Used 2001 Subaru Legacy Sedan Consumer Reviews - 21 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Subaru Legacy Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Gas Hog
By Billy Williams

2001 Subaru Legacy Sedan L AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've owned my car for a couple months it has 230000 miles on it it came from Pennsylvania and has terrible rust damage on it and under it. It gets terrible has mileage every and I do mean every 180 miles I have to put gas in it I fill it all the way up and from full to empty I only get 180 miles and then I have to fill it up again.

With a little work wont let you down.
By Wyatt

2001 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

You see; This car is reliable in the same way a Camry is reliable. As long as you don't have your foot on the floor 24/7 the chances of it exploding reduce dramatically and these cars can easily ride you to 500,000 miles. The head gaskets were done at 150,000 miles and were genuinely satisfying to change out in an afternoon. These cars are meant to ride and feel good in the driver's seat not exactly to go fast. After some ECU tuning, I managed to get an even better fuel economy than what was provided from the factory (3-4 MPG increase hwy average).

So gland I got rid of it!
By tomday

2001 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Even if the head gaskets have been done you will be doing them again between 35-40K miles. So unreliable that even engineers I work with got rid of theirs, one was a 2008 other 2010, and have sworn they will never buy another.

Bottom line

If you own a Subaru it's not a matter of "if" but "when" you'll be doing head gaskets to a tune of $2K to $4K.
Don't be fooled by someone trying to sell you one saying the head gaskets don't fail or after 2004 their fine. Their not! There are better cars out there with AWD that are more conferrable and more reliable for about the same price.

Years affected.
1998 - 2012 2.5L engines.
Yes, up to 2012!

If you have one think about selling it before the head gaskets go out

First and last subaru. Their junk
By bgtpeifer222

2001 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my legacy just a few weeks ago. And talk about a big mistake. It has 180,000 miles on it and yes i know thats alot but the dealer clames they will run 280,000 easy. When i bought the car it had its normal subaru noises in it. And just today the rear of my transmission went out of it. No warning no nothing just a loud crack and then the rear of the trans binding. This car is JUNK. first and last one ill ever own.

Somewhat fast. Sounds good with a little purr in the exhaust

Build it better next time around. Or just dont buy one

Not The Best Car I've owned.
By caraddiction

2001 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Ok, I've owned about 11 cars in the past 6 years. I bought this car (Less than 6 mo ago) to have something paid off to save money and get better gas mileage than my 2010 Nissan Xterra. It has failed me. After buying it while driving home the head gaskets failed even after they had been replaced already,2k to fix. Then cat started malfunctioning 900 bucks, head lights burn out in 2 weeks 13 dollars per headlight, I don't touch the bulbs while installing either. Only has 130k on it. It was even owned by a mechanic. I don't know if it was from poor maintenance or Subaru. I've owned subaru in the past and this one has disappointed me tremendously. I am selling it asap.

Great leather seats, Heated is always a nice touch. I love that when I leave the head lights turned on and open the door they automatically shut off no dead battery now. AWD is amazing as well.

Subaru makes a decent car but I've heard they all have head gasket problems and Subaru refuses to acknowledge that. I, sad to say, will not own a Subaru again unless I can buy it brand new off the lot and not have to worry about the head gaskets for awhile.