2020 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews

Save as much as $3,928
Select your model:
12345...22

Pros
Cons

Perfect SUV for me

Subie Fan, 01/12/2020
Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I love my 2020 Forester Limited. This is my 5th Subaru and replaced my 2010 Forester Premium. I decided to upgrade to Limited and added on the upgraded Harmon Kardon audio package, heated steering wheel, and other upgrades so it's almost a Touring level vehicle. I appreciate the luxury inside -- heated leather seats, dual zone climate controls, heated steering wheel, navigation, upgraded audio system, and all the different ways I can listen to music (regular radio, Sirius XM radio, CD, iPod, Pandora). I kid that it's a jukebox on wheels. My car accelerates quickly and I get good gas mileage (26.7 mpg) on a mix of city-highway driving. The safety features are excellent -- backup camera that warns when there's obstacles or cross-traffic approaching, lane deviation warning, pre-collision braking, blind spot warning lights. The exterior is sporty looking, with a spoiler and black multispoke wheels. Really a classy looking SUV. As far as storage, it's quite a bit longer and wider than my 2010 so there's lots of room in the back seat and when the seats are folded. I mostly carry my bikes inside and they fit neatly with room to spare. The extra space means the front cockpit is also much more roomy and comfortable than my 2010. A few criticisms: The nav isn't as good finding some out of the way places that Google Maps can find easily. The voice recognition system isn't great for some things (nav) but good for others (regulating temperature). There's a feature that stops the engine at long traffic lights to save gas, and that can be slightly annoying. Sometimes my iPod doesn't work with the audio system, and I can't figure out why. There are a LOT of icons that pop up on the various screens, and not all are intuitive. I accidentally hit cruise control one day and couldn't figure out what that icon was. And last, there are 6 owner's manuals (3 full, 3 quick) which you have to read to understand the car and its various systems. I've had my car 2 months and I still find myself looking stuff up and figuring out how to customize the various features. (Example: for keyless unlocking, I wanted to unlock the driver's side door but also the passenger side door and lift gate, too.) Still, all in all, it's really the perfect SUV for me.

The Forester Grows Up

RSJ, 04/19/2020
Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have owned the previous generation of the Forester and now drive a 2020 Premium. Subaru has incrementally improved the Forester to the point that it now has few drawbacks. The car is well built, the interior is well done and keeps controls fairly simple although the smallish touch screen does pick up fingerprints way too easily and is not the most intuitive. The basic 6-speaker stereo system is fine for most people - if you are an audiophile, you should upgrade to a model with the Harman Kardon system. The seats are comfortable and there's plenty of room inside for both passengers and cargo. The standard Eyesight Safety System is second to none in the industry. The new "Lance Centering System" which keeps the car in the middle of the lane you are in is a bit overaggressive for my taste - I turned it off. The automatic start/stop system is incredibly annoying - thank goodness there is a switch to turn it off! Like most AWD Subarus, this one handles and drives very good. I have read many reviewers say that the car is under-powered. It is not. I have learned after driving two generations of Foresters with the same basic engine and CVT that if you drive this vehicle "normally" it will reward you with smooth acceleration and plenty of pep. The improved CVT is now almost imperceptible and near perfect for tooling around town or cruising the highway. Its important to note that this Engine and CVT combo has never been good for aggressive driving. If you want something you can drive hard and fast, this is not the vehicle for you. CVT's are not good at jack-rabbit starts and aggressive driving. There's plenty of power for passing so no worries there. Take it easy with this car and you will LOVE the way it drives - buttery smooth and quiet! I drove the new CR-V before I decided on the 2020 Forester and the Forester still beats the CR-V with vastly better visibility, a more spacious feel and a "driver fit" that the CR-V and others just can't match. Driving the Forester is like putting on a comfortable pair of walking shoes and going for a stroll - as long as you don't try to race or sprint in them, you'll be happy! Be sure this SUV is on your test drive list if you are in the market.

