine had more power for quicker acceleration at times, but it's adequate most of the time. The car has been basically trouble-free...it's a KEEPER for me! UPDATE: I have now had this car for over 6 years, and have put 100,000 miles on it since I got it. It still runs and handles the same. Most of the maintenance has been performed by a local Subaru dealer, except brake jobs, which I felt they were just too expensive. The 4 speed automatic is very outdated, so the acceleration is slow. The newer Legacy with the CVT seem to be a lot quicker and quieter, which I will keep in mind, for some day. The newer models also have improved technology as far as sound systems, navigation, etc. I suppose I will be ready for a more updated model in a few years. This car seems like it will go another 100,000 miles without a doubt. It's still great for the Ohio winters.

2 out of 5 stars
5 out of 5 stars

4.75 out of 5 stars

My First and Only Subaru

Kerensa, 02/23/2015
Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I absolutely loved this car when I had it. I owned it close to 3 years. I needed an AWD vehicle, but I was hesitant to venture into the SUV world just yet. Besides normal maintenance on the vehicle, I literally had no problems with it. I just had to upgrade to something bigger so I was able to see out of it better.

4.88 out of 5 stars

2009 Subaru Legacy Special Edition

edman01, 04/23/2011
Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Just bought this 2009 Subaru Legacy Special Edition with 8500 miles at a good price. I liked the new style but went with the older design. It is fun to drive....

5 out of 5 stars

Great Car!

Ed, 07/12/2009
Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my 3rd Subaru--2 Legacys and one Outback. This is a company car that I drive daily and put over 40,000 miles on per year. To say the least, they have all been great cars. Zero problems with any of them. Between the 3, I've put over 200,000 miles on these cars-- not too bad. The AWD works great in wet weather. This is a very safe, very stable car. I wish the base engine had a little more spunk and wish the ipod input was on the dash instead of in the console. Other than that, buy one, change the oil every 7,500 miles and drive, drive, drive... Oh, and the gas mileage is great. I average 30+ MPG on the interstate with the cruise set between 75-78.

4.5 out of 5 stars

Great Quality, Awesome AWD, & Affordable

chris, 09/12/2008
Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my third legacy and first on in 8 years. Coming from an 06 Acura TL, I thought the handling would not be up to par, but it is a significant upgrade with better control at higher speeds. The ride is firm, but not bouncy. Obviously the four cylinder could use more power or even better another gear or two in the automatic. Fuel economy is about 25mpg with about 30% city driving. The Harmon Kardon sound system blows away the premium system in the Acura. Perfectly clear at all volume levels all the way to the max. Subaru was the only answer since we only purchase Subaru, Honda, and Toyota products and we wanted an AWD car.

12345...6