Not so "slow" as reviewers claim

Bernie K., 12/01/2019
Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I spent 3 months researching crossovers and came to the conclusion that, as no single vehicle offered everything I wanted, I'd have to decide where I'd be willing to compromise. I live in the Sierra foothills and having driven a very peppy V6 RAV4 for many years, one of the features I did not want to sacrifice was power. However, as this was not my sole priority, the Honda CX-5 turbo's history of oil infiltration issues and the Mazda CX-5 turbo's dismal gas mileage disqualified them as contenders early on. The new Subaru Outback Turbo was being sold at many thousands of dollars over MSRP, simply because of demand, which rendered it unaffordable. Once I considered the remaining vehicles, the Forester emerged as the one that, overall, ticked most of my boxes. Prior to to the test-drive, I'd been conditioned by reviewers' complaints to expect very lethargic performance but that was not my experience! While it failed to keep up with the RAV's oversized V6, it had no difficulty climbing hills and the handling was far superior to the RAV. We subsequently bought a 2020 Forester Premium and have found it's pretty easy to speed driving this vehicle. This makes me question reviewers' expectations regarding power. We need a crossover that will perform well in our rural N. CA locale-- on dirt, in snow, on steep, winding mountain roads. We don't need a sports car. I'm writing this review to assure potential Forester purchasers that, in my experience, this vehicle has plenty of power to do what its actually designed to do. Although I find the Edmunds review inaccurate regarding the Forester's power, it does a good job, otherwise, of describing this vehicle's considerable attributes.

Ad
Build Your Forester®
At a Glance:
  • 9 Colors
  • 5 Trims
  • $24,795starting MSRP

Awesome!

Diane, 11/26/2019
Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Moved to bend and wanted an awd. My Subaru Forester Limited is so well-equipped. Easy to get in and out of. I read the reviews about the lack of power and I disagree. I had a Mercedes Benz 2 turbo sedan and crossed the Subaru off my list. After looking at other vehicles I went back to look at the Subaru Limited and did a test drive. The car has plenty of power. I did obtain the package that includes The back-up camera. Didn't know I would like it so much! I agree with someone else's review that 360 degree would be a good option. The Subaru Forester is not too big and not too small it's just right.

A First Class SUV

C. L. Maley, 03/17/2020
Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I bought my 1st Subaru Forester Limited 19 years ago. In late January I purchased a Forester Premium with two upgrade packages. I went with the Premium because I didn't want leather seats in the hot mid-west. At first glance the interior cabin resembled a mini cockpit! The 2020 Forester has a CD player and plenty of USB ports! Love the keyless entry as well. What attracted me to the vehicle was its safety rating. The driver's seat has front, side and knee air bags. The Starlink is another safety plus too. The eye sight assist and front and rear cameras are additional safety features (these do need to be turned off while going through a carwash). It has also a child safety reminder so infants are not forgotten in rear seats. The interior is roomier. The vehicle is a bit taller and longer than my old Forester. It sits a bit higher off the ground which makes for easier getting in/out for older passengers. The reclining rear seats and cup holder console make it a plus for passengers and another plus is the rear privacy glass. I disagree with reviewers who say this vehicle is lacking in power. I'm usually on the interstates daily and have no problem accelerating right on to them at a pretty good clip. You don't get the road noise in the Forester which is more common to Hondas. The ride is smooth and the seats are extremely comfortable for anyone with a lumbar/back problem. The boxer engine in Subaru is a plus. The Subaru "A" button allows for an automatic shut-off of the engine as a gas saver when idling at intersections, but can be turned off each time the vehicle is started (an option that cannot be turned off in some GM's). Tire pressure reading is available with the click of a button instead of checking tires with a gauge. There is plenty of cargo space where I can plug in my Subaru cooler. I'm hopeful that the 2020 Forester will have good reliability over time. After 19 years, this is a whole new driving experience and I'm lovin' every minute.

12345...22